Why the hate for Loaiza??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why the hate for Loaiza???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:23 pm

franklinsauce wrote:I am bothered more by those who seem to think that people hate Loaiza because fantasy baseball players didn't see it coming, and are jealous...are you on crack? Look, going by statistics is how fantasy baseball works. It's a game of statistics, and knowledge.

Very well put. ;-D

The word "hate" is thrown around way too much nowadays. Just because someone doesn't think a certain player will succeed, it doesn't mean that they "hate" them. It doesn't even mean that they don't like him. Just that they don't think they will perform well.

Personally, I think Manny Ramirez is a jerk. Does that mean I think he will fail next year? No. He will still be a fantasy stud and will put up monster numbers again. I'd have him on any of my teams.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr.DooM » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:30 pm

I don't think Loaiza is going to have the same monster year he did in '03 but I don't think "regression to the mean" is the right term to use either. I think his '04 numbers will be slightly reduced mostly because of better scouting.

To think that he'll return to his 5.x ERA days is a little extreme. I wouldn't discount the effectiveness of adding two new pitches, especially the cutter and the splitter which are the two nastiest pitches in the game. I predict that he'll have an ERA of around 3.3-3.7 and win 15+ games. I doubt his K's will change significantly.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbuk » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:33 pm

I'll say 14 or 15 wins, ERA of about 3.80, decent strikeout numbers. Decent 3rd or 4th starter.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby inkubus » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:36 pm

From a mental standpoint, coming off a great year, and pitching in the all star game, I really don't see him falling that far off his numbers last year. Then again, I may be dipping into the moonshine. B-)
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:58 pm

Flamin Franklinsauce!!!!! Dont flame me!
Flaming not allowed.
Thats my opinio , deal with it.
Best Regards,
RR
Ridgerunner
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Why the hate for Loaiza???

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:53 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Flamin Franklinsauce!!!!! Dont flame me!
Flaming not allowed.
Thats my opinio , deal with it.
Best Regards,
RR

Huh? What did he say that you think he's flaming you? The only thing I saw was the "are you on crack?" comment and it wasn't specifically directed at anyone. Not much different than the post you put up to start the thread. Here it is so you can read it again:

Ridgerunner wrote:I think he is being hated on because none of the so called fantasy experts saw his breakout coming. No one had him as a "sleeper" I think it's a jealousy thing myself. He made people feel dumb last year and some people take offense to that. I have not seen a single soul who thinks he will match last year, why?.....because people are pissed they missed him last year and they blame his game for it!!!!
Whats your take?....
Disclaimer: I am not a Sox fan.
RR

You make a lot of poor accusations in that paragraph. You even ask for everyone else's opinion.

No different than someone simply asking if any Loaiza supporters are on crack. Calling the kettle black on that one.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:04 pm

he called me out, as i was the only one he was referring to. I do not like being attacked personally like that. Hatin' on me anf not Loaiza
Ridgerunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:09 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:he called me out, as i was the only one he was referring to. I do not like being attacked personally like that. Hatin' on me anf not Loaiza

So let me get this straight.

1. You make a ridiculous accusation toward anyone who doesn't believe that Loaiza is going to repeat last year.

2. Someone disagrees with the reasoning.

3. You feel like you are being flamed even though your name was not mentioned?

Odd since according to that theory, you flamed around 90% of the Cafe' members in your original post.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby sportznow » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:30 pm

the hate is because he never won more than 11 games before last season....11!!! His ERA was over 5.00 in both 2001 and 2002 and his whip was above 1.45 in both seasons.
All of a sudden he almost doubles his career high in wins, at the age of 32. His ERA went down almost 3.00, and his WHIP dropped 0.41 from 2002. Theres nowhere to go but down for Loaiza and i think he will win 10-14 games at most this year and his ERA will go up to at least 3.50.
sportznow
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:42 pm

Nowhere to go but down isn't neccesarily a bad thing. Gagne has nowhere to go but down, but I'd still love to have him on my team. You make it sound like a bad thing that he had a Cy Young calibre season. He learned 2 very effective pitches and was one of the best pitchers in baseball. To expect him to go back to his old stats is a stupid thing to do. A drop in stats, sure. It would be hard for anybody to repeat what he did last year. But to completely ignore everything he accomplished last year is stupid.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers