Pitching Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Pitching Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitching Rules

Postby peternincompoop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi,
So my league is a h2h 11 team league. The scoring categories for pitching are

IP ER BB K CG SO W SV BS ERA WHIP PTW K/BB

There are no requirements such as a certain amount of required innings pitched or maximum innings pitched per week. This tends to cause some problems that I have noticed, leading to two major strategies that are exploited. Certain people have terrible starters except for a couple aces. For example one guy has Lincecum and Jimenez and he only starts them. He loses out on categories like IP, K, W, and PTW but he seems to win ER, BB, WHIP, and K/BB every week because he gets quality starts but not many of them. Then there are other people in the league who just grab a ton of starters and throw them all every week every start. They have pretty much no hitters on their bench, they just use roster spots for starting pitchers and have around 10 starters on there team. These guys pretty much are guaranteed to wins categories such as IP, K, W, and PTW. It seems like you can basically split the pitching categories every week by employing one of these two strategies which seems very unfair. I have 6 starters who are all solid but when I play teams like these it is hard for me to win significantly more pitching categories. Both of these strategies seem very unfair to me. I think someone who has a deeper staff with better pitchers should be rewarded but these strategies take away any advantage I have in pitching by splitting the categories each week.

I've heard of a required minimum amount of innings pitched per week, can you also make a maximum amount of innings pitched, or create a maximum number of starters a team is allowed to have? If so what would be a good number of minimum/maximum innings pitched per week or maximum starters a team can have. Or what are some other ways to eliminate this problem and make it more fair? I'm not the creator of the league I just play in it so I don't what kind of rules you can make. I just want to find some ways to make this more fair and suggest them to the creator.
peternincompoop
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 8
Joined: 4 May 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby bigmck » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:23 pm

I have played Fantasy BB 20 years. I have never played in a league with 11 pitching catagories. That is just too many. == I will answer your question. You didn't say which site your play on. On ESPN, they have a Maximum Pitcher Starts each week, ten is probably a good number. In my H2H league the pitcher catagories are W, S, K, Whip and ERA. There is about half the league who tries to use mostly relievers and a few starters. I don't do that. I prefer to try and get good starters and a few relievers. My opinion is that I welcome someone to do it to me. They will lose W and K. There is no guarantee they will win ERA and Whip. If their relievers give up a couple runs, it kills them for the week since they have few innings pitched. I don't see it as a problem, just another way of trying to win. == If you are trying to stop that you can require each team to carry a minimum amount of starters. You would be much better off to not do that in my opinion. Try eliminating all of those catagories and you might try getting an even number of owners in a H2H league. It sure makes for a better league. The schedule is messed up otherwise. Good luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1033
(Past Year: 60)
Joined: 9 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Houston

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby peternincompoop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:57 pm

bigmck wrote:I have played Fantasy BB 20 years. I have never played in a league with 11 pitching catagories. That is just too many. == I will answer your question. You didn't say which site your play on. On ESPN, they have a Maximum Pitcher Starts each week, ten is probably a good number. In my H2H league the pitcher catagories are W, S, K, Whip and ERA. There is about half the league who tries to use mostly relievers and a few starters. I don't do that. I prefer to try and get good starters and a few relievers. My opinion is that I welcome someone to do it to me. They will lose W and K. There is no guarantee they will win ERA and Whip. If their relievers give up a couple runs, it kills them for the week since they have few innings pitched. I don't see it as a problem, just another way of trying to win. == If you are trying to stop that you can require each team to carry a minimum amount of starters. You would be much better off to not do that in my opinion. Try eliminating all of those catagories and you might try getting an even number of owners in a H2H league. It sure makes for a better league. The schedule is messed up otherwise. Good luck


Thanks for the help. Yea I know I didn't start the league so I can't make any changes, but there a lot of things I would like to change. I think there are way too many categories, some of which are very trivial especially for the hitting categories. I forgot to mention I play on ESPN. I'll try to get him to make some of those changes you recommended though, thanks again. Oh, and is 10 a pretty standard number for the maximum starts per week that still seems like kind of a lot to me still. I'm not sure exactly what percent of the time a pitcher goes twice a week, but it seems to me like you would still need around 8 pitchers or so to get the maximum 10 starts per week. After the league was autodrafted everybody had 6 starters I think, I expected the number to be around there.
peternincompoop
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 8
Joined: 4 May 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby bigmck » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

I play in two leagues on ESPN, I run one of them. The one I run has nine starts. The other one has twelve starts. I have never had twelve starts this year, so the number is meaning less. It is too many. Even in my league with nine, it is rare that I getf more. This week I have more than nine, but I think it is only the second time. I just bench the ones that are not too good. Both leagues have nine starting positions and I use two bench spots for pitchers, so it is pretty easy to get to the max number. I don't think that is really a problem though. I play in a NL only league so all the good pitchers are drafted. If you play in a mixed league you need to have a max number of starts because there are so many good starters in the player pool. == One thing a leagues needs also is a low number of player pickups each week. If you can just change players everyday, it takes the skill out of it. One league I am in has no limit. My league has a limit of five each week. The league with no limit just does not take much skill, you just pickup and drop whenevery you want.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1033
(Past Year: 60)
Joined: 9 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Houston

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby peternincompoop » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 pm

bigmck wrote:I play in two leagues on ESPN, I run one of them. The one I run has nine starts. The other one has twelve starts. I have never had twelve starts this year, so the number is meaning less. It is too many. Even in my league with nine, it is rare that I getf more. This week I have more than nine, but I think it is only the second time. I just bench the ones that are not too good. Both leagues have nine starting positions and I use two bench spots for pitchers, so it is pretty easy to get to the max number. I don't think that is really a problem though. I play in a NL only league so all the good pitchers are drafted. If you play in a mixed league you need to have a max number of starts because there are so many good starters in the player pool. == One thing a leagues needs also is a low number of player pickups each week. If you can just change players everyday, it takes the skill out of it. One league I am in has no limit. My league has a limit of five each week. The league with no limit just does not take much skill, you just pickup and drop whenevery you want.


Yea its a mixed league so I think we definitely need to make a maximum. Hes got a max of 10 player pickups per week.
peternincompoop
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 8
Joined: 4 May 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:45 pm

Hate to be harsh here, but you should have thought this through ahead of time. If you had looked at the league settings and then thought of how they could be best maneuvered, you would be reaping the benefits just like your leaguemates. In a league like this, it makes sense to draft pretty much just hitters and then to select pitchers that eat up innings and get Ks late, eve nif their ratios aren't great.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3541
(Past Year: 32)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby peternincompoop » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:10 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Hate to be harsh here, but you should have thought this through ahead of time. If you had looked at the league settings and then thought of how they could be best maneuvered, you would be reaping the benefits just like your leaguemates. In a league like this, it makes sense to draft pretty much just hitters and then to select pitchers that eat up innings and get Ks late, eve nif their ratios aren't great.


Yea I definitely should of. This is my first time doing any fantasy sport. My team was autodrafted and I didn't even know my account info till two or three weeks into the season so I wasn't following it. Looking back now I would of done some things differently.
peternincompoop
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 8
Joined: 4 May 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby D-backsFan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 pm

well then look at it as a learning experience. Try out a regular 5x5 league next year to see how the majority of people play. Plus, any rankings you look at are usually based on 5x5.
D-backsFan
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 168
Joined: 13 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby peternincompoop » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:08 pm

D-backsFan wrote:well then look at it as a learning experience. Try out a regular 5x5 league next year to see how the majority of people play. Plus, any rankings you look at are usually based on 5x5.


Yea true, all these different categories change all the players' value.
peternincompoop
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 8
Joined: 4 May 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitching Rules

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:45 pm

shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 650
Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: H-Town


Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact