THE Oil Spill - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

THE Oil Spill

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

THE Oil Spill

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:50 pm

So why isn't there a thread here on this?

Are we all just too afraid to talk about it? :-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: THE Oil Spill

Postby woodson_28 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:04 pm

I've been on it since Day 1... I just haven't told anybody.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Link? I've heard some people talking about this, but I have to claim ignorance...what are you guys talking about?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:58 pm

I read today that there are some in Congress calling for punitive fines of $100B or more designed to purposely bankrupt BP.

:-S
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Did said oil spill happen recently (<5 years)?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:38 pm

I'm not in the mood to talk about it since it's my backyard (live in Mobile). Jokes don't bother me either, but I still feel most people don't understand how bad it is. Over in Pensacola, it's really washing up on the beach and it was closed earlier this week for 3 days. Heavy machinary and BP workers currently dominate the scene, not tourists. Ripple effect is hotels are recording a ton of cancellations. As you can imagine the rest of the local economy gets hurt as well such as restaurants, stores, etc. Don't even want to get into all those that depend on the water such as fishermen for their immediate livelihood.

Environmentally, it is really wrecking havoc too. In talking to a guy who I randomly met at blockbuster (he's responsible for setting up BP's computer network in Mobile) it's alot worse than the public knows. Boats out in the ocean are running into all sorts of dead wildlife such as a number of dead dolphins. Oysters won't likely be edible for at least 4 years in contaminated areas. They still aren't sure how long fish and other sources of food will be N/A.

Most of the allure that is the Gulf Shores won't likely be the same for a really long time for most residents down here.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that many have put their last bit of hope into Kevin Costner's Miracle Healing Powers. ;-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jfg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:47 pm

The only thing I could say is that people should boycott BP but in reality every other oil company could have the same thing happen tomorrow because of bad management somewhere down the line or on top. It's a dirty business, one that we should be trying to get away from but efforts are always futile because of lobbyists, money or sometimes even the companies coming up with the alternatives.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:17 pm

RedHopeful wrote:...but I still feel most people don't understand how bad it is.

Oh I think we do, at least I do. I'm just about as far as you can get from the region in the U.S. and I fully understand just how bad it is. When you hear, "worst oil leak in history" and "worst environmental disaster in history" you kinda know it's REALLY bad.

It's leaking between 1.47 million and 2.52 million gallons a day of oil......maybe the world really is going to end in 2012. :,-(
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 pm

It's just too bad that this was caused by a company so indestructible like BP. These articles keep coming out about how much oil is spilling out and all of these solutions but we're still no farther than we were when this happened. No one has a clue how to stop this or how much is coming out. This is far from over and will only get worse in another month when the hurricanes start coming to the gulf coast. It's pretty much destroying the entire economy that's left in the South and relief won't come soon enough. Too many people are losing their livelihoods and once they lose it, they'll never get it back.

I work in Oil and Gas and it makes me sick to my stomach that I set up payments for millions of dollars to BP on a weekly basis. :-t
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:11 pm

They have a clue how to stop it, it's just not gonna happen quick. Relief wells are the only thing that's ever worked in the past and that's what BP is doing right now. They began drilling the relief wells May 2, at that time the best case scenario had them being completed in 3 months. That's not to say the leak will be stopped in 3 months, but that's the timetable for the completion of the only fix that's ever worked....keep your fingers crossed that it does. :,-(
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk