Desktop Video Cards... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Desktop Video Cards...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Desktop Video Cards...

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:50 pm

I want to buy a video card for a Gateway tower that was given to me. I'm confused, even after some Google research, about the PCI/PCI-e/PCI-Express business, so what kind of video card would fit into this computer? Would this one work? Also, the power supply, I think, is only 160W, does this mean I'll need to get a new power supply (300/400W) too?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Desktop Video Cards...

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:56 pm

one of the nerds should be able to help you...or PM ACS

my guess is you'll probably need a new power supply though. you should be able to find the requirements on the card manufacturers website
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:50 pm

i bought a new graphics card awhile back for an older desktop only to discover that i needed a new power supply and after i had ordered both of those i found out that my motherboard couldn't support the graphics card either so i basically ended up building a new computer and just moving my hard drive over.

you'll definitely need a new power supply for the graphics card and it just depends on what kind of card you're looking to get whether it will fit. i'm not an expert by any means but those look like normal PCI slots and most new graphics cards are going to need at least PCI-16 slots. for a new graphics card you'd need a new motherboard/processor at which point you're basically building a new computer. if you want to do that i can help, i built a pretty sweet one for around $500.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:54 pm

actually i just checked the link and that looks like its just PCI so it should fit but i would assume you'd still need a new power supply.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Tavish » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 am

You are probably tettering right on the edge of power consumption with 160W. The card maxes out at around 70W, an older desktop is going to use around another 80-90W at peak. You would probably be better off getting a new power supply and a new fan as well.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Tavish wrote:You are probably tettering right on the edge of power consumption with 160W. The card maxes out at around 70W, an older desktop is going to use around another 80-90W at peak. You would probably be better off getting a new power supply and a new fan as well.

What would happen if I don't replace the PS? Would the computer blow up or something? Can I get any old power supply, or do I need a certain one for this tower?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:59 pm

sox 06 wrote:
Tavish wrote:You are probably tettering right on the edge of power consumption with 160W. The card maxes out at around 70W, an older desktop is going to use around another 80-90W at peak. You would probably be better off getting a new power supply and a new fan as well.

What would happen if I don't replace the PS? Would the computer blow up or something? Can I get any old power supply, or do I need a certain one for this tower?

It likely wouldn't blow up, but it might not boot, run sluggish or constantly restart itself when trying to draw power that isn't available. Typically it will be the first since power usage is highest at boot. You will need a power supply that will fit into the tower and make sure it has the correct output connectors for your harddrive (to make things easier).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Alright, I bought a 350 watt power supply and I bought a video card with 512MB of dedicated RAM. The picture quality is much better, but I still have the same problem. When I watch any kind of video (Hulu, Youtube, etc.) the video is really choppy. My internet connection is fine and this connection is wired. I watch Youtube and Hulu on my laptop and the family desktop with no problems. So is this a RAM problem (the soon to be PVR only has 512MB of RAM)?

UPDATE: I watched a DVD using the tower and the video quality was great, nice and smooth :-?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to General Talk