100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Gimp?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gimp?

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:58 pm

When rendering and image, it helps if the thing is nice to look at. Example:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Question #2: An image mask is like a...?

Here is another video of this infant demonstrating complete mastery of Gimp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtFt6axp5s&feature=channel
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:12 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:
soty wrote:That was a pretty cool video. I knew how to do the scale thing, but be careful if you do it too quickly it will distort the image.

When you scale an image down in Gimp, then save it, you ARE actually changing the file size. Correct? I had one incredibly huge image that almost broke my internets. That was a problem. A very confusing thing is the checkered background lurking behind every uploaded picture. What do you call that thing and what does it do?

Also, Firefox seems to crash if you try to upload a photo from Gimp while the Gimp application is open.

Yes, you're changing the file size and the quality of the image when scaling. Just ensure that you aren't stretching the picture too wide or too long.

The checkered background is a transparency or empty space. When your picture is saved as say, JPEG, anything left in that checkered background is saved as whitespace on the image.

Are you sure it's not the exact opposite? If you drag an image out from that checkered box, it disappears. Why is that? and how do you expand the "transparency/empty space"?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:32 pm

Soty, would you be so kind as to give me your best description of an alpha layer?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby soty » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Honestly I don't know? I don't think I have used that before. :-?
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 am

urbanbreez wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:When you scale an image down in Gimp, then save it, you ARE actually changing the file size. Correct? I had one incredibly huge image that almost broke my internets. That was a problem. A very confusing thing is the checkered background lurking behind every uploaded picture. What do you call that thing and what does it do?

Also, Firefox seems to crash if you try to upload a photo from Gimp while the Gimp application is open.

Yes, you're changing the file size and the quality of the image when scaling. Just ensure that you aren't stretching the picture too wide or too long.

The checkered background is a transparency or empty space. When your picture is saved as say, JPEG, anything left in that checkered background is saved as whitespace on the image.

Are you sure it's not the exact opposite? If you drag an image out from that checkered box, it disappears. Why is that? and how do you expand the "transparency/empty space"?

Is the image smaller than the canvas size? Let's say, your project file is 640x480 (canvas) and your image is 320x240. All that checkered space is that space not covered by the image on your canvas, assuming that the 320x240 is your only layer. If you dragged the image out of the canvas, then only the part of the image you see is what will be saved.

You can expand your canvas space by clicking on Image Size or Canvas Size. You should then see a dialog asking you for the image/dimensions you'd like to set. If you shrink all your layers under the canvas size, you'll see that transparent empty space in the background.

Not sure if I'm visualizing things correctly and it's best if you have a screenshot so that I know exactly what you're referring to. :-B
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:09 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Is the image smaller than the canvas size? Let's say, your project file is 640x480 (canvas) and your image is 320x240. All that checkered space is that space not covered by the image on your canvas, assuming that the 320x240 is your only layer. If you dragged the image out of the canvas, then only the part of the image you see is what will be saved.

You can expand your canvas space by clicking on Image Size or Canvas Size. You should then see a dialog asking you for the image/dimensions you'd like to set. If you shrink all your layers under the canvas size, you'll see that transparent empty space in the background.

Not sure if I'm visualizing things correctly and it's best if you have a screenshot so that I know exactly what you're referring to. :-B

No, your doing a fantastic job of explaining. Here is the thing, I run into a problem with the canvas size when I try to add a layer. You know, one image on top of the other. But the Canvas Size adjustment should fix that.

When you have several layers stacked, what function consolidates them?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:20 am

urbanbreez wrote:No, your doing a fantastic job of explaining. Here is the thing, I run into a problem with the canvas size when I try to add a layer. You know, one image on top of the other. But the Canvas Size adjustment should fix that.

When you have several layers stacked, what function consolidates them?

Have you tried resizing the layers? You can resize just the layer instead of the whole canvas, also. So, if you had one picture over the other, but you want some of the other picture to show, just resize the top layer without altering the canvas.

If you want to merge all layers, you want "Flatten Image". This ensures that all the layer modes and any effects you put on your layers stay intact.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:46 am

But if you flatten the image, you won't be able to edit the individual layers anymore.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:But if you flatten the image, you won't be able to edit the individual layers anymore.

So flatten image is the final step?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:02 am

urbanbreez wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:But if you flatten the image, you won't be able to edit the individual layers anymore.

So flatten image is the final step?

Well, what I do is save the layered image in case I want to edit it later, and then save it as a PNG (better quality than GIF and allows transparency unlike JPG). Saving it as a standard image file flattens it anyway so you don't have to take that extra step.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk