I use GIMP whats your questions I will try to help you as best as I can. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gimp?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:40 pm

urbanbreez wrote:The controls on Gimp seem to have a steep learning curve and there is not much in the way online tutorial. Would you agree with this?

I'm having more fun learning Picasa at the moment strictly because of the user interface.

Photoshop can be complex for those who are new to image editing too, but it's a bit more user friendly and like I said earlier, you can find all kinds of tutorials on PS for any degree of difficulty. For those who have used PS to GIMP, GIMP isn't quite as flexible as what you can do with PS. The interface and the steps involved to create the same effect on PS take some getting used to.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I've downloaded GIMP a couple times and gotten frustrated and deleted it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:41 pm

bigken117 wrote:I've downloaded GIMP a couple times and gotten frustrated and deleted it.

Same. I wanted a quality photo editor, wasn't willing to pay up for Photoshop, so I tried GIMP but couldn't get a good handle on it.

But this kid seems to really know what he's doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OTSC_iVT0
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:51 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
bigken117 wrote:I've downloaded GIMP a couple times and gotten frustrated and deleted it.

Same. I wanted a quality photo editor, wasn't willing to pay up for Photoshop, so I tried GIMP but couldn't get a good handle on it.

But this kid seems to really know what he's doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OTSC_iVT0

That child was born to edit photos. It would take me approximately three months just to not finish what he did in that tutorial.

Edit: he did, however, teach me how to scale an image quickly.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby soty » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:20 pm

That was a pretty cool video. I knew how to do the scale thing, but be careful if you do it too quickly it will distort the image.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 pm

soty wrote:That was a pretty cool video. I knew how to do the scale thing, but be careful if you do it too quickly it will distort the image.

When you scale an image down in Gimp, then save it, you ARE actually changing the file size. Correct? I had one incredibly huge image that almost broke my internets. That was a problem. A very confusing thing is the checkered background lurking behind every uploaded picture. What do you call that thing and what does it do?

Also, Firefox seems to crash if you try to upload a photo from Gimp while the Gimp application is open.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:12 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
soty wrote:That was a pretty cool video. I knew how to do the scale thing, but be careful if you do it too quickly it will distort the image.

When you scale an image down in Gimp, then save it, you ARE actually changing the file size. Correct? I had one incredibly huge image that almost broke my internets. That was a problem. A very confusing thing is the checkered background lurking behind every uploaded picture. What do you call that thing and what does it do?

Also, Firefox seems to crash if you try to upload a photo from Gimp while the Gimp application is open.

Yes, you're changing the file size and the quality of the image when scaling. Just ensure that you aren't stretching the picture too wide or too long.

The checkered background is a transparency or empty space. When your picture is saved as say, JPEG, anything left in that checkered background is saved as whitespace on the image.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:29 pm

lol look that tiny child in the video taught me how to turn olivia munn into a pixie and sit on the shoulder of another angel. Thoughts?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Who is man enough to duplicate what the YouChild demonstrated?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 pm

i started off using gimp making sigs and then got on photoshop shortly thereafter. i didnt mind gimp at all nor did i find it that difficult, but the difference i noticed right away with PS is that the same things i was doing on PS than i was doing on GIMP looked so much better.

smoove swore by gimp until i finally put him on to PS. he'd be a good person to ask, but i see soty also replied as well. he'll definitely help you out. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk