Bored? I am. Check Out this First Place NL-Only Team, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Bored? I am. Check Out this First Place NL-Only Team, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bored? I am. Check Out this First Place NL-Only Team, WHIR

Postby Relddem » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Not much to analyze as not much has gone wrong, but if you'd like me to take a look at your team you can just leave a note and I'll be happy to oblige. This is an NL-Only CBS Commissioner League, 5x5 standard roto with daily roster changes, highly competitive. Yes, its a ridiculously deep league, with all the typical roster spots plus an extra active catcher, five outfielders, 9 nine tchers (no positional differentiation between SP and RP), MI, CI, Util, and six reserves. Basically all the everyday players in the NL and every respectable SP, closer, and even many setup men owned. No, I've never done an NL-Only league before. Yes, I'm very happy with the results.

Active Roster:

C - Miguel Montero, Jason Castro
1B - Mark Reynolds (3B)
2B - Dan Uggla
3B - David Wright
SS - Stephen Drew
CI - Ike Davis
MI - Ian Desmond
OF - Carlos Gonzalez, Shane Victorino, Chris Young, Jose Tabata, Eric Hinske (1B)
Util - Neil Walker (2B, 3B)
P - Clayton Kershaw, Ian Kennedy, Ted Lilly, Anibal Sanchez, Felipe Paulino, Jason Hammel, Manny Parra, Francisco Cordero, Octavio Dotel

Reserves:

Tony Gwynn Jr. (OF), Yorvit Torrealba (C), Chris Davis (3B), Scott Olson (P), Aroldis Chapman (P), Brad Lincoln (P)

Before you go assuming I just vultured the waiver wire and none of the other owners have paid attention, note that Ike Davis, Eric Hinske, Felipe Paulino, Jason Hammel, Jason Castro, and most of the rest of the roster have all been on the squad since draft day. The only FA/Waiver additions on the roster are Jose Tabata (who I picked up as a speculative grab a few months ago when it became clear that Fernando Martinez, who I drafted, wasn't going to make an MLB impact this year), Neil Walker, Chris Davis, Yorvit Torrealba, Scott Olson, and Manny Parra.

I can comfortably say the only bad move I've made all year in this league was drafting Aroldis Chapman. The draft was about a week and a half before opening day, when it looked like Chapman had a rotation spot nearly locked, but of course he had the blister problems a few days later and has been essentially a unused roster spot all year, though I obviously can't drop him considering his upside. He was actually the third or fourth pitcher I picked, though I didn't pick many pitchers early. Fortunately, I made up for it with great SP picks later on with Kennedy, Sanchez, Paulino, and Hammel all looking like studs, at least for an NL-Only league and considering their draft position.

Obviously, I went offense heavy early, but even the later picks have panned out wonderfully. I initially drafted Daniel Murphy for my CI spot, but mitigated the risk by drafting Ike Davis with one of my last picks, as well as Fernando Martinez, figuring there was a good chance one or the other would get an early season callup, either one having much more upside than Murphy. I held onto Fernando for about a month, but when he got hurt I scouted around and saw Tabata was having a nice season in Triple-A and knowing how desperate the Pirates were for offense picked him up. The only thing that went wrong offensively was at the catcher position, as Towles won the opening day catcher job over Castro for the 'Stros and Montero went down with an injury opening week. Fortunately, I was able to put a waiver claim on George Kottaras before the undrafted players cleared and later picked up Torrealba when it became clear he would get at least partial playing time in San Diego, and that turned out to be plenty to hold me over for a few months. I just dropped Kottaras for Chris Davis, since Kottaras recently lost his job, but Montero's back, Castro's been called up, and he brought Chris Davis with him, which is a wonderful turn of events for my roster. If anything, my only weakness is that I have too many infielders and not enough outfielders. I'll probably start shopping Desmond and Torrealba to owners desperate for SS and C production, then I can stick Walker at MI and Chris Davis at Util and hopefully find a mid-lower tier everyday outfielder. Still, that's hardly a weakness. All the early prospect hoarding as paid off and I have everyday players at pretty much every position save Hinske, who only plays against righties, but even as is, on days the Braves face lefties I just stick Gwynn in the lineup to try and get some cheap steals.

I'm currently sitting in first place with 93.0 points, though another team is making a push at 91.5 points, the closest anyone's been to me since I took over the first place five or six weeks ago. I'm in first place in HR, SB, R, and RBI, with an absolutely mammoth lead in RBI (48 over the owner in second). I'm also third place in strikeouts and just two Ks behind the league leaders who are currently tied. I'm basically middle of the pack in everything else, which is just fine as long as I maintain the current paces.
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team