Genie if you have a moment - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Genie if you have a moment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Genie if you have a moment

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:16 am

Hey Genie,

If you have a moment could you please look into this.
Yahoo has Jake Arrieta giving up 6 Earned Runs Sunday, every other sports site has it as only 5 Earned Runs.
It made the difference in a couple of matchups in leagues I'm commissioner of, so I just wanted to see what was going to happen so I can let the parties know. I looked into the pending stat corrections page, and did not see anything.

I know it's tricky for corrections once you get to Monday morning, so I wanted to get this up quickly.
I had a situation last year where an illegitimate Quality Start was giving to a player, and it wasn't fixable because it wasn't done by first thing Monday morning.

Thanks for all your help
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Genie if you have a moment

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 am

Just saw this now. I'll try to look into it today; it does look like something is fishy. It may be too late for h2h matchups, but I'll do what I can.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:27 am

Thank you.

It does seem like this is an issue that's going to come up a few times a year for H2H.
When a stat error happens on a Sunday, if it's not caught within a few hours (which is tough on a Sunday as I realize people aren't at work), it seems like it's unfixable for H2H leagues.
I know it's stated that once Monday morning hits it's too late for H2H, is there any way to give some leeway to make the corrections? Like maybe Monday at noon or something?

Just seems like when an error occurs on a Sunday it isn't caught a lot of the time.
Then by the time it's brought up it's too late.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Maris09 wrote:Thank you.

It does seem like this is an issue that's going to come up a few times a year for H2H.
When a stat error happens on a Sunday, if it's not caught within a few hours (which is tough on a Sunday as I realize people aren't at work), it seems like it's unfixable for H2H leagues.
I know it's stated that once Monday morning hits it's too late for H2H, is there any way to give some leeway to make the corrections? Like maybe Monday at noon or something?

Just seems like when an error occurs on a Sunday it isn't caught a lot of the time.

thats not a bad idea. The H2H games go final early in the morning, like at 3 or 4 am (pst). What's the harm in bumping that back till 12, just to make sure the stats are all correct.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm

wrveres wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Thank you.

thats not a bad idea. The H2H games go final early in the morning, like at 3 or 4 am (pst). What's the harm in bumping that back till 12, just to make sure the stats are all correct.

The games go final when our overnight processing happens. If that is delayed by even an hour or so (due to our provider giving us stats later than usual, for instance), we're inundated with complaints. The Cafe often chimes in with how awful we are because our updates haven't happened. I can see the benefits you suggest, but I also know we'd be completely swamped with complaints if we routinely ran updates later.

Anecdotally, I also think we seldom get corrections in time for this to help, either. By the time someone (us or a customer) notices, and we report it to the provider, and they confirm that there is a problem, then they feed us the corrected data, etc. etc., my suspicion is that we'd need to delay quite a bit to actually help the problem.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:56 pm

I understand your second point, and I guess your hands are truly tied.

As for the first point, you guys have the ability to post messages on the front page of all the leagues, and whenever there is a delay, or something out of the normal that causes complaints, I would think a little proactive explanation posted there would go along way towards alleviating the problems at customer service.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Seems like there's got to be a way to get the stats correct though, even if it means changing the scores up to a day after. I mean, getting it right should be paramount to anything else.

Obviously this situation doesn't happend very often at all (maybe once or twice a year), but to me that's just another reason to simply go ahead and fix what's been counted incorrectly, even if it means having to adjust some scores half a day later, once a year.

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can have great impact.

For example last year I was the one that had the situation where my opponent was incorrectly given an extra Quality Start. It ended up losing me a Category that week, and I ended up finishing the H2H regular season in 3rd place (a half game out of 2nd)....which thus cost me getting a buy week, and of course I got booted out of the playoffs in the first round instead of getting a free pass into round two. Obviously that was an extreme scenario, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that big a deal to do all the updates as usual, and then the one time a year when something incorrect slips through, just go ahead and change it 12 or so hours later. Seems like getting it right should trump a few people emailing in because they may have had their outcomes correctly adjusted.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:36 am

So....anything on this?
Nothing?

I emailed Yahoo Sunday Night....and received the standard automated response I received the last time this happened, which again said basically nothing.
Only that "corrections will be processed only if they apply to the most recently completed matchups"....which is an odd thing to say considering this is the most recently completed matchups, so that made no sense.

How many times does this have to happen before a process is put in place to correct it?

Getting the score right.....kiiiind of an important part of fantasy baseball. No?

:-t

Here's a better automated response, ya know, for next time this happens.

Dear Person who lost when they should have won because a stat error occurred on a Sunday and not earlier in the week.

If your stat error occurred on a Sunday, you're eff 'd.
There is no process in place to fix this. We hope your error occurred before Sunday.

Sincerely,
Yahoo
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:06 pm

I always get a solid chuckle out of your posts regarding Yahoo. Kudos.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 373)

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I always get a solid chuckle out of your posts regarding Yahoo. Kudos.

Yeah I suppose it’s easy to chuckle when it’s not happening to you.....TWICE!

Believe me, I'd rather have the correct stats counted and not need to make a post like this, but it can be pretty frustrating to lose when you're supposed to have won. It also magnifies it when all other scoring errors are adjusted, except those that happen late on a Sunday.

I did think my new and improved automated response was pretty funny.
I'd rather get something like that than getting smoke blown up my... :-°

It's gonna be pretty messed up for someone if/when it happens during a playoff matchup.
Just sayin'....

Seems like having a fix in place would be a good idea.
Can you image playing the whole season....then winning your playoff matchup....only to have an uncorrected stat error cost you %-6
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers