Allowing this trade may cause a problem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Allowing this trade may cause a problem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Allowing this trade may cause a problem

Postby Fantasy GM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:45 pm

I commish a competitive, 12-team H2H points league where teams can keep up to 3 players. When it comes to trades, I trust the owners and will only veto a trade for two reasons:
1.) There are signs of collusion, or teams working together
2.) The trade is so unbalanced that it will hurt the team (or not help in any possible way) both this season and perhaps following season as well.

With that in mind, I am currently reviewing a trade between a fringe contender and a last-place team. The trade is:
FRINGE CONTENDER GETS: SP Verlander
LAST-PLACE TEAM GETS: SP Livan Hernandez, SS Rollins

In a league where ace starting pitchers can help carry a team, this move is a head-scratcher. The last-place team will most likely not reach the playoffs, and Verlander is one of his team's top players. The last-place team's pitching, aside from Verlander, is anemic (Dempster/Colby Lewis/Slowey/Vazquez/Wade Davis are his other SP's). Not only is it undersized, as most teams carry 8-9 SP's to make 12 starts for the week, but it's also below-average. Without Verlander, his pitching is painful.

Livan Hernandez had a great start to the season, but there's a good chance the mediocre Livan will return. Meanwhile, Rollins is injured, but should be back next week. His current starting SS is Yunel Escobar, who is starting to come around. Of the three players in this trade, Verlander is the one possible keeper. The last-place team's only possible keepers are Mauer and maybe Matt Holliday.

With all of this in mind, do I veto the trade? I have yet to veto a trade in our league, but several league members have complained to me that the deal is extremely one-sided. I have already e-mailed the last-place team, only to see how he feels the trade helps his team. In my opinion, the trade is unfair, and because keepers and money ($25 fee) are involved, this trade might become veto #1. However, it doesn't help that I encouraged the last-place team to be more active in the league earlier in the day. This trade shows he's active...but it's potentially a long-term disastrous trade.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Allowing this trade may cause a problem

Postby RoxSox8 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:20 am

As a commish myself, if there is no way the teams are colluding then the trade stands. If Rollins has a great second half and Verlander lands on the DL, this trade looks wonderful. More importantly, I would not invite the last place team back to a competitive league next year if you don't think he is a skilled fantasy player.
I'm not Mr. Lebowski man, I'm the Dude.

Red Sox Fan
Rockies Fan
RoxSox8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Singles » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:33 am

I don't think the trade is so unbalanced that it could be vetoed So with that the only thing left would be collusion. if there is no collusion involved then the trade should stand. I understand his pitching takes a huge hit but I don't think it is so awful. Rollins could have a big scond half.
Singles Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baegames » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:40 am

Forget Livan.

Who would you rather have if you were drafting for 2011 right now, Rollins or Verlander.

I'd probably take Rollins, but Verlander for 2010. Therefore, for a keeper league, the deal makes sense.

Help with mine:

viewtopic.php?t=415062
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 665)

Postby mayfijr » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:50 am

Unless I suspected collusion, then I wouldn't veto the trade. If Rollins has a good 2nd half, then the trade looks much more even, and he definitely has the potential to do so.
mayfijr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Fantasy GM » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:07 am

While Rollins is a 2nd half player, ace starting pitching carries the league. Verlander is an ace. Rollins is a good SS, but he already has Yunel Escobar, who isn't bad. For keepers, I disagree with the consensus; Verlander is the better keeper in this league. A lot of SP will be kept, and I feel Verlander is more valuable than Rollins.

IMO, the trade is very unbalanved. But is it worth a veto? That is the question.
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

Your argument is based on the trade being "fair" rather than either of the two points you made regarding whether a trade should be vetoed.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)

Postby converge241 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:18 pm

There is no grounds for a veto here.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 128)

Postby fast dogs » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:34 pm

does the last place team understand how skew'd the setting are toward SP?
curious what the '09 point totals for those 2 were, maybe last place should be too
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 340)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:55 pm

No way would I veto this. Rollins could have a great second half, and as a last place team, why not try to shake things up? I wouldn't make this trade myself, but I can think of reasons why someone might consider doing it, so I would definitely let it through.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner