I love Baseball, but here are things I hate about baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I love Baseball, but here are things I hate about baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I love Baseball, but here are things I hate about baseball

Postby wrveres » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:25 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
wrveres wrote:That stupid wall in Boston. Burn that ballpark down already.

I would guess that you have never been there. Just a guess, though.

I have never been to Cuba either. It doesn't mean the place isn't a dump.

Tear down the wall!!
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:19 am

wrveres wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

Tear down the wall!!

Blasphemy.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:23 am

pjalst wrote:
ayebatter wrote:
pjalst wrote:I hate so called Experts/analyst who have never played pro baseball on any level.

Watch it there pj, you're getting real close to dissing a bunch of Cafe members. ;-)

I repeat, I hate so called Experts/analyst who have never played pro baseball on any level.

Do you hate Experts/analysts who value a coal company for Goldman Sachs despite never having worked in coal? The data revolution has arrived and branched into everything, my man. I would trust Nate Silver's projection of what Manny Ramirez was going to do next year over any grizzled lifer for some professional baseball team. It's all numbers and probabilities and you don't learn those standing at home plate in a big league park. Having both doesn't hurt you but if you could only have one, you're putting your chips on the wrong square.

ETA: Think about Joe Morgan. He played plenty of pro baseball and was one of the best players of all time. Yet, he's absolutely terrible with most of his analysis. Every once in a while he'll break out a nugget which I didn't know and wouldn't have known except for having played, but his overall level of commentary and insight is extremely low and superficial. I would rather hear Rob Neyer talk about a ballgame any day.
Last edited by Matthias on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jake_harv88 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:23 am

wrveres wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

Tear down the wall!!

I've been to fenway and can say that Fenway is the ugliest ballpark I've ever seen. Its uncomfortable, expensive, and just generally terrible.

And oh yeah there's a stupid wall in left field...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby gnarboots11 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:35 am

I have been to Fenway probably a dozen times. I have sat on the field behind the opponents on deck circle, I have been there for Red Sox Yankees, I have seen it all. I agree the place is a dump, its uncomfortable and its overpriced.

Anyways, the worst thing about baseball is INTERLEAGUE PLAY. Why o why do I have to watch the Angels vs Brewers or last year Angels vs Pirates or even right now Angels vs Cubs, WHO CARES? The main problem with interleague play is that there are already way too many games. With 162 games it takes away the importance of the regular season games. The season should be cut down and the easy way to do that is to eliminate the waste of time interleague play. Also, eliminate teams, theres way too many teams. Just like every business across America they are struggling and when you struggle you need to cut the fat and make your business more efficient. The league is watered down and even the good teams really aren't that great. You could wipe out any of these teams and it would make the league better as a whole Mariners, Royals, Marlins, Nationals, Indians, Orioles, Oakland A's, Reds, Brewers, Pirates, Dbacks, Rockies, Padres. Pick any 4 of those teams and wipe them off the face of the earth and nobody would care, eliminate interleague waste of time, and cut the season down to like 100 games, BOOM! Get with the times baseball, we all have lives and we dont have time for your nonsense waste of time games, how many friggin series do we need to watch against the royals? seriously, who cares.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:48 am

gnarboots11 wrote:I have been to Fenway probably a dozen times. I have sat on the field behind the opponents on deck circle, I have been there for Red Sox Yankees, I have seen it all. I agree the place is a dump, its uncomfortable and its overpriced.

Anyways, the worst thing about baseball is INTERLEAGUE PLAY. Why o why do I have to watch the Angels vs Brewers or last year Angels vs Pirates or even right now Angels vs Cubs, WHO CARES? The main problem with interleague play is that there are already way too many games. With 162 games it takes away the importance of the regular season games. The season should be cut down and the easy way to do that is to eliminate the waste of time interleague play. Also, eliminate teams, theres way too many teams. Just like every business across America they are struggling and when you struggle you need to cut the fat and make your business more efficient. The league is watered down and even the good teams really aren't that great. You could wipe out any of these teams and it would make the league better as a whole Mariners, Royals, Marlins, Nationals, Indians, Orioles, Oakland A's, Reds, Brewers, Pirates, Dbacks, Rockies, Padres. Pick any 4 of those teams and wipe them off the face of the earth and nobody would care, eliminate interleague waste of time, and cut the season down to like 100 games, BOOM! Get with the times baseball, we all have lives and we dont have time for your nonsense waste of time games, how many friggin series do we need to watch against the royals? seriously, who cares.

I dislike interleague play but just because it waters down some of the great matchups, both individual and franchise, that are otherwise reserved for the All Star Game or World Series.

Re: too many games, pfah. By the nature of baseball scoring games can literally be decided by one bad hop or a ball being a few feet this way or that. That's why even the best baseball teams in any season struggle to win even 60% of their games. It's not like the NBA or the NFL where teams winning 75% of their games are common and teams winning over 90% of their games are possible. So you need a larger sample size, i.e. more games, in order to arrive at a better determination on who the best teams are.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ursa » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:37 am

gnarboots11 wrote:I have been to Fenway probably a dozen times. I have sat on the field behind the opponents on deck circle, I have been there for Red Sox Yankees, I have seen it all. I agree the place is a dump, its uncomfortable and its overpriced.

No idea where you come from but I am willing to bet it isn't Seattle, Kansas, Florida, Washington, Cleveland, Baltimore, Oakland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Colorado or San Diego. Thank you for not including the Twins.

It's probably New York. If so, you might like to know that many of us out here wish the Yankees would piss off into their own league forever. Games would certainly speed up and we'd be spared the ESPN and other media slobbering and pandering.

I guess that brings me to what I hate about baseball - the Noo Yawk Spankees.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby gnarboots11 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Nope, not New York, but you better hope the Yankees dont piss off and die because they support your small market non-profitable team. The luxery taxes they pay each and every year subsidize all of these small market nothing teams who get a couple hundred fans to the game. You know what that's called? COMMUNISM! and we all know, communism doesn't work. The problem with communism is that people don't have to try and they can get paid, COUGH COUGH FLORIDA MARLINS and thus it hampers progression and effort. The Marlins entire income is directly from the Yankees, so I would bet they would really hate to see the Yankees go bye bye as you wish. Believe me, I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox as much as anybody, but the truth is the truth and acting dillusional with hatred doesn't get you anywhere. The MLB wouldn't skip a beat by losing the few hundred fans of the Marlins, in fact they would gain fans because young players like Hanley Ramirez and Mike Stanton could go to a large market and draw alot more attention. All sports need to cut the fat, times are tough and carrying these small market weaklings drags down the league as a whole. The facts are the facts and this cannot be argued.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:23 pm

Ursa wrote:It's probably New York. If so, you might like to know that many of us out here wish the Yankees would piss off into their own league forever. Games would certainly speed up and we'd be spared the ESPN and other media slobbering and pandering.

How is it the Yankees' fault that they're 'slobbered and pandered over'? I feel like many small market teams have that inferiority complex against the larger market ones like the Yankees and Red Sox. Is it honestly their fault that they spend their money? It's like getting upset at a billionaire for buying a bunch of expensive cars.

Get upset with not having a salary cap, or east coast bias from media outlets, or stingy owners. Don't get pissed at a team simply doing anything in their power to win the World Series.

The slow games, on the other hand... :-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Matthias » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:45 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
Ursa wrote:It's probably New York. If so, you might like to know that many of us out here wish the Yankees would piss off into their own league forever. Games would certainly speed up and we'd be spared the ESPN and other media slobbering and pandering.

How is it the Yankees' fault that they're 'slobbered and pandered over'? I feel like many small market teams have that inferiority complex against the larger market ones like the Yankees and Red Sox. Is it honestly their fault that they spend their money? It's like getting upset at a billionaire for buying a bunch of expensive cars.

Get upset with not having a salary cap, or east coast bias from media outlets, or stingy owners. Don't get pissed at a team simply doing anything in their power to win the World Series.

The slow games, on the other hand... :-b

Another concept done to death, but saying that the Yankees are only successful because they spend their money is like saying that the only reason that someone whose parent is a janitor didn't buy them a car like Bill Gates did for his child is because his parent didn't love them enough. It ignores enormous structural market advantages that have nothing to do with willingness to spend money.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers