Trade Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Help

Postby AirTimid » Wed May 22, 2002 8:33 am

Hi, I play in a 5x5 league, NL only. Offensive categories are: runs, RBI, HR, SB and Avg. Pitching Categories are: Wins, K, ERA, Whip and Saves. My pitching is quite good.
Randy Johnson,
Jon Leiber,
Armas Jr.,
Kevin Brown,
Vincente Padilla,
Brandon Duckworth,
Woody WIlliams,
Carlos Hernandez,
Billy Wagner
Antonio Alfonseca.

My problem is with hitting.

C-Ausmus
C-Corkey Miller
1b-Sean Casey
2b-Todd Walker
ss-Aurilla (just picked up ramon e martinez)
3b-adrian beltre
of-JD Drew
of-Gary Sheffield
of-Juan Pierre
of-Daryle Ward
of-Lance Berkman
CI-Paul Loduca
MI-Marcus Giles
Util-Mark Kotsay

My lineup isn't bad, they are just all slumping at the same time. I'm looking to get some more bats. I was offered Brian Giles, Durazo and Aaron Boone for Randy Johnson. I think that is a fair deal, just wondering if any of you think this trade will help my team?
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed May 22, 2002 8:52 am

Welcome aboard!

I agree that you should try to deal pitching (that's a pretty imposing group you have) for hitting, but I don't think this deal is right for you. Giles is a stud, but he's been performing a bit below expectations so far. What's more important, of isn't really an area where you need too much help. Durazo could be huge, but it's not certain that he'll play every day. B1oone may be out of a job entirely if Kearns is shifted to 3b. All in all, this is too risky a package to deal the Big Unit for, and doesn't address your primary needs.

I'd either shop one of your lesser starters, or see if you can get a better deal for Johnson. You have some solid hitters to compliment your pitching staff - there's no need to panic, even though it can be frustrating when many of your guys slump at the same time.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

thanks

Postby AirTimid » Wed May 22, 2002 9:17 am

Thanks. I'd like some more pop in my lineup seeing as Aurilla is out for a month. Any suggestions on whom I should be looking for and who should I deal?

PS. How long have you guys been around? I've been searching for forums and sites for Fantasy baseball, and they are either pay sites or the forums are like a morgue.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Wed May 22, 2002 9:42 am

I'd look for guys who either fill a big need (catcher, for instance) or are underperforming and might do well. If you can do both at the same time (get Lieberthal cheap?), so much the better.

As far as players to dangle are concerned, Padilla or Hernandez might be a good place to start. Both are excellent, and Padilla especially is much talked about now - they should bring a very nice return, and your pitching staff is good enogh to soak up the loss fairly easily. Listening to offers for Kevin Brown probably wouldn't hurt, either.

By the way, this is a league without a bench, right?

We're still pretty new - we've only been around since March (excluding several months of preparation before going live). One of the reasons we started this site was our annoyance at the ever-increasing trend of charging visitors to use fantasy sites. Pay sites have their role, certainly, but they shouldn't be the only option.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AirTimid » Wed May 22, 2002 10:20 am

It's a Yahoo league and we do have a bench. Bobby Hill, Deangelo Jimenez and Eric Owens are currently on my bench. Aurilla and Kevin Millar are on my DL. I like Kevin Brown, and he looks to be improving with every start. I think he's been pretty good his last 3. My only concern is with his injury status. I made one other proposal concerning Randy Johnson, and it's a doosy. I offered Randy Johnson, Eric Owens and Daryle Ward for Sammy Sosa and Chipper Jones. It may be unfair in favor of me, but the owner i'm trading with has the worst pitching staff. His two aces are Millwood and Brad Penny. His other regulars include the reliever who blew the game for the dodgers last night, josh fogg, carl pavano.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Wed May 22, 2002 10:29 am

That doesn't look terribly unfiar to me, although a lot will hinge on how Ward does for the rest of the season. Are you allowed to pick up players who aren't in the big leagues yet? Taking a gamble on players such as Cust or Byrd might bring higher dividends than having Jimenez or Owens on your bench.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AirTimid » Wed May 22, 2002 10:34 am

No go on picking up players who aren't in the league yet.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Wed May 22, 2002 10:37 am

Oh well. That still leaves trades (as well as trying to have a good waiver priority when promising bats come up). If the Unit-Sosa deal doesn't work, you could try snaring Chipper with a lesser sp. if the other team needs pitching, this might help both sides.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AirTimid » Wed May 22, 2002 10:46 am

Cool. I appreciate the help. My only annoyance with this particular owner is that he probably checks his roster once per week, so it takes FOREVER to hear back on trades. Oh wells. Patience is a virtue...whoever came up with that should be shot :-D
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers