Windows XP Validation Issue - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Windows XP Validation Issue

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Windows XP Validation Issue

Postby sox 06 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:26 pm

I was given a used Gateway desktop that I decided to turn into a PVR (personal video recorder). The friend I got it from wanted the hard drive taken out. I bought a new hard drive and a second stick of RAM. I was going to put Ubuntu on it, but I figured with the computer being made in 2003, it might be hard finding the drivers for it. Am I wrong here? Anyways, here's what I did, I have two Windows XP discs laying around (one for our PC and another for my sister's laptop). I used one of the discs to install XP onto this desktop and I tried using the Product Key on the back of the tower to activate Windows, but I was given an error message that said the Product Key wasn't authorized. Is there a way to get another product key or do I need to buy another physical Windows XP disc in order to do the install?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Windows XP Validation Issue

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:03 am

Most OEM recovery discs and all the out of the box XP discs are keyed to a specific product key so using the COA code from the unit won't work to validate. There are some OEM discs out there that will work with any code and install a perfectly valid copy but they can be a pain to find.

BTW Ubuntu will work just fine on pretty much any PC, drivers shouldn't be a problem.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:23 am

Tavish wrote:Most OEM recovery discs and all the out of the box XP discs are keyed to a specific product key so using the COA code from the unit won't work to validate. There are some OEM discs out there that will work with any code and install a perfectly valid copy but they can be a pain to find.

BTW Ubuntu will work just fine on pretty much any PC, drivers shouldn't be a problem.

Alright, maybe I'll just try Ubuntu. I started downloading it on my laptop and the time remaining on the download was two days 8-o
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:50 am

Ubuntu should work fine. YOu may have a problem with your recorder hardware though and drivers. But might as well try. Doesn't take long to install
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:45 pm

It only took 34 minutes to download Ubuntu onto another desktop that I have, but it said it was going to take two days to download using my laptop :-? Same wireless internet connection and my laptop blows the desktop away when it comes to specs, weird. I'll be installing Ubuntu on the soon to be PVR and report back.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:24 pm

sox 06 wrote:It only took 34 minutes to download Ubuntu onto another desktop that I have, but it said it was going to take two days to download using my laptop :-? Same wireless internet connection and my laptop blows the desktop away when it comes to specs, weird. I'll be installing Ubuntu on the soon to be PVR and report back.

Can't you just burn it from your desktop....or try another source?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:28 pm

acsguitar wrote:
sox 06 wrote:It only took 34 minutes to download Ubuntu onto another desktop that I have, but it said it was going to take two days to download using my laptop :-? Same wireless internet connection and my laptop blows the desktop away when it comes to specs, weird. I'll be installing Ubuntu on the soon to be PVR and report back.

Can't you just burn it from your desktop....or try another source?

Yeah I just transferred it from the desktop to my laptop and then I put it on a disc. The install went fine, but the TV tuner didn't work with it (as I figured it probably wouldn't). Can you still buy a copy of Windows XP? I'm looking on Amazon and I'm seeing some ridiculous prices for it.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:32 am

I was able to get Windows XP activated/validated somehow. I used the second XP disc that I had lying around and when I entered the Product Key on the COA label on the back of the tower, it said that the key was unauthorized. So I wanted to see if the TV tuner would work with XP before I tried buying a copy of it. This required me to reboot the computer and after the reboot, I tried to activate Windows once more just for the heck of it. I clicked on "Activate Windows," and it said "Checking internet connnectivity." Now, usually the screen that prompts you to enter the Product Key comes up, but another screen came up that said, "Your Windows has been activated." 8-o :-D

Now that I have apparently activated XP, does anyone know of a good free TV tuner software program? I've been using either HP MediaSmart (came with my laptop) or Windows Media Center (also came with my laptop) but neither will work with XP.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to General Talk