Steaks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Steaks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Steaks.

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:04 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:It's not really a bloody piece of meat per se, but you can't beat a solid tartare.

I'm not a fan of tater sauce.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:16 am

I perfer mine rare and tend to prefer bone-in ribeyes or just straight tartares, though I have a healthy appreciation for most cuts. If i'm going low-rent and grabbing something from the grocery store that's not cut thick enough, i'll top it with some Lawry's seasoned salt. If it's a better cut then I'll do the kosher salt & ground pepper, just a little to cook and then on the side for eating. As far as eating out, here are my favs:

Steak Tartare
Bourbon Steak - Scottsdale, AZ
Galvin Bistro de Luxe - London, UK
Shula's - Chicago, IL

Non-tartare
16oz bone-in filet - Joe's Stone Crab - Chicago, IL
20oz 40-day dry-aged bone-in ribeye - David Burke's Primehouse - Chicago, IL
Bone-in ribeye (dry-aged) - Smith & Wollensky - Chicago, IL
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:26 am

RugbyD wrote:I perfer mine rare and tend to prefer bone-in ribeyes or just straight tartares, though I have a healthy appreciation for most cuts. If i'm going low-rent and grabbing something from the grocery store that's not cut thick enough, i'll top it with some Lawry's seasoned salt. If it's a better cut then I'll do the kosher salt & ground pepper, just a little to cook and then on the side for eating. As far as eating out, here are my favs:

Steak Tartare
Shula's - Chicago, IL

Non-tartare

we have a Bourbon Steak in Detroit...looks like both are under the Michael Mina umbrella...i'll have to give it a shot one of these times
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:I perfer mine rare and tend to prefer bone-in ribeyes or just straight tartares, though I have a healthy appreciation for most cuts. If i'm going low-rent and grabbing something from the grocery store that's not cut thick enough, i'll top it with some Lawry's seasoned salt. If it's a better cut then I'll do the kosher salt & ground pepper, just a little to cook and then on the side for eating. As far as eating out, here are my favs:

Steak Tartare
Shula's - Chicago, IL

Non-tartare

we have a Bourbon Steak in Detroit...looks like both are under the Michael Mina umbrella...i'll have to give it a shot one of these times

At the Fairmont in Scottsdale the presentation was pretty cool. It's prepared tableside with the non-egg ingredients lined up in strips and then it's all mixed together. What I really liked about this was that the ingredients were very finely chopped so you weren't socked with a giant burst of raw onion or caper in any one bite that overpowered the rest of the flavors.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 pm

When I grill I grill ribeyes. I prefer mine medium, but if I have to go one way or the other, I prefer a little more done than bright red and chewy in the middle. I like portobella (sp?) mushrooms and grilled asparagus with it, no sauce.

When I go out for a steak, I get a prime rib and dunk it in a TON of horseradish.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't usually grill or cook steak at home, but I enjoy a Florentine steak. I get mine Porterhouse cut, put a bit of salt and olive oil, and cook it on a charcoal grill until rare. No additional seasoning whatsoever is needed and just let the steak speak for itself, really. If I like a Spanish flair, I just add cumin and cayenne pepper.

I normally go to the restaurant for steak. Fleming's is an institution in L.A. for great steak and on the high end, I like Cut in Beverly Hills and BOA in West Hollywood from time to time. Vegas is chock full of steakhouses and I liked Michael Mina's Stripsteak at Mandalay Bay. Just to name a few, of course.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm exactly the opposite, AD. I can't justify going to a steak restaurant and paying triple what the meal would cost me at home. Plus I'd have the fun of grilling, and I'd get it exactly how I want it.

Once you're able to cook at home, eating out just becomes a break, not an event. It's been a long, long time since I've gone to a restaurant and didn't think, "I could make this at home for half the money and just as good." We only go out with friends and family these days.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm

knapplc wrote:I'm exactly the opposite, AD. I can't justify going to a steak restaurant and paying triple what the meal would cost me at home. Plus I'd have the fun of grilling, and I'd get it exactly how I want it.

Once you're able to cook at home, eating out just becomes a break, not an event. It's been a long, long time since I've gone to a restaurant and didn't think, "I could make this at home for half the money and just as good." We only go out with friends and family these days.

This is true. It's just that cooking steak isn't a specialty and I don't eat steak very often in the first place (try to keep consuming red meat in moderation). When it comes to everything else, nothing beats home cooking and sharing it with friends/family. More times than not, I'm too busy to cook and just go dine out.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Wright2Reyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm

I like my steak medium done.

As for where I go, if you ever in NY, going to Peter Luger is a must.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Steak is such a quick thing to make that it makes no sense to me to spend a lot of money to have somebody else prepare it. I admit that most of the time I make mine on a Foreman grill. It takes literally 10 minutes to make some steaks and corn on the cob or asparagus. Macaroni and cheese takes more time than a steak and vegetable meal.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk