Steaks. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Steaks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Steaks.

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:04 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:It's not really a bloody piece of meat per se, but you can't beat a solid tartare.

I'm not a fan of tater sauce.
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: Steaks.

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:16 am

I perfer mine rare and tend to prefer bone-in ribeyes or just straight tartares, though I have a healthy appreciation for most cuts. If i'm going low-rent and grabbing something from the grocery store that's not cut thick enough, i'll top it with some Lawry's seasoned salt. If it's a better cut then I'll do the kosher salt & ground pepper, just a little to cook and then on the side for eating. As far as eating out, here are my favs:

Steak Tartare
Bourbon Steak - Scottsdale, AZ
Galvin Bistro de Luxe - London, UK
Shula's - Chicago, IL

Non-tartare
16oz bone-in filet - Joe's Stone Crab - Chicago, IL
20oz 40-day dry-aged bone-in ribeye - David Burke's Primehouse - Chicago, IL
Bone-in ribeye (dry-aged) - Smith & Wollensky - Chicago, IL
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: Steaks.

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:26 am

RugbyD wrote:I perfer mine rare and tend to prefer bone-in ribeyes or just straight tartares, though I have a healthy appreciation for most cuts. If i'm going low-rent and grabbing something from the grocery store that's not cut thick enough, i'll top it with some Lawry's seasoned salt. If it's a better cut then I'll do the kosher salt & ground pepper, just a little to cook and then on the side for eating. As far as eating out, here are my favs:

Steak Tartare
Bourbon Steak - Scottsdale, AZ
Galvin Bistro de Luxe - London, UK
Shula's - Chicago, IL

Non-tartare
16oz bone-in filet - Joe's Stone Crab - Chicago, IL
20oz 40-day dry-aged bone-in ribeye - David Burke's Primehouse - Chicago, IL
Bone-in ribeye (dry-aged) - Smith & Wollensky - Chicago, IL


we have a Bourbon Steak in Detroit...looks like both are under the Michael Mina umbrella...i'll have to give it a shot one of these times
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steaks.

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
RugbyD wrote:I perfer mine rare and tend to prefer bone-in ribeyes or just straight tartares, though I have a healthy appreciation for most cuts. If i'm going low-rent and grabbing something from the grocery store that's not cut thick enough, i'll top it with some Lawry's seasoned salt. If it's a better cut then I'll do the kosher salt & ground pepper, just a little to cook and then on the side for eating. As far as eating out, here are my favs:

Steak Tartare
Bourbon Steak - Scottsdale, AZ
Galvin Bistro de Luxe - London, UK
Shula's - Chicago, IL

Non-tartare
16oz bone-in filet - Joe's Stone Crab - Chicago, IL
20oz 40-day dry-aged bone-in ribeye - David Burke's Primehouse - Chicago, IL
Bone-in ribeye (dry-aged) - Smith & Wollensky - Chicago, IL


we have a Bourbon Steak in Detroit...looks like both are under the Michael Mina umbrella...i'll have to give it a shot one of these times


At the Fairmont in Scottsdale the presentation was pretty cool. It's prepared tableside with the non-egg ingredients lined up in strips and then it's all mixed together. What I really liked about this was that the ingredients were very finely chopped so you weren't socked with a giant burst of raw onion or caper in any one bite that overpowered the rest of the flavors.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: Steaks.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:10 pm

When I grill I grill ribeyes. I prefer mine medium, but if I have to go one way or the other, I prefer a little more done than bright red and chewy in the middle. I like portobella (sp?) mushrooms and grilled asparagus with it, no sauce.

When I go out for a steak, I get a prime rib and dunk it in a TON of horseradish.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Steaks.

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't usually grill or cook steak at home, but I enjoy a Florentine steak. I get mine Porterhouse cut, put a bit of salt and olive oil, and cook it on a charcoal grill until rare. No additional seasoning whatsoever is needed and just let the steak speak for itself, really. If I like a Spanish flair, I just add cumin and cayenne pepper.

I normally go to the restaurant for steak. Fleming's is an institution in L.A. for great steak and on the high end, I like Cut in Beverly Hills and BOA in West Hollywood from time to time. Vegas is chock full of steakhouses and I liked Michael Mina's Stripsteak at Mandalay Bay. Just to name a few, of course.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21935
(Past Year: 671)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Steaks.

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm exactly the opposite, AD. I can't justify going to a steak restaurant and paying triple what the meal would cost me at home. Plus I'd have the fun of grilling, and I'd get it exactly how I want it.

Once you're able to cook at home, eating out just becomes a break, not an event. It's been a long, long time since I've gone to a restaurant and didn't think, "I could make this at home for half the money and just as good." We only go out with friends and family these days.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7870
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Re: Steaks.

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm

knapplc wrote:I'm exactly the opposite, AD. I can't justify going to a steak restaurant and paying triple what the meal would cost me at home. Plus I'd have the fun of grilling, and I'd get it exactly how I want it.

Once you're able to cook at home, eating out just becomes a break, not an event. It's been a long, long time since I've gone to a restaurant and didn't think, "I could make this at home for half the money and just as good." We only go out with friends and family these days.


This is true. It's just that cooking steak isn't a specialty and I don't eat steak very often in the first place (try to keep consuming red meat in moderation). When it comes to everything else, nothing beats home cooking and sharing it with friends/family. More times than not, I'm too busy to cook and just go dine out.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21935
(Past Year: 671)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Steaks.

Postby Wright2Reyes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm

I like my steak medium done.

As for where I go, if you ever in NY, going to Peter Luger is a must.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 392
Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steaks.

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Steak is such a quick thing to make that it makes no sense to me to spend a lot of money to have somebody else prepare it. I admit that most of the time I make mine on a Foreman grill. It takes literally 10 minutes to make some steaks and corn on the cob or asparagus. Macaroni and cheese takes more time than a steak and vegetable meal.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact