100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Steaks.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steaks.

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:08 am

- How do you make them.
- Where do you go to eat them.

-I make them as rare as possible as long as the outside is brown and porterhouse is my favorite cut. Both my family and my wife and her family have always made them well done so it's no wonder I didn't like steak until I started grilling them myself. I like to put a little pepper on as a rub just before grilling and a little butter and garlic on at the end. As little as possible to compliment the steak, not overpower it. I grill it because I always get an uneven temp when frying.

- I don't go out to eat steak too much because like I said, my wife likes her steak well done and my steak is never the right temp no matter what establishment I go to probably because it's a polar opposite to the person I'm eating with. It's rare that I get a perfect steak and I almost always make it just the way I like it at home for a lot less money. I've been to the best steakhouses in MN and the best steak I've ever had at a restaurant was at Outback. Every other steak I've had there has been mediocre to crappy, but a couple years ago I had a steak there that was amazing.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steaks.

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:26 am

1. it annoys me that every female wants it well done
2. i hate to say it but i get better results using george foreman grill than an actual grill (maybe my grill sucks).
3. i like horseradish with all my steaks
4. i'm not into searing it like so many because its easy to over-do it while you searing and i don't like anything burnt
5. still haven't tried a good dry aged steak or raw wagyu/kobe beef.
6. salt/pepper, sometimes rosemary, and some olive oil before i grill is all i use
7. need to try mastro's someday. supposedly the best steak, well at least around here.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:06 am

As American as a steak on the grill is, it's 100 times better cooked in a ripping hot cast iron skillet. 2 minutes on each side (depending on thickness, obviously) gets a nice crust on the outside along with a rare/mid rare inside... :-L
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 am

pretty sure we have a steak thread but i dont fell like searching for it

At home
usually go ribeye, sometimes porterhouse. olive oil, salt, pepper, sometimes rosemary, garlic or red pepper flakes
grill to medium rare, but prefer it closer to rare than medium. sometimes top with garlic or cajun butter

out to eat
Ruth's Chris definately makes a good steak...Mortons was OK. had a steak at Iron Chef Michael Symons Roast, that was pretty good. i've had some of the best steaks at mom and pop type places as well.
out of the big chains, Outback, Texas Roadhouse and Longhorn are all acceptable to me

dont recall if i've ever had a nice dry aged steak...passed a place in New York that had them aging in the window and i really wish i'd have gone there

sigh...now i want a steak :-/
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby markj11 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:02 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:pretty sure we have a steak thread but i dont fell like searching for it

At home
usually go ribeye, sometimes porterhouse. olive oil, salt, pepper, sometimes rosemary, garlic or red pepper flakes
grill to medium rare, but prefer it closer to rare than medium. sometimes top with garlic or cajun butter

out to eat
Ruth's Chris definately makes a good steak...Mortons was OK. had a steak at Iron Chef Michael Symons Roast, that was pretty good. i've had some of the best steaks at mom and pop type places as well.
out of the big chains, Outback, Texas Roadhouse and Longhorn are all acceptable to me

dont recall if i've ever had a nice dry aged steak...passed a place in New York that had them aging in the window and i really wish i'd have gone there

sigh...now i want a steak :-/

Same at home as above.

out to eat
I never order steak while out for reasons mentioned earlier but a local place around here serves a blackened New York strip that is great.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:25 am

I've been grilling Ribeyes forever and loving every minute of them. Tender, full of flavor, easy to grill – it's a great steak.

There are tons of things you can put on your steak, but usually the simpler the better. Simple fresh ground salt and pepper is enough. If you want more/different flavor you can rub it with olive oil or bullion or herbs or whatever. Whatever floats your boat. I use Steak Dust which gives a good, beefy flavor. Sometimes I'll do granulated garlic, or onion powder… again, whatever.

Get your grill hot, like 400-500 degrees. Put your steak on, let it sear, give it a quarter turn, let it sear again, then flip and repeat. Boom, done.

Now, the one drawback to cooking a Ribeye is the fat. Fat = flavor, as you know if you watch any show on The Cooking Channel, but fat also = fat, as in, a big fat gut. So even if you cut the fat from your Ribeye, you're getting a less lean piece of meat.

The cut I've fallen in love with lately is the Flat Iron Steak, or Top Blade Steak:

The Flat Iron Steak (also know as a Top Blade Steak), now appearing in grocery stores and on restaurant menus was developed by teams at the University of Nebraska and the University of Florida. The problem that presented these researchers of the cow was what to do with a waste cut of beef from the shoulder of the cow. Though a flavorful and relatively tender cut of meat, the top blade roast has a serious flaw in the middle of it; an impossibly tough piece of connective tissue running through the middle.

So, after developing a method for cutting and presenting this steak, these friendly scientists have presented to us an amazing cut of beef. More than that, they have developed a nearly perfect steak for the grill. The Flat Iron (supposedly named because it looks like an old fashioned metal flat iron) is uniform in thickness and rectangular in shape. The only variation is the cut into the middle of the steak where the connective tissues have been removed.

Like any non-loin steak, the Flat Iron benefits from marinating and is best if it isn't cooked too well beyond medium. Depending on the particular cut you pick up you might find it more convenient to cut the Flat Iron steak in half because of the center cut through the middle.

The Flat Iron has great flavor, it's easy to grill, and it's far less fatty than a Ribeye. If you can find one in your meat market, definitely pick it up. You'll be amazed.

When I'm cooking steak I have to have a Baked Potato and/or Grilled Asparagus. I nuke my potato in the microwave for a few minutes depending on size, then cover it in a light coating of olive oil and finish it on the grill. For asparagus I cut off the woody bottom, usually an inch or so, and marinate it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Asparagus on the grill is super easy – you just get the grill really hot, then in one quick! motion dump the asparagus and the marinade on the hot grates and jump back. The olive oil catches fire and makes a fun fireball, then the oil on the asparagus sears and chars them pretty quick. A pound of thinner asparagus takes maybe four minutes to grill. Once you start seeing char marks on your asparagus, pull them off and serve immediately. Asparagus is the last thing I cook, and it goes straight from the grill to the table.

For steak condiments I'll use either straight horseradish, horseradish sauce (see recipe), or ketchup. Don't bother cracking on me for the ketchup – we've been over it, and I'm not going to change a habit dating from childhood.

Horseradish Sauce

½ cup Sour Cream
1 heaping tbsp prepared horseradish
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Just whisk everything together in a bowl. Magic.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:45 am

knapplc wrote:Get your grill hot, like 400-500 degrees. Put your steak on, let it sear, give it a quarter turn, let it sear again, then flip and repeat. Boom, done.

You want to get hotter than that if possible. My grill goes to between 600-700 and you want all that heat to really get a good crust before the inside of the steak starts cooking and juices come out. In steakhouses, they use broilers that usually start at 1400 degrees. ;-D

Favorite cut has to be bone-in ribeye. Not sure if anyone has said this but the best preparation is just rolling the steak in a bit of olive oil and then generously covering it with course salt (preferably Kosher) salt and course ground pepper. Naturally you want a good cut of meat - should be at least choice for NY strip/ribeye and prime for filet mignon. Make sure it's got nice marbleization and if in doubt, get it from the local butcher. He'll show you what to look for and the quality will be worth the few extra dollars.

Oh, and my girlfriend prefers medium rare to medium. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:58 am

Rare steak is disgusting, a little pink is OK (that's what she said), but eating a bloody piece of meat is nasty. %-6

I don't eat that much red meat but like Red, I dig the bone in rib eye. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:00 am

It's not really a bloody piece of meat per se, but you can't beat a solid tartare.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:01 am

I never get my grill that hot. I'm afraid of burning the steak. I'll have to give it a shot.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk