The Next Best Hitting Prospect to be called up is ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Next Best Hitting Prospect to be called up is ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Next Best Hitting Prospect to be called up is ...

Postby HighHeater » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:08 pm

mt99808 wrote:Most of the players mentioned in this thread are not exactly having good seasons. Why would a major league team promote them when they can't even succeed against AAA pitching? I think the well is pretty dry after Alvarez.

I agree however id argue Wallace AAA numbers equal or better Pedro's. Jennings had wrist injury set backs but is now mashing and has that BA creeping over .300 soon with a better makeup for overall production then Pedro as well.

Only elite prospect I see not getting a call in Montero due to early slump and not being rushed. Id argue to say his cieling is higher then everyone else listed including hyed Stanton though. He's the "guy" to get next season
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mt99808 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Montero's OPS's by month are .696 / .635 / .721

I'd say thats a little more than a slow start. It's not like this guy can catch in the major leagues. If he's brought up it will likely be as DH only and given the injury situation of the Yanks I don't see that happening. They need that DH spot for all their old aging vets.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sKooch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:52 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
sKooch wrote:Normally I'd say Montero, but I don't see him getting the call anytime soon.

What does this even mean? :-S

It means that I think Montero is probably the best hitting prospect left in the minors (especially if he sticks at C), but is definitely not "next" to be called up.
sKooch
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 am

the next best hitting prospect to be called up is one that you won't see coming like Coghlan, riemold and span recently. The obvious names have been called up and the rest are blocked to varying degrees or teams aren't going to call them up for whatever reason.

Taylor is also struggling as far as top hitting prospects go. I don't really understand why though. It is disappointing.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 175)

Postby HighHeater » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:31 am

rjlyn06 wrote:Hi all, I am sad to know what had happened to Jennings. The next game will be more exciting because their are certain problems that each teams are facing. The immeadiate recovery of Jennings is our happiness.

[code][/code]

you must be talking about
Santana, Jennings is fine
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 am

I think the next best hitting prospect to get called up will be Atlanta's Freddie Freeman. Glaus and Chipper are looking slow recently and the Atlanta offense could use some help.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Montana168 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 am

Havok1517 wrote:I think the next best hitting prospect to get called up will be Atlanta's Freddie Freeman. Glaus and Chipper are looking slow recently and the Atlanta offense could use some help.

Rotoworld via David O'Brien (Atlanta-Journal Constitution) agrees with you...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... LB&id=4586

Couple sleeper prospects have been recalled recently:

Peter Bourjos has nice sleeper prospect potential. He has 13 HR/27 SB this yr in AAA...could be a poor man's Desmond Jennings, and with Torii moving to RF for the kid, he should get a lot of playing time.

John Mayberry was also called up to replace Ryan Howard who went on the DL. While he has shown some potential, he is already 27, so a bit old for a prospect and does not hit for avg but shows good pop in the minors. It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets between Ibanez, Brown, Werth, and Francisco. Unless he lights the world on fire, he'll probably be back down once Victorino or Howard come back.

Kila Ka'aihue is also up but the Royals again refuse to give him playing time over Jose Guillen at DH or Billy Butler at 1b. As many of us know, if Kila wants a shot they need to either trade Guillen to free up the DH spot for Butler/Kila or move Guillen back to RF and so far neither of which has happened for the prospect with monster power.

Logan Morrison
has the highest ceiling on this list along with Freeman, and he has been playing everyday in LF, hitting in the 2nd spot in the order. He has big power potential in his bat, but it has not arrived yet. He could hit 10 HR the rest of the way, or he could hit 0, but he is a nice flyer at this point.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers