The Next Best Hitting Prospect to be called up is ... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Next Best Hitting Prospect to be called up is ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Next Best Hitting Prospect to be called up is ...

Postby Tony Micelli » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Well, we've already seen Smoak, Posey, Stanton, Santana, and it looks like a Pedro Alvarez promotion is upon us any day now.

So, which Big - Time minor league Bat is going to be called up next? And when? Brett Wallace? Logan Morrison? Someone else I'm not aware of?
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Next Best Hitting Prospect to be called up is ...

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:44 pm

It'll probably be Montero, Brown, Freeman, or Carter.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby mt99808 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:21 am

I wouldn't count on Wallace anytime soon. Anthopolous has stated in the Toronto media that he had a talk with Wallace before the season and the plan was for him to spend the entire season in Vegas. That could change I guess but I just don't see it happening right now. Now like he's overly dominating in a hitter friendly league and home park.

In all honesty the guy with the most upside at this point might just be Alex Gordon.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sKooch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:46 am

Normally I'd say Montero, but I don't see him getting the call anytime soon.

Brown is my choice
sKooch
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J.C.Fighter » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am

Montero? No way he gets called up this season! where will he play? And plus he's not hitting so well this season
Last edited by J.C.Fighter on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana168 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 am

i hope you guys are talking about a different montero, not jesus montero :-o . there is zero chance that he gets called up anytime soon. cervelli is serviceable right now and a solid defensive catcher and posada is going to be cleared to return to C soon. also, montero has yet to find his bat in AAA, sure he's been solid the past 5 games finally, hitting over .300 and 5 doubles, but thats only 5 games. It will take a lot for montero to be called up this year.

same with dom brown. the phillies have werth, ibanez, victorino, and francisco at the big league level, and if any of those went down with an injury, john mayberry would get the callup, not brown. now, if the phils continue to struggle and they decide to deal werth at the deadline, then i could see brown get the callup to kind of jumpstart the offense and bring some hype back but i dont see that scenario playing out. The phils are still the best team in that division and will figure out their slumping offense.

if i had to guess, maybe chris carter of the A's, not sure what other top prospects are really close to a promotion. desmond jennings is probably the most mlb-ready top prospect at the moment but with s-rod and brignac hitting very well, and bartlett returning from the DL wed. it is looking like either 2 injuries or a trade are going to have to happen for jennings to get a callup.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby neoforce » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:58 am

Montana168 wrote:i hope you guys are talking about a different montero, not jesus montero :-o . there is zero chance that he gets called up anytime soon. cervelli is serviceable right now and a solid defensive catcher and posada is going to be cleared to return to C soon. also, montero has yet to find his bat in AAA, sure he's been solid the past 5 games finally, hitting over .300 and 5 doubles, but thats only 5 games. It will take a lot for montero to be called up this year.

same with dom brown. the phillies have werth, ibanez, victorino, and francisco at the big league level, and if any of those went down with an injury, john mayberry would get the callup, not brown. now, if the phils continue to struggle and they decide to deal werth at the deadline, then i could see brown get the callup to kind of jumpstart the offense and bring some hype back but i dont see that scenario playing out. The phils are still the best team in that division and will figure out their slumping offense.

this

my reading of the situation is that Montana168 is 100% correct. I'm a Yankee fan and a Brown owner so have followed both situations closely. For both, the most they get is a Sept taste of the bigs. I would expect them both in the bigs early in 2011.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:42 am

sKooch wrote:Normally I'd say Montero, but I don't see him getting the call anytime soon.

What does this even mean? :-S
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby HighHeater » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Jesus Montero if he gets hot and starts hitting like he has been recently might get a late cup of coffee if that. The kid is the best bat in the minors and is robably the #1 prospect on top 100 boards next season if he maintains his hitting like he is projected to. Last I read he was the youngest in AAA at barely 20 yrs old so he's in line to make an impact next season following his miguel cabrera like potential and natural learning curve.

Desmond Jennings is now hitting .290 and his ops is now steadily climbing after getting over his injuries. Its unfortunate to see a talent like that wasted in the minors as he'd be up and starting on most mlb clubs but the rays are loaded.

If I had to make an educated guess id say Carter/Wallace/Taylor would be next in line but time will tell
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mt99808 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Most of the players mentioned in this thread are not exactly having good seasons. Why would a major league team promote them when they can't even succeed against AAA pitching? I think the well is pretty dry after Alvarez.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers