Pedro Alvarez to get the call - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pedro Alvarez to get the call

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro Alvarez to get the call

Postby Giambis » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:32 am

Not sure what his impact will be this year, but he's coming up. Probably the best of the rest of the big prospects to get the call until September.

From rotoworld:

Pirates GM Neal Huntington indicated Sunday that third base prospect Pedro Alvarez could be promoted to the majors this week.

The call-up would move Andy LaRoche to a utility infield role. Alvarez, then, would start at third base. "Our [initial] feel was closer to the end of the month, but Pedro has responded well to the challenge of these other two guys going up," Huntington said Sunday. "Sometimes, players can push those timetables forward because of adjustments they make." Alvarez, 23, has hit .285/.370/.549 with 13 homers and 52 RBI this season in 64 games for Triple-A Indianapolis.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pedro Alvarez to get the call

Postby jsphlly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:53 pm

At some point last year, and I don't have the source, I read something saying he is the best talent they've had in the farm system since Bonds.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Buster Olney just said on Baseball Tonight that he will be getting the call tomorrow. ;-D
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby converge241 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Yes, he was informed tonight of the call up.

Now he just has to make sure his shower shoes are fungus free, he's going to the show!

The Pirates recalled Alvarez after Tuesday's game, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.
Spin: The Pirates recalled fellow prospects Neil Walker, Brad Lincoln and Jose Tabata in recent weeks, but there is a certain in the buzz around Pittsburgh in anticipation of Alvarez's arrival. He had 13 home runs in 65 games for Triple-A Indianapolis, but he also had 67 strikeouts in his 239 at-bats. He should be the Pirates' starting third baseman from here on out, and he should draw a favorable lineup spot.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:10 pm

converge241 wrote:
The Pirates recalled Alvarez after Tuesday's game, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.
Spin: The Pirates recalled fellow prospects Neil Walker, Brad Lincoln and Jose Tabata in recent weeks, but there is a certain in the buzz around Pittsburgh in anticipation of Alvarez's arrival. He had 13 home runs in 65 games for Triple-A Indianapolis, but he also had 67 strikeouts in his 239 at-bats. He should be the Pirates' starting third baseman from here on out, and he should draw a favorable lineup spot.

They say a favorable lineup spot. I am thinking he bats 6th? Tabata, N Walker, McCutch, G Jones, Doumit, Alvarez, Milledge, Cedeno, Pitcher
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby jsphlly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:16 am

footballisbetter.com wrote:
converge241 wrote:

They say a favorable lineup spot. I am thinking he bats 6th? Tabata, N Walker, McCutch, G Jones, Doumit, Alvarez, Milledge, Cedeno, Pitcher

I'd say swap Doumit and Alvarez
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby da_mane_man » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:26 am

the dude is batting .277 in the minors? what's he gonna do in the bigs? .220? the next kyle blanks?

i don't really think he's worth it this year. i'm keeping kouzmanoff and freese on my team right now over him.
da_mane_man
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby drunkmonkey » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 am

da_mane_man wrote:the dude is batting .277 in the minors? what's he gonna do in the bigs? .220? the next kyle blanks?

i don't really think he's worth it this year. i'm keeping kouzmanoff and freese on my team right now over him.

I guess I don't see the risk in dropping the lesser of Kouzmanoff/Freese for a potential star. If he doesn't pan out, all you've lost is your mediocre backup 3B.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mt99808 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:22 am

da_mane_man wrote:the dude is batting .277 in the minors? what's he gonna do in the bigs? .220? the next kyle blanks?

He may be batting .277 in the minors but that was due to a .224 April with an OPS of .721. Since then he has hit .294 and .327 and OPS'd .982 and 1.003 in May and June. The k's are a bit concerning but they're always an issue with every young power hitter.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:24 am

As always, everything depends upon the depth of the league. But in a normal depth league, I would be rostering Alvarez for the next 2 or 3 weeks to see how he does. If he stinks up the joint, I'd drop him for the Middle Reliever which I probably dropped to pick him up in the first place.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers