Is Catcher now a deep position? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Catcher now a deep position?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:20 am

So I've been doing fantasy baseball for about 5 years now and this is the first point that I can remember that in 1 catcher leagues, you can have legitimate studs like Mauer or McCann and, even if you believe that they'll fill their projections, don't justify themselves as a high pick because there's such depth at the position. Let's think a second about the catchers in next year's draft.

Mauer
McCann
Victor Martinez
Wieters
M. Montero
Napoli
Posada
Soto
Martin
Santana
Posey
Jaso?
J. Montero?

In 2 catcher leagues, I think the position will look like 3B this year with a decent list of quality options and then the bottom drops out.

Thoughts?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:38 am

I still don't see anyone to get excited about after Mauer, McCann and V-mart. And chances are they go much earlier than I would be willing to take them.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21611
(Past Year: 380)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby Holein1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 am

suzuki has been great also.

3b has turned into a very shallow position with ramirez and chipper no longer playing well
Holein1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 518
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 6 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Abbotsford BC

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:19 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I still don't see anyone to get excited about after Mauer, McCann and V-mart. And chances are they go much earlier than I would be willing to take them.

Then I think you're not looking.

Player A: .258 / .330 / 10 HRs / 23R / 26RBI / 3 SBs
Player B: .260 / .384 / 6 HRs / 28R / 27RBI / 2 SBs

Player A: .319 / .397 / 2 HRs / 34R / 28RBI /1 SB
Player B: .319 / .388 / 8 HRs / 28R / 28RBI / 3 SB

Player A: .301 / .354 / 8 HRs / 31R / 36RBI / 0 SB
Player B: .260 / .359 / 4 HRs / 30R / 15RBI / 3 SB

Can you tell me which of these 6 are Mauer, McCann, and V-mart? Note that three others on my list: Posey, Santana, and Jaso have only had limited action since being called up and one other on my list, J. Montero, hasn't been called up yet but probably will be next year.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:36 am

Holein1 wrote:suzuki has been great also.

3b has turned into a very shallow position with ramirez and chipper no longer playing well

I think of it as there's a high plateau that fills the position for about half the teams. And then it falls off a cliff and everyone else is left scrambling. That's about what Catcher next year looks to me in leagues that use 2 catchers. I think there's a pretty good top tier and then a lot of people to be worried about.

But in leagues that only use 1 catcher, the difference between #12 and #1 is going to be pretty thin.

To put it into auction values, if Mauer was a projected $25 player* the last couple of seasons, I see his projected value next season more along the lines of $12 to $13. Not because his projection has gone down any, but rather because the baseline alternative of the 12th best catcher has gone up so much.

* Last year, I think Mauer produced actually much more, closer to $40 to $45 in value.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:15 pm

It's definitely deeper than it's been in quite some time.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Balls deep.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24815
(Past Year: 360)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby fast dogs » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:35 pm

The last couple years I've been taking a catcher in the last few rounds in our 14 team 1 C league and its worked out great. And not only for who I drafted but who was hot to start the season and was able to pick up for nothing. Last year I was able to get Montero in several leagues for his terrific 2nd half. Drafting late this year I ended up with Pudge & Y Molina and both have outperformed most of the catchers drafted in the middle rounds. Maybe you don't get excited for any catcher after the first handful, but you can get decent production waiting till very late in drafts. Not so many years ago you just wanted someone who wasn't going to drag you down, thats no longer the case
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2519
(Past Year: 302)
Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby MTUCache » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm

Matthias wrote:But in leagues that only use 1 catcher, the difference between #12 and #1 is going to be pretty thin.

More importantly, the difference between #12 and #4 is going to be almost non-existent.

With so many decent options out there, no real reason to carry more than one, and no way to determine who's going to have that "up" year that will make them valuable, I can't see spending more than $1 on Catcher next season.

In my league at least, I see it sorting itself out this way:
The same people every year somehow convince themselves to pay for a "good" catcher. Just based on reputation that will suck up Mauer/VMart/McCann. Then there's that other group of guys who project big futures for unproven guys, and are willing to pay a price somewhere in the middle of their potential and their actual worth. Those guys will be paying extra for the Posey/Santana/Montero, and maybe even Wieters again. There's even guys who will gladly pay for an aging Posada, simply because of his history and lineup.

Even with all eight of those guys being gone, there's still probably 6+ guys left I'd be more than happy to roster... Napoli of course, Doumit, Suzuki, Soto, Molina(s), Barajas. The list goes on and on.

C is as deep as any other position out there right now, with the exception of SP.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1284
Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Catcher now a deep position?

Postby Matthias » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:10 pm

MTUCache wrote:
Matthias wrote:But in leagues that only use 1 catcher, the difference between #12 and #1 is going to be pretty thin.

More importantly, the difference between #12 and #4 is going to be almost non-existent.

With so many decent options out there, no real reason to carry more than one, and no way to determine who's going to have that "up" year that will make them valuable, I can't see spending more than $1 on Catcher next season.

In my league at least, I see it sorting itself out this way:
The same people every year somehow convince themselves to pay for a "good" catcher. Just based on reputation that will suck up Mauer/VMart/McCann. Then there's that other group of guys who project big futures for unproven guys, and are willing to pay a price somewhere in the middle of their potential and their actual worth. Those guys will be paying extra for the Posey/Santana/Montero, and maybe even Wieters again. There's even guys who will gladly pay for an aging Posada, simply because of his history and lineup.

Even with all eight of those guys being gone, there's still probably 6+ guys left I'd be more than happy to roster... Napoli of course, Doumit, Suzuki, Soto, Molina(s), Barajas. The list goes on and on.

C is as deep as any other position out there right now, with the exception of SP.

Yah. This is exactly how I see it playing out as well.

In years prior I would've defended spending upwards of $20 on Mauer, but not next year. I'll be one of the guys either spending $1 or drafting in the 15th or 16th round. Granted, it's a bit early to be thinking of next year's draft but I thought this was a timely discussion with the promotion of Santana and Posey and people can start thinking about next year keepers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(1:35 pm)
Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(4:05 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:25 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(9:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact