Nolasco - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nolasco

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nolasco

Postby Ursa » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:58 am

I looked for a topic on Ricky Nolasco but didn't find one in the first three pages so here goes.....

Anyone out there have any idea why Nolasco is sucking so bad this year? I drafted him as my #2 SP (I tend to draft pitchers a little later than some) and to say it hasn't worked out is a gross understatement. In his last 9 games he has given up 33 ER and only completed 6 innings three times. He has only 34K in those 9 games, one for every ER. Fifteen of the Ks came in two games. He's been OK on walks, giving up only nine.

So, is it velocity, confidence, control or what? More importantly, how do the Cafe experts see his second half?
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolasco

Postby dmattingly23 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:24 am

I've watched most of his starts and he hasn't pitched nearly as bad as his numbers show.

But it seems like you always have to say that about him. Maybe he's just not that good with runner's on. I don't know.

Also F. Gonzalez doesn't do him any favors. He has zero confidence in him for some reason. At the slightest sight of trouble he pulls him.

I still think he'll have a strong 2nd half. The velocity is down slightly, but he picks and chooses when to use it. He still dials up to 93 when he needs it. He's trying to pitch to contact, but when men are on he throws a little harder and goes for the K.

Also this thing about not walking anyone is hurting him I think. It seems like he just grooves FBs right in when he has 3 balls.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gnarboots11 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:05 am

Didn't he suck to start last season as well?
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:35 am

Yes, he did. But it's not like he had a miracle turnaround. He still had an ERA over 4 post ASB. His best month last year was June where he posted an ERA under 2. And as this guy points out, in most of the areas that Nolasco was "unlucky" last season, he's gotten more lucky, but it's still with the same overall results. I think I would buy on Nolasco at this point, but basically only where his results are so far this season. I wouldn't give more, expecting him to suddenly right the ship to make it a steal of a deal.

Ironically, the guy who owns Nolasco in my main league went on a rant about him in the league chat last night.

I think the time has come to state the obvious: Ricky Nolasco *** sucks. Sometimes I guy has a great K/BB, K/9, history of dominance for several months, great xFIP and xERA in comparison to his real ones and you know what? He's still a *** *** who can't pitch. Just like some guys with terrible BABIP aren't failing to get lucky and eventually there will be a correction back to .300. Sometimes they *** suck.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rollotommasi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:12 pm

Contact Rate up to 82.3%
O-Contact up to 70.1% (basically he's not fooling anybody)
Swing Strikes doen to 8.3%
K/9 down to 6.57 (5.5 since May 1st)
Pitches value is 0 or negative

He SUCKS
Rollotommasi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dmattingly23 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:29 pm

anybody know how to find pitch type, value, speed per start. Not for entire season. Is it possible to find that on fangraphs?
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby vykeengfan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Matthias wrote:Yes, he did. But it's not like he had a miracle turnaround. He still had an ERA over 4 post ASB. His best month last year was June where he posted an ERA under 2. And as this guy points out, in most of the areas that Nolasco was "unlucky" last season, he's gotten more lucky, but it's still with the same overall results. I think I would buy on Nolasco at this point, but basically only where his results are so far this season. I wouldn't give more, expecting him to suddenly right the ship to make it a steal of a deal.

Ironically, the guy who owns Nolasco in my main league went on a rant about him in the league chat last night.

I think the time has come to state the obvious: Ricky Nolasco *** sucks. Sometimes I guy has a great K/BB, K/9, history of dominance for several months, great xFIP and xERA in comparison to his real ones and you know what? He's still a *** *** who can't pitch. Just like some guys with terrible BABIP aren't failing to get lucky and eventually there will be a correction back to .300. Sometimes they *** suck.

so i'm guessing this guy isn't going to try and sell him in this league? i would never bash one of my players like this in a league chat, no matter how down on them i am.
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ursa » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:46 pm

vykeengfan wrote:so i'm guessing this guy isn't going to try and sell him in this league? i would never bash one of my players like this in a league chat, no matter how down on them i am.

My guess is that there would be zero buyers. Certainly in my 16 team league, I see no prospect of getting anything other than laughed at. For the moment he has to be bench material.

The Rollotommasi post earlier offers some convincing evidence that Nolasco is just bad but I am still reluctant to just outright can him. I do need a spot for Montero coming off the DL though. :-?
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Maris09 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:51 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:But it seems like you always have to say that about him. Maybe he's just not that good with runner's on. I don't know.

Kiiiind of important if you wanna be....ya know....a Major League pitcher... :-o
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Matthias » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:53 pm

vykeengfan wrote:so i'm guessing this guy isn't going to try and sell him in this league? i would never bash one of my players like this in a league chat, no matter how down on them i am.

It's not a dumb league. What this guy says or doesn't say about Nolasco won't swing what other people really think of him. If they really think that Nolasco is going to come back and want to make an offer, they will. Most likely they won't.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers