Stratgey - negotiating Max innings pitched - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stratgey - negotiating Max innings pitched

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stratgey - negotiating Max innings pitched

Postby Darrian.Durant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:03 pm

10 team mixed roto league. Stat categories are: R, SB, Avg, HR, RBI and OPS and for pitchers W, S, K, E.R.A, WHIP. There is an innings cap on staff at 1250. This is my first time posting I have been reading the website for a couple years now though. I have a strategy question on how to negotiate a low maximum innings pitched cap 1250IP(it appears if the trend continues that almost every team in the league will reach the innings pitched cap soon. )

My current pitchers are:

T. Hanson SP
R. Nolasco SP
D. Haren SP
F. Liriano SP
Mat Latos SP

Rafeal Soriano RP
Brad Lidge RP
Matt Lindstrom
J. Axford RP
David Hernandez

I'm currently in 5th place in my league, this is due to my performance in the WHIP (last in the league), and ERA categories (9th place). I really don't think my staff is all that bad, I understand its a shallow league with only 10 teams, I've been burned chasing saves a little bit. Currently I'm not starting all of my SP in order to stay below the innings cap. All of the other teams our on pace to drastically exceed the innings cap, hence I am imagining august and september stud pitchers being available on the cheap. I am performing pretty well in the counting stats especially when you consider (leading the league in Ks per 9innings) and a good chunk of Wins and Saves. In order to have any shot at contending I will need to improve my WHIP (last) and ERA (9th place) to something at least mediocre. Does anyone have any useful strategies so I may be a contender at the end? Specifically, it looks to me like all the current contenders will be over the MAX IP's limit soon, how can I take advantage of this to improve my ball club, specifically WHIP and ERA?
Darrian.Durant
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stratgey - negotiating Max innings pitched

Postby neoforce » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Welcome to the Cafe!

I haven't seen this type of issue before, but I wonder what happens when people get really close to their IP max. As you said, suddenly stud pitchers become available. And everyone scrambles to get the best low innings low WHIP/ERA relief pitchers. If that is what usually happens in this league, you could try to reverse that. Load up on those low innings low WHIP/ERA relief pitchers nowbecause there is less competition. Then when everyone is going in that direction, load up on starters.

Of course I'm not sure if your league requires a certain number of starters to be active.

Curious how many innings pitched do you have? You said: "It appears if the trend continues that almost every team in the league will reach the innings pitched cap soon." How soon?
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:48 pm

approaching 1250 innings already? I'd certainly start benching my SP vs all but the weakest opponents. An easy opponent in Sept is preferable to a tougher 1 in June and July. Certainly you'd only want to start Latos at home. You might even consider a real good 8th inning guy as a replacement to a poor whip closer. Its no fun being patient in an innings limit league, falling back in K's & wins, but the final month its a whole lot of fun; passing frozen staffs 1 by 1 in the different cats. You'll miss some good starts from time to time benching your SP's, but in the end thats the way to move up in ERA & WHIP
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 303)

Postby Darrian.Durant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:56 pm

neoforce wrote:Welcome to the Cafe!

I haven't seen this type of issue before, but I wonder what happens when people get really close to their IP max. As you said, suddenly stud pitchers become available. And everyone scrambles to get the best low innings low WHIP/ERA relief pitchers. If that is what usually happens in this league, you could try to reverse that. Load up on those low innings low WHIP/ERA relief pitchers nowbecause there is less competition. Then when everyone is going in that direction, load up on starters.

Of course I'm not sure if your league requires a certain number of starters to be active.

Curious how many innings pitched do you have? You said: "It appears if the trend continues that almost every team in the league will reach the innings pitched cap soon." How soon?

Hey the 4 teams above me in the standings have already pitched 590, 635, 685, 604 innings pitched, I'll have a better idea at the 82 game mark what sort of pace these guys are on and if they will go over. My team has 493 IPs. but only recently did I make a concious effort to reduce my innings. I am assuming teams won't max out until into August so it may be that there will only be 3-4 weeks left in the season once teams have have exceeded there innings pitched then. And from a strategy standpoint it may make sense for them to hold onto there A+ arms (as opposed to dropping them) in order to prevent teams with low innings counts to make headway. Thanks to both who replied.
Darrian.Durant
T-Ball Trainer

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:12 pm

With an innings cap it is vital that you do the following things:
- As already mentioned, bench your SPs except for the best match-ups (bench Nolasco until he begins to turn it around, start Latos as home, etc..)
- You should have 2 RP spots, and 3 P spots? If so, you may consider attempting to deal your less consistent closers for a better one, then adding a top-flight mid-RP (Thorton, Gregerson, Adams, etc...)
- You could also add a good mid-RP with SP eligibility (Marshall, Contreras). Adding mid-RPs will help your ERA and WHIP while preserving your IPs.
- Consider trading 2 lesser SPs for one ace, if you can, or ship a lesser SP with a closer for a better closer and a hitter to fill a hole.

The idea is to make every inning the best inning. Hope that helps.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:57 pm

Manipulating your pitching staff in a low max-IP league is one of the easiest ways to dominate a league. Unfortunately, it seems like the SPs you've gotten your innings from have really let you down in the ratio department.

In a league with 1200-1250 innings pitched, with only 2 or 3 reserved SP spots and all the rest RP or P, I probably would only be carrying four SP. Hopefully two of them are complete studs (for example, my team this year has Halladay/Grienke), and the others are just streamed spot-starter guys (the best available guys with matchups against Bal/Cle are the easiest). Everybody else on my staff is an RP. Four closers (ideally drafting two guys in the top-ten RP and trading for another) and 3 high-ratio MRs.

Ideally I'd like to get about 800 IP out of my 4 SPs (220+ out of each of the studs and 150-200 each out of the streamer spots). With 4 closers I figure I can get 250 IP out of them, allowing for some injury time. That leaves 150 IP to get out of 2-3 MRs. Generally coming down to the last month you're behind schedule by a few innings and you can pickup guys to focus on whatever spot you need help in.

The toughest part about where you are now is the trade deadline. Even though everyone else is going to be at 1000+ IP by the end of August, you're probably not going to be able to get your hands on any of their studs. Whether they realize they're running out of innings or not, they're not going to give them up to you for nothing. They'd rather hold them on their bench than give them up to someone who can use them.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Oatsdad » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Darrian.Durant wrote:Hey the 4 teams above me in the standings have already pitched 590, 635, 685, 604 innings pitched, I'll have a better idea at the 82 game mark what sort of pace these guys are on and if they will go over. My team has 493 IPs. but only recently did I make a concious effort to reduce my innings.

If you're at 493, you're not TOO much over. I'd play matchups for a while until you're closer to the projected 1250 IP. Right now, 465 IP in a 1250 league = 0.0 over/under, so you're only 28 IP above that.

I think you're doing fine. Like I said, be a little more cautious for a few weeks, but don't freak. Those other guys are gonna run out of innings way before you do...
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DVauthrin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 am

I have the same 1250 inning pitched limit for the six month season. You can average 208 innings a month(or 1248 total for the season) with that limit. Therefore, by the end of june a team should be somewhere around 624 innings pitched. Realistically if you are 20-30 innings on either side of that number you are ok, because manipulating your innings is fairly easy.
hook em horns, go stros
DVauthrin
Basketball Scribe
Basketball Scribe

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 13)

Postby jsphlly » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:14 am

Grab top tier MRs and leave them in. Guys like Sean Marshall and Jose Contreas are clutch cause you can plug them into your SP slots.

Trade a SP for a top CL.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:52 am

jsphlly wrote:Trade a SP for a top CL.

This is a very difficult prospect at this point... SP is very deep right now, and you're probably not going to find anybody in their league who's got an "extra" closer.

I've been shopping everyone from Vazquez, Kuroda, even Grienke to try and pick up a solid closer at this point (somebody in the Soria/Nunez range).

Right now I'm stuck with WAY more SP than I'd like for my format, but I'm having a difficult time deciding to flat-out cut pitchers at this level. Even though I know I'll get much more use out of guys like Contreras/Marshall/Joba, it's a tough decision to drop pitchers like Vazquez and Latos just because you've already got Halladay/Greinke/Kuroda/Strasburg/Scherzer/etc. There's just a ton of talented SP out there right now. They're next to impossible to trade, but if you're going to get any meaningful innings out of some MRs, you've got to clear the room on your roster.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers