What do you like to drink with good food? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What do you like to drink with good food?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What do you like to drink with good food?

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:01 am

AussieDodger wrote:
bigken117 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
FYP :-/

Hey I'm not the one drinking feces-water :-b :-b

Me neither, my water is bottled :^

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:11 am

Zima :-L

:-b

I mostly play around with beers. I've been trying to get into red wine but it's not really winning me over.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby jfg » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:14 am

Yeah, I'm not a big red wine fan either. I can't tell the difference between good and bad red wine, but white wine is very easy to compare.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:42 am

Personally, I didn't really get into wine pairings until I was about 18-19 and was more interested in understanding the nuances of different wine with other food. My folks were/are wine enthusiasts and so, that also helped.

With red wines, you want to look for complexity. For example, a good Cabernet Sauvignon should give you a balance of a black current flavor but with a peppery bite and a rich mouthfeel. A good Pinot Noir should have the same kind of complexity as a Cabernet Sauvignon, but feel less alcoholic and a bit more delicate. A Merlot is like Cabernet Sauvignon, but I guess you can say it's "gentler" in that there isn't that distinctive bite and less acidic. A Malbec has the same traits as a Cabernet Sauvignon and a Merlot, a Shiraz has more of a spiciness element compared to a Cabernet Sauvignon and bit on the chewy side, and the famous Sangiovese is more on the fruity side. Compare the styles and see what's best for your palate.

As far as beers go, the rule of thumb as it applies to wine, can also be applied to beer. Poultry tend to go better with lager and pilsner while red meat goes better with an amber, brown, or Belgian style ale. Stouts and porters are acceptable with certain kinds of seafood (salmon is quite nice), but are best enjoyed with chocolate desserts.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:04 am

i rarely get wine with dinner, maybe a few times a year...usually if i go to a nice italian restaraunt i'll get a Pinot Grigio with veal or something like that

other than that
steak/ribs/etc = beer or whiskey
seafood = vodka/gin + tonic
sushi = japanese beer or saki
italian = wine or vodka tonic
mexican = mexican beer or margarita
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:19 am

Occassionally wine or a cocktail, but generally beer or water.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:34 pm

I typically don't mix beer with food unless I'm at a BBQ, I just don't care for the mix, even with the snobby beers that some of you putzes drink (yes, I'm looking at you) :-) . Typically anymore I just drink water with just about everything, but if I'm going to have a drink with my meal it will typically be captain and ginger, or if it's hot and I'm eating outdoors a mojito or some other summer cocktail, occasionally a beer. Since I don't drink soda at all anymore, occasionally I will order a fountain soda with my meal since I consider that a treat (I have no idea why I love fountain soda so much, and it's 10x better than bottled/canned soda -- the bubbles, I think?). If I'm on a date and she wants wine, I'll usually just have whatever wine we order, since, well, that keeps her drinking wine... I'm not stupid. So yeah...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:49 pm

Nice thread here. I'm like a lot of you, don't care for beer with food generally. I thought I was alone in this, or at least in the minority. Most of my buddies like to have a beer with whatever they're eating, but for me there's only a select few things that go well for me. Burgers on the grill is definitely one of them.

The only time that I will drink a white wine is when the food we're having dictates it. Other than those occasions, I like my dry reds.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Beer
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Nice thread here. I'm like a lot of you, don't care for beer with food generally. I thought I was alone in this, or at least in the minority. Most of my buddies like to have a beer with whatever they're eating, but for me there's only a select few things that go well for me. Burgers on the grill is definitely one of them.

The only time that I will drink a white wine is when the food we're having dictates it. Other than those occasions, I like my dry reds.

Whenever I'm at a restaurant, there are times I'll pair a beer for what I feel like having (knowing before I order). At the pub, I don't care, I'll drink my Guinness with chicken and mushroom pie and won't be arsed if it's a lousy pairing. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk