Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is worth more Wins?

Franklin Gutierrez
24
44%
Miguel Cabrera
30
56%
 
Total votes : 54

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:32 am

This all reminds me of back in the day when Justin Morneau was absolutely raking in the minors and Mientkiewicz was a very average hitter and a more than exceptional defender. I always used to make the argument the if the twins called Morneau up they needed to DH him, because Mientkiewicz' value in the field was far too great and we would be downgrading our team just to get Morneau's bat in the lineup.

I was wrong. I am very stuborn and get very set in my ways when I believe something. but I have since realized that my argument held absolutely no water. A great offensive player is better than a great defensive player. Not only can a great offensive player win games single handedly because of what he does with his bat, but he also improves the hitter in front of him and the hitter behind him (which is not accounted for in WAR). not to mention the wear and stress great hitters put on the pitcher.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3875
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby ayebatter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:51 am

I doubt many GM's would start a team by picking FraGu over MCab, but:

I am very stuborn and get very set in my ways when I believe something. but I have since realized that my argument held absolutely no water. A great defensive player is better than a great offensive player. Not only can a great defensive player win games single handedly because of what he does with his glove, but he also improves the glove left of him and the glove to the right him (which is not accounted for in WAR). not to mention the relief great catches give the pitcher. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12183
(Past Year: 1375)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:54 am

I doubt any GM's would start a team by picking FraGu over MCab, but:
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3875
(Past Year: 166)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby ayebatter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:00 am

ayebatter wrote:I'm trying to determine if taste is a good way to judge fruit, which is healthier for you, apples or oranges. :-?



I'm standing by this statement, and that's all there is to this little exercise in futility.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12183
(Past Year: 1375)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 pm

I can't vote until I know each player's xFIP.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I can't vote until I know each player's xFIP.


Kitten murderer :-o
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby Wright2Reyes » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Interesting, I would have guessed that Cabrera was way more valuable than Gutierrez, but numbers are numbers and you can't manipulate numbers...ohh wait....
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 392
Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Where's the "too close to call" option?


lastingsgriller wrote:I doubt any GM's would start a team by picking FraGu over MCab, but:


Considering that the one that plays the easiest position to fill is being paid ~$130M over the next six years and the other who plays a much more difficult position is being paid ~$25M over the next five, I believe that you're wrong.

Think about building the perfect run-preventing team. If they can't score, they'll never win.


I'd like someone to present some evidence that they're not close to being equals when you consider the entirety of what they bring to the table. That includes defensive value, position, everything. Evidence! I'm completely willing to listen and review evidence, but batting average, RBIs, and perpetuating the myth of "lineup protection" do not count as such.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby ayebatter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
If they can't score, they'll never win.




Yep, now what ?
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12183
(Past Year: 1375)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

Re: Miguel Cabrera VS Franklin Gutierrez

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:59 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
If they can't score, they'll never win.




Yep, now what ?


So I conclude that the only team that could go undefeated is a team that is perfect at preventing runs. So... Defense! :-B And pitching. :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13710
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: threelions, unioreimi and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact