16 year old trying to solo circumnavigate missing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

16 year old trying to solo circumnavigate missing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 16 year old trying to solo circumnavigate missing

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Not sure if I'd ever allow my 16 year old to do this, but one thing is for certain, they sure as hell wouldn't go it alone. All sorts of things could happen whereby having another breathing individual on board would make me feel 100% better in allowing the trip.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Art and Met, you guys are both missing the point of my post. It has nothing to do with her skill level or maturity or anything with her at all. It has everything to do with random accidents, which no amount of skill or maturity can overcome.

To me it has very little to do with her being 16, other than the whole "she has her whole life ahead of her" thing. It's more to do with the uncontrollable aspect of the sea. That's where I would object, were she 16 or 60. It's just a dumb risk.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 pm

knapplc wrote:Art and Met, you guys are both missing the point of my post. It has nothing to do with her skill level or maturity or anything with her at all. It has everything to do with random accidents, which no amount of skill or maturity can overcome.

To me it has very little to do with her being 16, other than the whole "she has her whole life ahead of her" thing. It's more to do with the uncontrollable aspect of the sea. That's where I would object, were she 16 or 60. It's just a dumb risk.

This was my reason for asking the question. I'm on the fence on this. I'm a parent that allows his 10-year old boy to experience a great many more things than other kids his age. And he gets hurt doing these things sometimes. Not gravely, he's never broken a bone or anything, but I think it's an important part of raising a kid to allow them to experience even unpleasant things on their own. Having said that, I realize this is an extreme case. Going out on the open water alone, don't know if I'd want anyone I know doing that, no matter the age or skill level. Hard to tell without knowing the girl or her parents.

Lance, where do you generally like to draw the line? You can't control everything. Obviously it is your job to protect your daughter, but how long of a leash do you allow and at what ages? Do you keep a short leash and then let go at 18? I believe very strongly in extending the length of the leash before letting go.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:17 pm

knapplc wrote:Art and Met, you guys are both missing the point of my post. It has nothing to do with her skill level or maturity or anything with her at all. It has everything to do with random accidents, which no amount of skill or maturity can overcome.

I see where you're coming from. I guess I'd say the same thing about jumping out of a plane. :-o :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Metroid wrote:

I see where you're coming from. I guess I'd say the same thing about jumping out of a plane. :-o :-b

Yeah, I was thinking about this as I walked around campus just now. There are risks everywhere, even from that rogue bus. You never know, and maybe Art's point about the statistics of safety, even though a joke, may apply. Who knows.

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Lance, where do you generally like to draw the line? You can't control everything. Obviously it is your job to protect your daughter, but how long of a leash do you allow and at what ages? Do you keep a short leash and then let go at 18? I believe very strongly in extending the length of the leash before letting go.

You know how a mother lion will tear a male lion limb from limb if it gets too close to her cubs, rending it with claw and teeth until it flees or dies? In general I'm not quite that liberal when it comes to the safety of my daughter. So maybe I'm on the extreme end of protectiveness. :-D

I recognize that this can't last, but she's still young. I push her to do things that are out of her comfort zone at times, but other times I reel her in. You're right that the leash has to get longer every year. Every day, actually. It's just difficult.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Lance, where do you generally like to draw the line? You can't control everything. Obviously it is your job to protect your daughter, but how long of a leash do you allow and at what ages? Do you keep a short leash and then let go at 18? I believe very strongly in extending the length of the leash before letting go.

You know how a mother lion will tear a male lion limb from limb if it gets too close to her cubs, rending it with claw and teeth until it flees or dies? In general I'm not quite that liberal when it comes to the safety of my daughter. So maybe I'm on the extreme end of protectiveness. :-D

I recognize that this can't last, but she's still young. I push her to do things that are out of her comfort zone at times, but other times I reel her in. You're right that the leash has to get longer every year. Every day, actually. It's just difficult.

Oh, I hear ya. I get accused of being overprotective when it comes to who I allow my kid to play with and where he's allowed to go, but then pretty loose when it comes to allowing him to, say, drive the bobcat or the car for instance. Shoot, I hurt my back last summer for a short time, so I had him get up on the roof and clean the gutters. I had a rope tied around his waist. ;-)

I suppose in this case, the classic answer of "it depends" applies.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:42 pm

knapplc wrote:Yeah, I was thinking about this as I walked around campus just now. There are risks everywhere, even from that rogue bus. You never know, and maybe Art's point about the statistics of safety, even though a joke, may apply. Who knows.

I wasn't so much joking as actually curious as to how unsafe it is to attempt something like this. The preparation would be such that I'd think all contengencies (at least foreseeable ones), would be accounted for, or at least considered. I'd bet that most people who set off to do something like this solo don't make it, but I bet few actually die trying. The thing is, as you stated, risks are everywhere. You can try to prepare for them and do what you can to minimize them (which could certainly include not setting off along for a trip around the world in a boat), but there is risk in walking down the street, playing in the park, swimming in the backyard pool, etc., etc., etc.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 pm

What's up with these parents? She's 13!?! Somalia?!?!?! !+)

Dutch child protection officers have threatened to put a 13-year-old girl into care because she is planning a record-breaking solo sailing trip around the world. The voyage, which has the approval of her parents, would take the teenager through some of the world's most dangerous waters. Laura Dekker spent Monday pleading with judges and Dutch education and child protection officials to allow her to take her sailing boat, named Guppy, on the voyage, beginning on September 1, when she will be 14. Dutch MPs debated the case last week. Child protection officials said the teenager might be unable to cope with the risks of round-the-world sailing, including pirate-infested seas off Somalia. The trip would also mean she would miss two years of schooling.

Vancouver Sun
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:26 am

to me, its really not that impressive if by chance you flip your boat over, you have hundreds of people looking for you and the odds are that you'll be saved, whats the point? is it really that dangerous?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:43 am

Snakes Gould wrote:to me, its really not that impressive if by chance you flip your boat over, you have hundreds of people looking for you and the odds are that you'll be saved, whats the point? is it really that dangerous?

The ocean is a very, VERY big place. Depending where on the ocean you are, you may only have minutes to live if you're directly in the water. Oh and things like sharks live in the ocean. Yeah, it's pretty dangerous.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk