16 year old trying to solo circumnavigate missing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

16 year old trying to solo circumnavigate missing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

16 year old trying to solo circumnavigate missing

Postby thedude » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:05 pm

A 16-year-old Southern California girl attempting a solo sail around the world was feared in trouble Thursday thousands of miles from land in the frigid, heaving southern Indian Ocean after her emergency beacons began signaling and communication was lost.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokeswoman Carly Lusk said three vessels were sent from the French territory of Reunion Island and an aircraft was to depart from Perth on a four-hour flight to Abby Sunderland's location more than 2,000 miles from both Africa and Australia.

It was not clear when the vessels left, but it would take a day for the nearest ship to reach the area. Reunion Island is off Madagascar, the very large island along the east coast of Africa.

Conditions can quickly become perilous for any sailor exposed to the elements in that part of the world.

Charlie Nobles, executive director of the American Sailing Association, said the best-case scenario would be that she had had a severe knockdown or roll by a strong wave that caused her communication equipment to go out, or the boat sustained structural damage that was preventing her from sailing.

The worst case would be if she was in the water or in her life raft.

"It's an extreme set of conditions with the winds, the force of the waves," he said.

A person lost at sea can typically survive 12 days on average without fresh water and a month without food, according to survival experts.

If the boat capsized, survival will depend on factors including water temperature, sea conditions, safety gear and whether there was something to hold on to.

Last year a Netherlands court concerned about safety blocked a 13-year-old girl's plan to sail around the world, sparking debate on the role of authorities and parents when children want to undertake risky adventures.

Such attempts have resulted in success and tragedy.

Last month, 13-year-old Jordan Romero of Big Bear, Calif., became the youngest person to scale 29,035-foot Mount Everest. But in 1996, 7-year-old Jessica Dubroff, her father and a flight instructor were killed in a crash in Cheyenne, Wyo., during her attempt to become the youngest person to fly across the country.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... gD9G8MB6O1
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 16 year old trying to solo circumnavigate missing

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:12 am

They found her alive. She's pretty lucky.

Someone still needs to slap her parents.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby thedude » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Lucky. She was 400 miles from the nearest boat (in pirate infested waters). Her parents really should be ashamed of themselves.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby theclefe » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Kids are replaceable. Why not send her out. She becomes much more valuable famous. ;-7
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:40 am

Heard coworkers talking about this last week. Crazy. I'm out of the loop here, so what's with all the disapproval of the parents? Because she's 16 and left to sail on her own in dangerous waters? At what age, adult I would presume, would it be appropriate?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:33 pm

I don't blame the parents at all. If it were my daughter and I thought she was prepared and capable of doing it, I'd absolutely support it and allow her to try.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:37 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't blame the parents at all. If it were my daughter and I thought she was prepared and capable of doing it, I'd absolutely support it and allow her to try.

Absolutely. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:46 pm

I see what Art and Met are saying, but I disagree. When my wife was driving to Omaha 50 miles on the Interstate, I wasn't worried about her because she's a bad driver. She's an excellent driver. What I was worried about were all the other idiots out there wiping her out.

No matter what skill or talent you have, unforeseen circumstances can spell disaster - which they apparently did in this case. I'm not willing to risk my 16-year-old daughter's life on those unforeseen circumstances if I'm those parents.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:54 pm

knapplc wrote:I see what Art and Met are saying, but I disagree. When my wife was driving to Omaha 50 miles on the Interstate, I wasn't worried about her because she's a bad driver. She's an excellent driver. What I was worried about were all the other idiots out there wiping her out.

No matter what skill or talent you have, unforeseen circumstances can spell disaster - which they apparently did in this case. I'm not willing to risk my 16-year-old daughter's life on those unforeseen circumstances if I'm those parents.

I wonder what percentage of people trying to sail around the world solo end up dead. I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's statistically more safe to attempt to sail around the world alone than it is to drive on the interstate. In my opinion, you have to allow your kids to make goals, work toward them, and try to achieve them, even if they are risky. Not all 16-year-olds are created equal, obviously, and it should be a case-by-case decision, but I'll side witht he parents and assume that they had a better idea of what their daughter was capable of than we do.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:59 pm

I guess it comes down to her maturity. You know? I mean there are many 16 year olds who are much more mature than 90% of the adults out there, capable of fully taking care of themselves. I'm not a parent though so take my opinion for what it is, if I had a 16 year old daughter I might change my tune.

There are people who do very extraordinary things at very young ages. I'm sure you know someone who left home to make their way at a very young age...hell at 14 my dad was on a ship bound for the Pacific theater with a rifle in his hands.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Next

Return to General Talk