Softball Scorekeeping Error - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Softball Scorekeeping Error

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Softball Scorekeeping Error

Postby theclefe » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:19 am

I run a softball league and a recent game was protested by the losing team. Our official scorekeeper allegedly made a mistake in the third inning, not crediting that team with a run. The game continued with the official score communicated to both teams every inning or so The game ended 7-6. The losing team, which kept it's own book (winning team did not), noticed the mistake and pointed it out to the umpire after the game was called alleging it should be a tie game.

If upon reviewing the books and talking to the umpire, scorekeeper and captains, I have reason to believe a mistake was made, what should I do? The winning team argues that the protest should have been made in the third inning, or shortly thereafter, not after the game had ended. Both teams were playing under the assumed score, and if the losing team had a concern about the score, they had several innings to address it.

Is there a standard when it comes to protests of this type? Should I schedule an extra inning to resolve the 7-7 tie? Should I stay with the final score as called by the umpire? What if two runs were missing and no extra inning could be played?
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Softball Scorekeeping Error

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:51 am

Call Bud Selig, ask him what he would do, then do the opposite.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby beatdrum » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:45 am

A similar situation in my co-ed league last year. A scoring error was made in the 3rd inning and we eventually lost by one. We protested after the game and it was decided that we would replay the game from the 3rd inning on. We still lost. :~(
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:12 pm

You can't reverse the outcome. It would set a terrible precedent, and you'd have to review every softball game since beer was invented.

Human error is part of the game, which is why this is beautiful. Make sure everyone shakes hands later. Take pictures.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby beatdrum » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:20 pm

StlSluggers wrote:You can't reverse the outcome. It would set a terrible precedent, and you'd have to review every softball game since beer was invented.

Human error is part of the game, which is why this is beautiful. Make sure everyone shakes hands later. Take pictures.

According to the ASA handbook you very well can review the call and act accordingly particularly if it was an error of the scorekeeper and not the umps. However, that being said, in our situation last year, I would have been fine with taking the loss. It's just softball.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 pm

beatdrum wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:You can't reverse the outcome. It would set a terrible precedent, and you'd have to review every softball game since beer was invented.

According to the ASA handbook you very well can review the call and act accordingly particularly if it was an error of the scorekeeper and not the umps. However, that being said, in our situation last year, I would have been fine with taking the loss. It's just softball.

I guess I should have put a ;-7 after my post.

Figured it was pretty obvious.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 pm

:-b
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Return to General Talk