Pirates promotions... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pirates promotions...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pirates promotions...

Postby hett2333 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:42 pm

jh2031 wrote:For anyone interested, I heard from a couple different local Pittsburgh sports guys that Alvarez could be up in one of the next Pirates homestands.

Would you be willing to take a chance on Alvarez over a player like Jose Lopez or Callaspo? Trying to gage a value for him...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Element » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:48 pm

hett2333 wrote:
Element wrote:They seem to speculate a Tuesday callup for Alvarez here.

insidepittsburghsports.com

Would you be willing to take a chance on him over a player like Jose Lopez or Callaspo? Trying to gage a value for him...

Jose Lopez has been playing pretty well lately. I think he'll be a better play from here on out.

Alvarez is a power threat, but I wouldn't expect much in the way of average. If you need power, go with Pedro. If you need BA, go with Callaspo. I like Lopez better than both though.

I've been debating on Freddy Sanchez or Juan Uribe as a DL replacement for A-Ram .... or I could wait until Tuesday and hope the report is correct on Pedo's call-up. I would have an empty starting spot until then though ... and I may lose the waiver claim. I'm struggling though and need to make some bold moves. Decisions ... decisions.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby rotoquest » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:50 am

ESPN: Alvarez continues to pressure management for a call-up, bashing his 13th home run of the season at Triple-A Indianapolis on Saturday.

Spin:Speaking on his weekly radio show, Pirates GM Neal Huntington said internal team discussions originally put an Alvarez call-up in late June, after Brad Lincoln and Jose Tabata. On Sunday, Huntington said Alvarez's recall date is "unknown" as of today. "Pedro's coming along just fine," the GM said. "Statistically, he's hitting lefties better than righties, but it's a small sample size. We need to make sure he's ready for tough lefty relievers." Huntington also discussed Alvarez's timeframe. "He's making good progress. Our feel was end of June, but sometimes a player can push that forward." From a fantasy perspective, Alvarez is the type of impact bat that could contribute immediately to fantasy teams. It wouldn't be surprising to see him make his major league debut during the upcoming homestand at PNC Park, which starts on Tuesday.

Picking him up and stashing him just in case.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers