affeldt : closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

affeldt : closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

affeldt : closer?

Postby benjapage » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:33 pm

i know macdougal will start the season as the royals' closer, but i've read in several fantasy mags that affeldt has a decent chance of taking over the role.

how long is macdougal's leash? from what i have read, affeldt would make a fantastic closer. any tips from royals's fans out there?

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: affeldt : closer?

Postby MikeeDee » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:34 pm

benjapage wrote:i know macdougal will start the season as the royals' closer, but i've read in several fantasy mags that affeldt has a decent chance of taking over the role.

how long is macdougal's leash? from what i have read, affeldt would make a fantastic closer. any tips from royals's fans out there?

b

His blister problems seem to be over, so he'll move to the rotation. leskanic is the back-up closer.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kentx12 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:01 pm

I have seen a few articles saying that he will be the 3rd starter.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dude86 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:06 pm

I also think Affeldt will be a starter this year.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby drunkenmonkey » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:29 pm

Keep in mind that most of those fantasy mags were written sometime in November or December. He's definitely in the rotation this year.
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby prodpaul » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:52 pm

Allard Baird said thought that First time any sign of a blister shows up though he is in the pen. He is on a short leash with that finger.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Re: affeldt : closer?

Postby kckc » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:56 pm

benjapage wrote:i know macdougal will start the season as the royals' closer, but i've read in several fantasy mags that affeldt has a decent chance of taking over the role.

b

Living in KC I've been following the closer situation closely. Mac will close, but he's now come down with some sort of health/sickness and no one knows why he's feeling so weak in spring training. Affeldt apparently will be a starter as he has shown no side effects from his blister problems in the past. I'd bet on Leskanic closing if Mac isn't ready.
kckc

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby HollywoodHershiserz » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:57 pm

Either way, Affeldt will make for a great late-round sleeper pick in everyone's drafts...plus, a healthy JuanGone, a more experienced Guiel and Berroa and 5-tool Carlos will add to a potent line-up which should provide decent run support.
I'm high on Affeldt this season.
HollywoodHershiserz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:23 am

Yeah those fantasy mags were written before Affeldt had a quality ST, he has gone up around 80 pitches so far w/o the blister. I think he may develop this year into our ace believe it or not.

And yes, if Mac starts on the DL, Leskanic, who was a closer for much of his career, will be fine. RIght now, if you have a spot to spare, Leskanic is a good add for some cheap saves your first couple matchups in H2H.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ondeckb » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:24 am

Keep in mind that if Leskanic closes they'll only throw him every other day. The Royals are protecting his arm. On the other days, anybody's guess .
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers