Selig Chimes in on Instant Replay, 2010 & Beyond - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Selig Chimes in on Instant Replay, 2010 & Beyond

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Selig Chimes in on Instant Replay, 2010 & Beyond

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 am

(AP)—Bud Selig will continue to look at expanding the use of instant replay in baseball, but doesn’t think it will happen this year—if at all.

“I doubt it, but I wouldn’t ever say never,” the baseball commissioner said Monday night at the site of the draft at MLB Network studios. “It’s worked out well. Look, I am a traditionalist, but I also want to do what I think is best for the sport.

Last Wednesday, first-base umpire Jim Joyce erred on what would have been the final out of a perfect game by Armando Galarraga(notes) in Detroit, where the Tigers beat Cleveland 3-0, calling the Indians’ Jason Donald(notes) safe.

The incident had many in the media and fans calling for an expanded use of replay on calls that could affect games, not just on home runs.

“Look, in the end, for good or bad, I think I’ve changed this sport more than anybody else ever has in the past 18 years,” Selig said. “I will do what I think is right and I’ll take the responsibility for it.”

Selig said he and baseball’s special committee for on-field matters have a conference call coming up to review several topics, and added that there will be “no sacred cows.” He also said he has spoken to several baseball people, who have told him they are against expanding replay.

Selig added that he was “extremely comfortable” about his decision to not reverse the blown call and was proud of the way Joyce, Galarraga, manager Jim Leyland and the Tigers handled themselves in what could have been an ugly situation. A tearful Joyce apologized to a gracious Galarraga after the game. On Thursday, the pitcher delivered the Tigers’ lineup card to Joyce before the teams’ next game.

“When you look back at it, and I don’t want to be trite about it, but it really turned out to be a great story,” said Selig, who spoke with Joyce on Monday. “You had a pitcher who acted just beautifully, you had an umpire who did what a lot of people in life should do, he told the truth. … That’s as good as any sport has ever confronted a difficult situation and the credit goes to the parties involved.”

These same 'baseball people' will make sure we get a shot clock before we get a meaningful implementation of instant replay.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Selig Chimes in on Instant Replay, 2010 & Beyond

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:34 pm

It'll be great when these "traditionalists" retire so we can get common sense into baseball. How do you not run instant replay on a play that can decide a game, let alone the difference between perfection and a normal start?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:20 pm

It's inevitable, unfortunately. Hopefully Selig holds out as long as possible, but I bet whoever succeeds him institutes it in his first year.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:It's inevitable, unfortunately. Hopefully Selig holds out as long as possible, but I bet whoever succeeds him institutes it in his first year.

the commissioner is picked by the owners, right?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby gnarboots11 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:46 pm

Instant replay is dumb and a waste of time. These idiot officials still dont get the calls right so why waste my time reviewing them. NBA now has instant replay and how did that work out? KG obviously is the last person to touch the ball out of bounds, clear as day, they review it, LOOKS LIKE ITS CELTIC BALL! Thanks for the instant replay bros, way to waste my time. NFL screws it up and gets it wrong still. Face it, theres gonna be bad calls, its the facts of life, lets just move on with the game and stop wasting time.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:54 pm

gnarboots11 wrote:Instant replay is dumb and a waste of time. These idiot officials still dont get the calls right so why waste my time reviewing them. NBA now has instant replay and how did that work out? KG obviously is the last person to touch the ball out of bounds, clear as day, they review it, LOOKS LIKE ITS CELTIC BALL! Thanks for the instant replay bros, way to waste my time. NFL screws it up and gets it wrong still. Face it, theres gonna be bad calls, its the facts of life, lets just move on with the game and stop wasting time.

this guy continues to blow me away
each time he posts, i feel like i'm in the Chris Matthews SNL skit where he kept asking for more crazy

cafe rookie poster of the year nominee, no doubt :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:It's inevitable, unfortunately. Hopefully Selig holds out as long as possible, but I bet whoever succeeds him institutes it in his first year.

Yeah, but I get the impression that Selig is kind of leading the anti-replay charge. I think more owners than have spoken out in favor of it would go along with it if a new commissioner made it a priority.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

Yeah, but I get the impression that Selig is kind of leading the anti-replay charge. I think more owners than have spoken out in favor of it would go along with it if a new commissioner made it a priority.

see, i get the impression that it's the other way around, particularly when he says that he's talking to "baseball people".
i think he's just talking about the owners there

i also don't think there is equality among the owners.
their power is synonymous with their market size, like shareholders owning varying quantities of a company's stock

all of which leads me to think they'd put in Selig 2.0 if they had the choice
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:the commissioner is picked by the owners, right?

see, i get the impression that it's the other way around, particularly when he says that he's talking to "baseball people".
i think he's just talking about the owners there

i also don't think there is equality among the owners.
their power is synonymous with their market size, like shareholders owning varying quantities of a company's stock

all of which leads me to think they'd put in Selig 2.0 if they had the choice

Who knows? When he says he's talked to "baseball people" I get the impression that he hasn't really talked to anyone (other than maybe a close group of advisors and yes-men, and maybe a couple of the more senior owners) and that "baseball people" is a term that can't be flushed out or investigated. Even if he said he talked to owners, that would narrow the list down to just a few people who could then be questioned about any possible conversations with Selig and their feelings on replay. "Baseball people" is vague enough to basically be the end of the conversation.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby baseball77 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:36 pm

I think "baseball people" is a euphemism for the owners. Bud Selig is nothing more than a lackey for the owners. He is the worst commissioner in sports and the owners will probably choose a Selig clone as his replacement. It's sad, but that's the way it goes. In baseball, like everything else, the guys with the money make all the decisions and their decisions are based on what's good for them; not what's good for everyone else or even the sport.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers