Dilema at Closer. Punt? Upgrade? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Dilema at Closer. Punt? Upgrade? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dilema at Closer. Punt? Upgrade? WHIR

Postby lyons595 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:31 am

I have one legit closer (on the DL), one temp closer, and one closer who has been good overall but is struggling. I'm thinking about punting saves, trading what I have for 1B help, OF depth and/or SP. Trades could also open up stream spots for me.

Currently I am a tie for 4th in the league, but we are clearly the 4 best teams and are only separated by 8 games. We have standard 10 cats every week, so making up games can be done in one good week.

What do I do?

ESPN, h2h, 14 team, 4 RP max, daily. Cats: avg, r, hr, rbi, sb; w, k, sv, era, whip. Non-keeper. I stream SP weekly.

C Yadier Molina
1B Carlos Pena
2B Ben Zobrist
3B Evan Longoria
SS Hanley Ramirez
OF Matt Holliday
OF Austin Jackson
OF Johnny Gomes
UTIL Brad Hawpe
Bench Gordan Beckham
Bench Miguel Montero (DL)
Bench Michael Stanton

SP Cole Hamels
SP Tim Hudson
SP Jaime Garcia
SP Stream spot
RP Manny Corpas
RP Mike Gonzalez (DL)
RP Matt Lindstrom
lyons595
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 227)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dilema at Closer. Punt? Upgrade? WHIR

Postby jopo81 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:28 pm

I wouldnt punt save just yet. I think you can still find closers available. There are always guys that get hurt or just plain suck. We are still in early June. Is either Axford or Ohman available? They are not great options but could help you. Overall your team needs some SP more than anything. Your OF is good and Pena will figure it out. Be patient, don't punt. You wont get those points back. Just my humble opinion.
jopo81
T-Ball Trainer

Postby citti34 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Thank you for the help...

I don't think you should punt saves... I've NEVER seen someone punt a category and win it all. NEVER... But then again, I play roto...

Saves always become available one way or another in the WW. That said, yes, it takes work researching adding/dropping these guys... Saves are like SBs in my opinion, you can find them... That bad thing is that these guys (mediocre/fill-in CLs) will often raise your era/whip and give you less Ks per IP... The positives? You'll get saves, and if you get lucky and or do a good job picking up some guys you can package them for a legit closer... I've picked up guys like Soria (back in the day), and other closers that really helped me win..... Be the guy in the league that is picking up all the "possible" closers...
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donald17 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks for the help with mine. I agree with the above you posters in that you shouldn't punt saves. The position I would try to improve is SP.
donald17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby krunchyfrogg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks for helpin' me out! ;-D
citti34 wrote:I don't think you should punt saves... I've NEVER seen someone punt a category and win it all. NEVER... But then again, I play roto...

That's the difference. In HTH, punting is a viable option. You can't get away with it in roto.

I'd say it's worth going for. Still keep an eye out for guys who step into the closer role. If another team only has one or two closers, you might vulture that category if a closer gets hurt for a week or two and you can snatch up his replacement.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lyons595 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks all. My trade offers which I had made using my closers went no where, so I am goingto ride it out with these guys. I'm pretty good about getting to guys before anyone else, but I missed Axford. I had drafted Frank Francisco and when he lost his job early, it put me in a bad position.
lyons595
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 227)

Postby phillyguy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:00 pm

People tend to overrate closers. If you can get a good deal that will improve you team and help you in multiple catagorys i would punt it. If you can't then just stick it out.
phillyguy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby zonk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:18 am

In HtH, I'd try and trade your one legit closer for a starter, add the best SP possible. Or, you might get a better value by adding the best SP on the DL (Haap? Jurrjens? De La Rosa?)

Or, try and trade that closer for a SP who has really struggled but is likely to turn it around. (Beckett?)

I always punt saves in H2H, especially if there are no inning limits per week.
zonk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team