Jeremy Hellickson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Hellickson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jeremy Hellickson

Postby silverZ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:56 pm

SAKIC_19 wrote:Is it time for a speculative add? Any Rays homers to add some insight?

bump
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:00 am

Hellickson, who is backlogged behind a talented young Major League rotation in Tampa Bay, has dominated International League hitters to the tune of 9-2 and a 2.33 ERA. It's certainly an honor he's earned, though not one he was expecting.

"Just to play in a Futures Game, just to know that people think highly of you and want you to play in one the biggest games there is for Minor League players, it makes you feel good about yourself and all that you've accomplished so far."

The talented right-hander may not be in the big leagues yet, but he'll certainly get a taste for it in Anaheim.

"To travel and play in this game in a big league stadium will be fun. I'm just hoping I get play in another big league stadium later in the year," Hellickson said, referring to a potential late-season callup.

MLB.com

Sounds like he's chomping at the bit but doesn't sound like he's aware of anything imminent...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Tony Micelli » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:09 am

Davis couldn't even make it into the 5th inning tonight, issuing 5 walks, and a hit batter in the process.

I'm real tempted to add him too ... looks like he could get Davis' start on Sunday against the D - Backs.
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tony Micelli » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:30 pm

From Rotoworld today -- Rays manager Joe Maddon said Tuesday that the Rays have not considered calling up right-handed prospect Jeremy Hellickson.
"That's not been a discussion," Maddon said. Assuming he's telling the truth, it appears the Rays will stick with Wade Davis and hope that he can right ship before the All-Star break. Hellickson, 23, has posted a 2.33 ERA, a 1.09 WHIP and a 90/21 K/BB ratio in 88-plus Triple-A innings this year.
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm

So what I'm hearing so far in this thread is that Hellickson 'deserves' the call because...

A. He has tore up minor league hitting?
B. Because Wade Davis hit a rough patch?
C. Just because...

So what about the other arms in that rotation? Neimann and Price have been solid since day 1. But why do I hear so much Davis bashing over his last few outings, and that the Yanks and Sox are right there now? What about Shields? What about Garza? Those are the 2 biggest reasons the Rays had the big lead, look at their stats over the last month, then ask yourself why would Davis stay up and Hellickson won't be coming up anytime soon. There, at this point and time even with the struggles, would be no reason to swap these two, because it would just show Davis that they aren't depending on him being a solid rotation guy for them, and that they don't want to give him the time to work the kinks out.

Shields last month worth of stats: 1-5, 30.2IP, 19K, 9W, 25ER, 7.34ER, 1.57WHIP
Garza last month worth of stats: 2-3, 24IP, 19K, 14BB, 24ER, 9.00ERA, 2.13WHIP
Davis last month worth of stats: 1-5, 29.2IP, 18K, 11BB, 24ER, 7.28ERA, 1.72WHIP

So when you look at that you see its not just Davis pulling that rotation down, its the 2-headed montser atop it also. Point being, they aren't going to jump ship on Davis right now because hes not going to pitch a full year anyways (innings cap). So they will just stick with him and ride out the innings he has left, then call up Hellickson to finish out the year.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Are you Wade's dad or something? He's clearly the weakest link. Hellickson has been head and shoulders better in AAA than Davis ever was (and pretty much anybody else this year, for that matter), and Davis hasn't done much in the majors. He's stinking it up this season and has no track record. They're trying to win this year because their window of opportunity isn't very big. They absolutely should give Hellickson a shot at the rotation, they'd be dumb not to.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Are you Wade's dad or something? He's clearly the weakest link. Hellickson has been head and shoulders better in AAA than Davis ever was (and pretty much anybody else this year, for that matter), and Davis hasn't done much in the majors. He's stinking it up this season and has no track record. They're trying to win this year because their window of opportunity isn't very big. They absolutely should give Hellickson a shot at the rotation, they'd be dumb not to.

If their organizational philosophy is that Davis should work things out at the MLB level, then you have to commend them for having a strategy and sticking to it. It's just a strategy that will leave them open to criticism if he doesn't pan out.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SAKIC_19 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:32 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:So what I'm hearing so far in this thread is that Hellickson 'deserves' the call because...

C. Just because...

So what about the other arms in that rotation? Neimann and Price have been solid since day 1. But why do I hear so much Davis bashing over his last few outings, and that the Yanks and Sox are right there now? What about Shields? What about Garza? Those are the 2 biggest reasons the Rays had the big lead, look at their stats over the last month, then ask yourself why would Davis stay up and Hellickson won't be coming up anytime soon. There, at this point and time even with the struggles, would be no reason to swap these two, because it would just show Davis that they aren't depending on him being a solid rotation guy for them, and that they don't want to give him the time to work the kinks out.

Shields last month worth of stats: 1-5, 30.2IP, 19K, 9W, 25ER, 7.34ER, 1.57WHIP
Garza last month worth of stats: 2-3, 24IP, 19K, 14BB, 24ER, 9.00ERA, 2.13WHIP
Davis last month worth of stats: 1-5, 29.2IP, 18K, 11BB, 24ER, 7.28ERA, 1.72WHIP

No offense Bazzy, but I don't care about the stats. My point being is that Davis is the rookie which puts him directly in the line of fire to go to the bullpen or back to Triple A. It's not unlike Tillman in BAL who is continually sent down once he proves he is not ready. The Rays aren't going to move Shields or Garza given their pedegree regardless of how they are struggling. There is also something to be said about bringing up a rookie to spark the team in the middle of the year which is why your watching Strasburg in Washington right now. As a fantasy player I don't care about rationale. I do know that a team that is losing its grip on their division lead may think its time to panic (right or wrong) and push the panic button in making the call for Hellickson. Even more so given it is the AL East and the window of opportunity isn't big to begin with. I suspect we will see Hellickson soon in a Rays uniform with Davis going to the bullpen so not to completely ruin his confidence. No bashing, just my opinion. It's always nice to get different perspectives.
SAKIC_19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:So what I'm hearing so far in this thread is that Hellickson 'deserves' the call because...

C. Just because...

Didnt Davis tore up minor league hitting too? :-?
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:56 pm

my brain is cringing at that sentence

:-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers