Illinois Working Hard to Maintiain "Most Corrupted" Status - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Illinois Working Hard to Maintiain "Most Corrupted" Status

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Illinois Working Hard to Maintiain "Most Corrupted" Status

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:33 am

From an article discussing the trend in some states to give police the power to bring serious charges against people who videotape and/or photograph them. I have no idea when the article was posted, so there's a chance it's more than a few days old. You've been warned.

Gizmodo wrote:Are Cameras the New Guns?

In response to a flood of Facebook and YouTube videos that depict police abuse, a new trend in law enforcement is gaining popularity. In at least three states, it is now illegal to record any on-duty police officer.

Even if the encounter involves you and may be necessary to your defense, and even if the recording is on a public street where no expectation of privacy exists.

The legal justification for arresting the "shooter" rests on existing wiretapping or eavesdropping laws, with statutes against obstructing law enforcement sometimes cited. Illinois, Massachusetts, and Maryland are among the 12 states in which all parties must consent for a recording to be legal unless, as with TV news crews, it is obvious to all that recording is underway. Since the police do not consent, the camera-wielder can be arrested. Most all-party-consent states also include an exception for recording in public places where "no expectation of privacy exists" (Illinois does not) but in practice this exception is not being recognized.

Massachusetts attorney June Jensen represented Simon Glik who was arrested for such a recording. She explained, "[T]he statute has been misconstrued by Boston police. You could go to the Boston Common and snap pictures and record if you want." Legal scholar and professor Jonathan Turley agrees, "The police are basing this claim on a ridiculous reading of the two-party consent surveillance law - requiring all parties to consent to being taped. I have written in the area of surveillance law and can say that this is utter nonsense."

The courts, however, disagree. A few weeks ago, an Illinois judge rejected a motion to dismiss an eavesdropping charge against Christopher Drew, who recorded his own arrest for selling one-dollar artwork on the streets of Chicago. Although the misdemeanor charges of not having a peddler's license and peddling in a prohibited area were dropped, Drew is being prosecuted for illegal recording, a Class I felony punishable by 4 to 15 years in prison.
Last edited by StlSluggers on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Illinois Working Hard to Maintiain "Most Corrupted" Status

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:41 am

Ridiculous. I think you should be able to record on-duty police anywhere and everywhere, but how they can rationalize making illegal to record them in public is beyond me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 am

If the guy recorded his own arrest wouldn't it be obvious that he was recording it.

This just sounds like a bad idea all around.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 am

What a bunch of horse crap. I totally agree with Art, if a person is in public they should be able to be recorded, period. If the city can put up cameras all over the place to monitor citizens, citizens should be able to use their cameras to tape police in public. If an officer, or anyone else, wants to step in front of the camera and put a hand in the way, fine. But people in public performing a public service should be able to be recorded.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 am

This is scary stuff. It's a principle of natural justice and a well known maxim that "not only must justice be done but it must also be seen to be done."

The justice system is meant to be public and accessible. That's why courts and trials are open to the public (unless held in camera for security concerns) and the media. Justice dispensed in private and secret is not to be trusted.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:56 pm

I honestly wonder what would happen if you yelled "I'M FILMING YOUUUUU!" I mean, I know what would probably be a direct result (a beat down) but afterwards, would it stand up in court?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Use an audio recorder instead or does that fall under the statute also?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:12 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Use an audio recorder instead or does that fall under the statute also?

The article actually says that the audio recordings are usually the grounds for the charge. Simply photos apparently aren't illegal everywhere, but everywhere has wire-tapping legislation.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Utterly ridiculous. Citizens must have the right to record the police. This is just absurd.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Could you imagine if he'd taken that picture in Illinois?

I wonder if it'd be admissible as evidence? :-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk