100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Laptop help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Laptop help

Postby Fade2White12 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:24 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Fade2White12 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Closest I can get is to the safe mode screen with the admin log on option but the admin password is not admin. Pretty frustrating because I don't want to reboot the system with a disc I don't have.

Generally the Administrator pw is nothing - just leave it blank.

I did this but it asked for one so I think that means somebody was messing with it. It might be a lost cause I am not really sure.

Then I assume an error message popped up, and you had the choice of either inserting the pw reset disk, or showing you a hint?

If you cannot log in to any user accounts in safe mode that have administrator powers, then there is absolutely nothing you can do. You'll have to reformat. There are some password reset programs online that you can try to burn to a cd and boot from the disk, which may work. If they do not, you might as well ask your buddy to contact the previous owner to see if he/she can give you the password.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Laptop help

Postby hondo4mvp » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:30 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I just acquired a decent Dell laptop for free, the only issue is that the previous owner who lost the computer has a password login on XP and the person who gave it to me doesn't know the password. Is there any way I can reboot the OS without a disc or knowing the password?

Depending on how much you want to bang your head against the wall, here are some free things you can try.http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/4-ways-to-crack-or-reset-a-forgotten-windows-xp-administrator-password/

In the comments section there are a couple pay sites mentioned.I haven't used any of them because I've lots of security programs that are more expensive.

If you aren't that geekified ,I'd suggest just paying the $35 .I'm sure you can get more than that for the laptop on Craigslist or Ebay.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk