Adam Dunn Career HR's: What does he end up with? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam Dunn Career HR's: What does he end up with?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Adam Dunn Career HR's: What does he end up with?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:46 pm

I think he gets to 500 but that doesn't get him in the HOF. He's only been to one All-Star game and has no major awards to his name. I think it is going to take some post-season heroics or closer to 600 HR for him to have a chance.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:15 pm

He would have been a multiple all-star award winner if he played in NY, Boston or LA though.... is that really good criteria? If Dunn played in NY and was voted as a starter his entire career with inflated RBI numbers but otherwise the same stats would he be HOF?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:26 pm

jfg wrote:He would have been a multiple all-star award winner if he played in NY, Boston or LA though.... is that really good criteria? If Dunn played in NY and was voted as a starter his entire career with inflated RBI numbers but otherwise the same stats would he be HOF?

This is a good point because I'd almost bet the answer was yes if he played in a major market.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:10 pm

jfg wrote:He would have been a multiple all-star award winner if he played in NY, Boston or LA though.... is that really good criteria? If Dunn played in NY and was voted as a starter his entire career with inflated RBI numbers but otherwise the same stats would he be HOF?

Is that really good criteria? No.
Will that be the criteria the HOF voters will judge him by? Yes
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby jfg » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:29 pm

So forget about the voters... if Adam Dunn hits 500 HR's should he get in? Accolades mean nothing to me because they're arbitrary, all that matters is the stats and he might be the first 500 HR hitter that you can say doesn't belong. Everybody on the list right now is above virtual clinch status on the HOF monitor. Raffy is way above it and Thome is 15 points above it. Dunn might end up being the Bert Blyleven of his generation.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby giants8307 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 pm

jfg wrote:So forget about the voters... if Adam Dunn hits 500 HR's should he get in? Accolades mean nothing to me because they're arbitrary, all that matters is the stats and he might be the first 500 HR hitter that you can say doesn't belong. Everybody on the list right now is above virtual clinch status on the HOF monitor. Raffy is way above it and Thome is 15 points above it. Dunn might end up being the Bert Blyleven of his generation.

I would say yes, he should. He's consistently been a tremendous power hitter and has always maintained an outstanding OBP. He's hit 40+ homers five times in in his career and he can certainly reach that mark again.

As for "dominance," he did hit 46 homers in '04 with a .956 OPS. Pretty dominant in my opinion.

For being a one-dimensional player, he also stole 19 bases in his first full season ('02)! That was quite startling.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:49 pm

I don't think the amount of dimensions a player excels in should be a consideration, but rather the entire net value of that player. The question is: is his one dimension (an on base and slugging machine) enough to make up for his lack of defense? I guess that could be answered by looking at some of the respected valuation stats that are going around - win shares, or whatever metrics are being used these days, haven't looked into it for a while. If he keeps going at a 900 OPS clip for another 8 years or so it would be hard to say he done'st deserve the hall of fame. Whether they actually induct him is another matter, and one that I'm not particularly interested in.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby giants8307 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:06 pm

j24jags wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I think he gets to 500 but that doesn't get him in the HOF. He's only been to one All-Star game and has no major awards to his name. I think it is going to take some post-season heroics or closer to 600 HR for him to have a chance.

I agree with this.

He will hit 500, and he will not get in. He is one-dimensional, he has never been a "dominant player," never been one of the best players in the game, never been a winner.

I don't think it matters if the teams he plays on wins any games at all. He could be on the next 5 world series winners and it shouldn't count toward a Hall of Fame induction. Wins are a team stat, not an individual stat.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers