Mets' players: Send Perez packing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mets' players: Send Perez packing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mets' players: Send Perez packing

Postby The Big Train » Mon May 31, 2010 9:42 am

The article only quotes two players but I would guess that there is probably a consensus on this in the Mets clubhouse.

MILWAUKEE — The message from the Mets’ clubhouse to the front office is simple: S.O.S. — Send Ollie Sailing.

A day after watching Oliver Perez implode in a relief appearance against the Brewers, two disgusted Mets players told The Post yesterday it’s time management drew a line in the sand with the putrid lefty.

“You tell him you go to Triple-A or that’s it, you are finished,” one Mets player said, well aware that Perez is still owed about $20 million on the three-year contract he signed before the 2009 season.

A second Mets player echoed that line of thinking.

“At some point you have to cut bait,” he said. “You owe him a lot of money, but for what?”

Perez, whom the Mets banished to the bullpen two weeks ago, allowed three runs over two innings on Saturday after Fernando Nieve flopped in a spot start. Perez surrendered a two-run homer to Corey Hart in the third inning and another run in the fourth.

The Mets have asked Perez to accept an assignment to Triple-A Buffalo, but the pitcher has refused, as he’s allowed to do by his contract. He says he doesn’t believe he would benefit from facing minor-league competition.

And Perez told The Post yesterday he won’t reconsider.

“I want to stay here,” said Perez, who is 0-3 with a 6.25 ERA.

Before the Mets’ 10-4 victory over the Brewers, manager Jerry Manuel was hard-pressed to name a scenario in which he would consider using Perez.

“That’s really a tough question,” Manuel said. “[Maybe] extra innings or something like that, but it’s going to be tough to find spots for him.”

When told that Manuel’s plan is to save Perez for extra-inning games, one of the Mets players laughed.

“What, we need another 20-inning game and then use him after we’ve used all our pitchers and if a position player’s sinker isn’t biting?” the player said.

Management isn’t eager to swallow the remainder of Perez’s contract and there is always the fear of dumping him and then watching the lefty rediscover his stuff on a team that signs him for the major-league minimum.

An organizational source said the idea of dumping Perez could be broached, but there has not been internal dialogue as of yet.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/pla ... BOLzFSTx2K
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mets' players: Send Perez packing

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 am

This is definitely the stuff of Mets FAIL lore.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby HighHeater » Mon May 31, 2010 11:43 am

i dont condone players throwing players under the bus at all. the mets players all need a hard lesson in professionalism in my opinion. Oliver Perez or not thats a management decision. No wonder there is no winning with this team if they cant find the concept of comradeship. Last i checked there was a lot more then Perez being a problem holding his own weight there. just a thought but maybe instead of pointing fingers they should come together as a family.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby garf112 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:03 pm

have you watched Oliver Perez pitch??? the guy is lost. he could obviously be helped by going down to AAA. Ollie is the one that needs the lesson in "comradeship" or whatever you called it. do what's best for the team and go to the minors.
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby HighHeater » Mon May 31, 2010 2:25 pm

garf112 wrote:have you watched Oliver Perez pitch??? the guy is lost. he could obviously be helped by going down to AAA. Ollie is the one that needs the lesson in "comradeship" or whatever you called it. do what's best for the team and go to the minors.

i do agree with this however i dont agree with players throwing teammates under the bus publicly. handle this in house and via management. management should have been wiser then to offer a contract like that to perez in the first place so who's fault is this really? again i just think its piss poor to make it public from teammate to teammate.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 31, 2010 4:05 pm

“What, we need another 20-inning game and then use him after we’ve used all our pitchers and if a position player’s sinker isn’t biting?” the player said.

rofl

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby teezy33 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:36 pm

And yet, he's the third highest paid player on the team behind Santana and K-Rod :-D :-D :-D

And this is why the Mets still aren't the team to beat :-B
You're KILLING me Smalls!
teezy33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:03 am

He gets paid more than Bay?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:16 am

HighHeater wrote:
garf112 wrote:have you watched Oliver Perez pitch??? the guy is lost. he could obviously be helped by going down to AAA. Ollie is the one that needs the lesson in "comradeship" or whatever you called it. do what's best for the team and go to the minors.

i do agree with this however i dont agree with players throwing teammates under the bus publicly. handle this in house and via management. management should have been wiser then to offer a contract like that to perez in the first place so who's fault is this really? again i just think its piss poor to make it public from teammate to teammate.

I think the fact that they asked him to go to AAA and he refused negates any unwritten rule about "comradeship". He's hurting the team because of his ego, plain and simple. I wouldn't stand for it if he was my teammate, and wouldn't hesitate to make the 20 inning game comment, which was actually pretty funny.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:33 am

i wonder if they would let Perez pitch if the Mets were losing 16-6?

hort, you owe me a call girl! or was the bet for the whole series?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1144)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers