Think you know more about your MLB team than "experts'? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Think you know more about your MLB team than "experts'?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Think you know more about your MLB team than "experts'?

Postby TBuck4401 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:11 pm

I use sites like ESPN and rotoworld for the majority of my fantasy analysis to make my decisions, and think they do a pretty good job. However, I think my "feel" for the fantasy players from my favorite team, the Brewers, is far superior than the "experts." For example, I was much higher on McGehee than any site prior to the season, albeit I didn't predict him to be THIS good. Also, I was convinced during the last week of spring training that Corey Hart was back to the player he was in 07 and the first half of 08. All these predictions/assumptions just come from being a die-hard fan who watches them everday, something no expert possibly can do.

Anyone else feel the same about their team?
TBuck4401
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Think you know more about your MLB team than "experts'?

Postby JRAMI » Fri May 28, 2010 4:31 pm

No, I dont feel this way. I always feel the experts know more than me.
JRAMI
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pochucker » Fri May 28, 2010 5:56 pm

And what was your take on A. Escobar orWeeks --did you forecast Fielders slow start?
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 pm

TBuck4401 wrote:I use sites like ESPN and rotoworld for the majority of my fantasy analysis to make my decisions, and think they do a pretty good job. However, I think my "feel" for the fantasy players from my favorite team, the Brewers, is far superior than the "experts." For example, I was much higher on McGehee than any site prior to the season, albeit I didn't predict him to be THIS good. Also, I was convinced during the last week of spring training that Corey Hart was back to the player he was in 07 and the first half of 08. All these predictions/assumptions just come from being a die-hard fan who watches them everday, something no expert possibly can do.

Anyone else feel the same about their team?

No.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby TBuck4401 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Pochucker wrote:And what was your take on A. Escobar orWeeks --did you forecast Fielders slow start?

My intention wasn't to brag. I think any die-hard knowledgeable fan of their team who watches almost every single game over the span of their players' careers will most likely have a better feel on how that player will perform than an "expert" who only uses trends and limited game film.

But if you really want to know, I don't have Fielder or Escobar on any of my teams, and have Weeks and Hart on all of them. Fielder was the easiest for me to get a read on. Yogi Berra once said "90% of baseball is half mental" Haha. The psychology of the game is so overlooked in fantasy. With Fielder and Hart, it was all about psychology.
TBuck4401
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:26 pm

I think the most you can do is maybe find some extra value on players that you are fairly sure are being undervalued. Mine was Ordonez this year....he was practically written off after having an amazing second half last year...not to mention his first half had a lot to do with serious personal issues that would likely affect anyone at their job.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby mrmarley » Fri May 28, 2010 7:30 pm

TBuck4401 wrote:
Pochucker wrote:And what was your take on A. Escobar orWeeks --did you forecast Fielders slow start?

My intention wasn't to brag.

No worries, one of these guys just got done having dirty thoughts about Lady Gaga and is now feeling ashamed of himself, another guy recently found out Ghost Whisperer got cancelled, and...well, I don't know about the 3rd guy. I'll let you figure out who is who :-/

I think it makes sense that a diehard fan would know more about his team than the some of the experts out there. I personally don't have a team I follow as a diehard, but I consider the Tigers my team since living in MI for 10+ yrs now.

Tom Tango actually requested community projections for playing time from team fans this year for Marcel:

http://www.tangotiger.net/survey/

It would be an interesting experiment to get some diehards together from each team and compare their projections to some expert projections at the end of a season.
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Padsin05 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:01 pm

I understand what you are saying, I was one of the few (only) people who were high on Venable's steal potential this year. Was also high on Latos and Richard, but im not sure if there is a line between analysis and homerism.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Pochucker » Fri May 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Didnt mean to say you were bragging --point I was trying to make was allded to by someone else --more likely fan of team will have more rose colored glasses when it comes to his team ..Would be more impressed if you forecast negatives about home team.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri May 28, 2010 10:02 pm

JRAMI wrote:No, I dont feel this way. I always feel the experts know more than me.

What quantifies someone as a expert? Being on ESPN or MLB? Being a fantasy expert on ESPN, Yahoo? Writing a book? Having a website?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers