Mike Stanton Worth Rostering??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mike Stanton Worth Rostering???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Stanton Worth Rostering???

Postby rayfan4life » Wed May 26, 2010 11:13 pm

Assuming he gets called up early June, anyone got any projections for this guy? I know hitting in Miami isn't going to help him, but what do you think?

400 ABs, .260, 17 HR, 54 RBI...sound reasonable, and is he worth rostering?
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Stanton Worth Rostering???

Postby Skimo77 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 pm

If you're in a keeper league then YES! If not, he's got potential that's for sure... Florida isn't that bad of a lineup if he's hitting near Uggla and Hanley that's for sure... I think he's definitely rosterable.
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby SAKIC_19 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:23 am

According to Rototimes:

Michael Stanton, RF, Florida Marlins Friday 5/28, 9:25 AM CT

Joe Frisaro, the Marlins' beat writer for MLB.com, speculates that Michael Stanton could be called up by the Marlins at some point between June 5-8.

Our View: The Marlins haven't publicly discussed when they plan on bringing the touted prospect up, but it should come at some point in early June over the next week or two. Stanton will probably start out lower on in the lineup, likely at No. 7, though you have to believe he'll play nearly every day. That would mean either Cameron Maybin or reigning NL Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan would be bumped from the lineup, though the two struggling outfielders could potentially platoon.

I am adding today given he should be up in 7-10 days. Worth the gamble.
SAKIC_19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Centerfielder » Sat May 29, 2010 7:59 pm

I have an extra roster spot and was wondering which would be a wiser choice to pick up - Carlos Beltran or Mike Stanton?
Centerfielder
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mblax10 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:43 am

Do you like HR's and K's? Should get a good amount of both from Stanton if/when he's called up.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rayfan4life » Sun May 30, 2010 4:54 pm

mblax10 wrote:Do you like HR's and K's? Should get a good amount of both from Stanton if/when he's called up.

Well, I need the HRs, and I really don't care how he makes his outs if he can hit .260 or so. Do you think that is a reasonable expectation? He seems to be hitting pretty well (.307 at AAA), even with 47 k's in 166 ABs. I'll take that all day long if he continues to hit anywhere near 1 HR every 9.2 ABs. Still, if he hits one every 15 ABs, that would be 400 ABs and about 26 HRs. ThoseHR numbers seem high in general, but everything I read from every scout says this guy has as much power as anyone in the Bigs right now.
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rayfan4life » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 pm

SO - is he going to be the next Heyward, or the next Blanks?
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:19 pm

Centerfielder wrote:I have an extra roster spot and was wondering which would be a wiser choice to pick up - Carlos Beltran or Mike Stanton?

Beltran by a far margin.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:33 pm

I don't care what his strikeout rates are and what he may or may not be. But someone who has 20 bombs and 50 rbi in 2 months is worth a roster spot on my team.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rayfan4life » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 am

DaSh 1s wrote:
Centerfielder wrote:I have an extra roster spot and was wondering which would be a wiser choice to pick up - Carlos Beltran or Mike Stanton?

Beltran by a far margin.

Not sure I agree. Obviously Beltran is going to hit about 50 pts higher in average, but the SB totals aren't a lock given his injuries, and I'd argue what you gain in MLB experience and productivity you lose because (a) Stanton will be up AT LEAST 1 month earlier than Beltran, and (b) the way the Mets handle injuries, I'm not yet sold that Beltran will be able to remain an everyday force when he does return.

Whatis your reason for choosing Beltran hands down over Stanton - do you think Stanton is going to be somewhat of a flop in the bigs? Just curious.
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates