New quality of living study... Vienna = 1st, Baghdad = FAIL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

New quality of living study... Vienna = 1st, Baghdad = FAIL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New quality of living study... Vienna = 1st, Baghdad = FAIL

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 26, 2010 9:40 am

http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1173105

Interesting decisions.......

Top ten:

1 VIENNA AUSTRIA 108.6
2 ZURICH SWITZERLAND 108
3 GENEVA SWITZERLAND 107.9
4 VANCOUVER CANADA 107.4
4 AUCKLAND NEW ZEALAND 107.4
6 DUSSELDORF GERMANY 107.2
7 FRANKFURT GERMANY 107
7 MUNICH GERMANY 107
9 BERN SWITZERLAND 106.5
10 SYDNEY AUSTRALIA 106.3

Auckland seems to have pulled their socks up in these lists with their new emphasis on public transport. And for a city that routinely whacks themselves off over these lists, Melbourne in 18th place is pretty funny. :-b :-b (P.S Melbourne sucks)

USA:

31. Honolulu
32. San Francisco
37. Boston
45. Chicago
45. Washington
49. New York
55. Philadelphia
61. Dallas

No surprises for me at least, those are the top two places in the U.S that I'd most like to live. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New quality of living study... Vienna = 1st, Baghdad = FAIL

Postby The Big Train » Wed May 26, 2010 10:11 am

AussieDodger wrote:http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1173105

Interesting decisions.......

Top ten:

1 VIENNA AUSTRIA 108.6
2 ZURICH SWITZERLAND 108
3 GENEVA SWITZERLAND 107.9
4 VANCOUVER CANADA 107.4
4 AUCKLAND NEW ZEALAND 107.4
6 DUSSELDORF GERMANY 107.2
7 FRANKFURT GERMANY 107
7 MUNICH GERMANY 107
9 BERN SWITZERLAND 106.5
10 SYDNEY AUSTRALIA 106.3

Auckland seems to have pulled their socks up in these lists with their new emphasis on public transport. And for a city that routinely whacks themselves off over these lists, Melbourne in 18th place is pretty funny. :-b :-b (P.S Melbourne sucks)
USA:

31. Honolulu
32. San Francisco
37. Boston
45. Chicago
45. Washington
49. New York
55. Philadelphia
61. Dallas

No surprises for me at least, those are the top two places in the U.S that I'd most like to live. ;-D

You are going to need to write a letter to the editor of The Economist. They did their own list and Melbourne placed third. :-b Sydney, Perth and Adelaide also finished in the top 10.

This list always gets a lot of press coverage here in Vancouver every year and invariably the politicians like to talk it up as if they are personally responsible for the perennial high rankings. I always find it amusing since there is hardly a month that goes by that I don't think about leaving.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 am

If I had to choose between Honolulu and Munich I don't think that I would be picking Munich. Germany may have a high standard of living but not if you are not German.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 26, 2010 10:39 am

I don't know how people live in Hawaii (or other small islands). I'd go stir-crazy. I like a 3,000-mile landmass to drive across if I feel the need.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 am

I wonder where Ciudad Juarez rank?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 26, 2010 1:19 pm

The only city I've visited in the top 10 is Vancouver and I enjoyed the place. I've never been to Germany oddly enough, but I've heard very positive things about Munich. Been to Switzerland, but only on day trips to the ski resorts.

I wouldn't live in Honolulu, personally. It's a nice place, but it's like any big city, with its traffic problems (just as frustrating as L.A. at times) and it can be quite pricey there. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd just be there to get away from it all, go hiking and surfing basically. I love Hawaii as a vacation destination, especially when it's Winter, not as a place to live. It ranks high as a place to live because it's easier to land a pretty good job there and of course, you can't beat the surroundings.

As for the city list, I think Lyon, Barcelona, and even Madrid are underrated. I've visited Amsterdam, Dublin, and Montreal once, but I'd love to visit them again.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 26, 2010 1:24 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I wouldn't live in Honolulu, personally. It's a nice place, but it's like any big city, with its traffic problems (just as frustrating as L.A. at times) and it can be quite pricey there. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd just be there to get away from it all, go hiking and surfing basically. I love Hawaii as a vacation destination, especially when it's Winter, not as a place to live. It ranks high as a place to live because it's easier to land a pretty good job there and of course, you can't beat the surroundings.

Never been to Oahu, but I have visited Maui twice. I would move there in a second if teacher salaries were even close to cost of living expenses. Real estate is absolutely through the roof.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed May 26, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm calling BS on Dallas over Austin for TX.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby thedude » Wed May 26, 2010 7:00 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't know how people live in Hawaii (or other small islands). I'd go stir-crazy. I like a 3,000-mile landmass to drive across if I feel the need.

It is the cost of living that would get you. 80k in Hawaii is like 45k in Texas.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 26, 2010 8:11 pm

thedude wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I don't know how people live in Hawaii (or other small islands). I'd go stir-crazy. I like a 3,000-mile landmass to drive across if I feel the need.

It is the cost of living that would get you. 80k in Hawaii is like 45k in Texas.

I don't think that would bother me. Before moving to my current location, the last two places I lived were the Bay Area and DC and, while they may not be quite as high as Hawaii, they are both expensive places to live.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk