Jack Cust? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jack Cust?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jack Cust?

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 21, 2002 11:53 pm

Does anyone have any information on this guy? I know of his stats and offensive ability and lack of defensive abilities. He is being called the "Barry Bonds of the minors" b/c of the number of walks he is getting.

What I am wondering is if anyone on this board is in Colorado and they have heard any rumors as to when/if he might be called up to the Rockies? I know that in my local paper (Washington Post) we have "Orioles Notes" everyday and it gives tidbits about the organization and possible call ups. Just curious if anyone has read anything new about this phenom?

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Wed May 22, 2002 7:30 am

There's no timetable for a call-up yet. One thing I have heard is that the Rockies aren't terribly worried about Cust's weak glove. There are all sorts of possibilities here, including:

A trade, presumably to an AL team where Cust would serve as a dh.

A call-up, with Cust platooning or joining Pierre and Walker as everyday players (Note: when was the last time you saw the words "Walker" and "everyday" in the same sentence?).

Further seasoning in the minors.

Ok, that much is probably obvious, but the details are anything but. Here's what I feel is the most likely scenario (based on speculation, not inside information):

Cust may very well be called up in time for interleague play, where he can serve as a dh. From there, he should be eased into a reguler of role, although he could be there very quickly if he comes out of the gate with a hot bat. Sometime thereafter, possibly in the off-season, a trade seems likely, as I feel the Rockies see Choo Freeman, not Cust, as their regular outfielder of the future.

At any rate, he's an extremely intriguing prospect, and certainly worth a pick-up in deep mixed or NL-only leagues. If you like to gamble, you might also look at ways to pick him up in an AL-only league as well.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zpalm » Thu May 23, 2002 9:53 am

Jack Cust is the real deal as a hitting prospect. Great power and he is destroying the ball in the minors.

His problem he can't field a lick. Baseball prospect ranks him a top 20 prospect but also stat that he is unquestionably, the worst defensive player EVER to appear in their top 40. He cost his team an amazing 47 runs over the last three years despite playing in left field.

His natural position would be at first base but as he came up with Arizona he moved him to outfield because of Durazo & Grace.

It is highly unlikely that colorado would risk putting this guy in their monsterous outfield. And do you really think he will play 1st over Helton?

Thus his value is small in an NL only league. If he gets traded to an AL team and can play first or better yet DH his value increases. He is an easy 30+ hr guy.

If traded to the American league he could also be worth a shot in a mixed league. But if he stays in colorado he is all but worthless.
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Thu May 23, 2002 11:58 am

Costing a team 47 runs in left field is pretty amazing...

Still, I wouldn't call him valueless if he stays with the Rockies. For one thing, gm Dan O'Dowd has been singing Cust's praises, saying that he isn't as much of a defensive liability as had been expected. Also, you have to like the way Cust is working hard at improving his glove work (not that it looks like he'll ever be above average).

And in terms of opportunity, all it might take for Cust to be called up would be for one of Larry Walker's injuries to flare up again, which is always a distinct possibility.

Of course, Cust isn't a sure thing. There are all sorts of questions surrounding him: his weak glove, the fact that minor league mashers aren't easy to gauge in the first place, the Rockies' current outfield, Choo Freeman, trade rumors, and so on and so on. Still, especially now that the Phillies traded for Jeremy Giambi, I can't think of too many NL hitting prospects who have a better chance of making an impact in the near future.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Thu May 23, 2002 6:05 pm

The perfect trade.....

Jack Cust goes to the Orioles for a pitcher. The Rockies needs pitching and the Orioles need a bat, he could play 1st Base. Perfect match!

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Arlo » Fri May 24, 2002 8:34 am

You're right, that does sound like a good match. There are all sorts of great potential matches in the AL; Boston, for instance, might be another good one. Cust certainly received quite a bit of interest this spring; it will be very interesting to see how this situation develops.

Of course, seeing how you called Prior's first outing, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a trade of Cust to the O's were announced in an hour or two...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Sun May 27, 2007 8:43 pm

was just scanning the old old pages and found this one on cust from 2002....took him a while didnt it?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Return to Baseball Leftovers