Thoughts on the season so far - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Thoughts on the season so far

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on the season so far

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:57 am

I gotta say I am pretty satisfied with how the team has performed so far this season, especially considering how poorly Porcello and Scherzer have pitched.

The Good:

Bullpen has been absolutely sick so far and Zumaya looks better than he ever has, making the aforementioned starters' incompetence even more frustrating because you really only need to get through six innings to get to the bridge of Perry, Zumaya and Valverde, who has arguably been the best offseason signing in baseball to this point.

I've been down on Austin Jackson (and Boesch for that matter) because I am assuming they'll hit the proverbial wall, but taking saber stats out of the mix you have to be ecstatic at Jackson's potential at the top of the lineup. There's also evidence that Boesch might be able to stick at the major league level, but that remains to be seen. Magglio is living up to the expectations I laid out in the preview article and Cabrera is basically the best hitter in baseball so far this year (or Vlad/Morneau). Damon has performed well and does a great job drawing walks, something that seems to have rubbed off on the entire team as we've been near the top in BB all season after being a below average team for a few years.

The Bad and Ugly:

As was the case last year, the bottom of the order is absolutely atrocious. My back hurts from carrying the Santiago bandwagon for almost five years now and I'm starting to think he'll never get a chance to play full time. Everett is garbage and not even that great of a defender anymore and don't get me started on Laird or Inge. I call them "IK" (pronounced "ick") as in Inning Killers. Clever, huh? Sizemore didn't really perform before being sent down and Raburn has been awful so far this season too. Guys like Kelly/Worth are super meh but I can live with these guys because you don't expect much from them and they hardly play anyways. If the 6-9 hitters were driving in runs at even an average level we'd probably have four or five more wins than we currently do. They continue to be frustrating.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Thoughts on the season so far

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 26, 2010 3:05 pm

at this point they're about where i expected, maybe even a little better, but i fully expect a late season collapse
they'll probably go on to win the WS though since a bunch of my buddies all threw down $100 at 25:1ish odds and i decided i didnt want to throw my money away
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Tigers