Best and Worst Nicknames in the game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby Verminator » Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Worst:
Any "Ben" called "Benji" (Molina, Oglivie, etc.)
Stormin Gorman (Thomas)

Best:
Big Hurt (Frank Thomas)
Puddin' Head Jones :-B
Iron Balls McGinty (Actually not baseball... from "The Jerk" :-] )
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 407
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Gurnee, Illinois

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:30 pm

I always liked The Big Cat.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 775
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Colorado

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby Box » Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 am

Snakes Gould wrote:no love for pronk?!


Project Donkey has got to win.


"CarGo" is retarded. I'll take "stupid hollywood nicknaming techniques" for 200, Alex.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1510
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby thatguy27 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:46 pm

Box wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:no love for pronk?!


Project Donkey has got to win.


"CarGo" is retarded. I'll take "stupid hollywood nicknaming techniques" for 200, Alex.


I disagree. The point of nicknames like CarGo, ARod, ect. is not to be cool or original, but to save time/space/words, whatever, when discussing these players. I for one would rather say CarGo than Carlos Gonzalez every time I discuss the guy, or ARod instead of Alex Rodriguez. I don't really consider these nicknames so much as time savers, in the same way that we say PIN instead of personal identification number, or ATM instead of automated teller machine.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 775
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Colorado

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby Box » Sun May 30, 2010 12:15 am

thatguy27 wrote:
I disagree. The point of nicknames like CarGo, ARod, ect. is not to be cool or original, but to save time/space/words, whatever, when discussing these players. I for one would rather say CarGo than Carlos Gonzalez every time I discuss the guy, or ARod instead of Alex Rodriguez. I don't really consider these nicknames so much as time savers, in the same way that we say PIN instead of personal identification number, or ATM instead of automated teller machine.


If the point of your nickname is to save time/oxygen, then you're automatically disqualified from being a cool guy.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1510
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby DbacksRback » Sun May 30, 2010 8:27 pm

Box wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:
I disagree. The point of nicknames like CarGo, ARod, ect. is not to be cool or original, but to save time/space/words, whatever, when discussing these players. I for one would rather say CarGo than Carlos Gonzalez every time I discuss the guy, or ARod instead of Alex Rodriguez. I don't really consider these nicknames so much as time savers, in the same way that we say PIN instead of personal identification number, or ATM instead of automated teller machine.


If the point of your nickname is to save time/oxygen, then you're automatically disqualified from being a cool guy.


Phillies kinda go with this:
Ry How- Howard
JRoll- Rollins
________________________________________

Image
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2875
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 2 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby Verminator » Mon May 31, 2010 12:00 am

Ryan Theriot... nicknamed "The Riot".

Who else could you give a nickname to based purely on how their last name is spelled?
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 407
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Gurnee, Illinois

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby TBuck4401 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:02 pm

The Hebrew Hammer- Ryan Braun

Although I'm sure this nickname hasn't made it out of Milwaukee since race/religion/ethnicity can be a touchy subject that media doesn't want to deal with. I always liked "El Caballo" also since the guy spends his entire off-season riding a horse ranching cattle.
TBuck4401
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 35
Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Mexicutioner Soria
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 318
Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best and Worst Nicknames in the game

Postby Box » Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:Mexicutioner Soria


Big fan of this one. Gotta be top 10 all time.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1510
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], unioreimi and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Apr. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(2:20 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Miami at Miami
(7:08 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Seattle
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact