Webb/Willis/Harden? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Webb/Willis/Harden?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Webb/Willis/Harden?

Postby Estarr » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:12 pm

Who will be this years minor leaguer who moves up and becomes a good pitcher?
Estarr
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bucsfan04 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:17 pm

Of all of those guys, the best is easily Webb. Sure he only had 10 wins last year, but he had a 2.84 era. It will be hard for Dontrelle to repeat his breakout first half.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pibb55 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:33 pm

He was asking whos gonna be the next Webb/Willis/Harden and it's impossible to tell those things in the future. You can know the prospects but you never know when theyre gonna get called up and if they'll perform well enough once they get called up.
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:08 pm

zack greinke seems the obvious bet for that this year. cause he is a top prospect, very advanced for his age, and the royals have no pitching.

also webb and willis kind of came out of nowhere to put up the stats they did. harden was the only real top prospect.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hooligan1-forgot to login » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:17 pm

Scott Kazmir seems a good bet to get called up sometime this year, and Edwin Jackson almost certainly will be, if he doesn't start the year with the Dodgers...... You can project who may get called up, but it's hit and miss on who will actually get an opportunity and perform well when given the chance!
hooligan1-forgot to login

Friendliness: %

Postby Twinskies » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:50 pm

Edwin Jackson...looked very promising in his 3 starts at the end of last year, even beat the big unit ;-D I'd be keeping a close eye on him this year
This field, this game, it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh people will come Ray, people will most definitely come.
Twinskies
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mordraken » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:02 pm

Twinskies wrote:Edwin Jackson...looked very promising in his 3 starts at the end of last year, even beat the big unit ;-D I'd be keeping a close eye on him this year

Spring training stats for Edwin:

4 games, 11.2 IP, 13 hits, 11 runs, 4 BB, 10 Ks.

The Ks are nice, and certainly when 65% of your baserunners score it's bad luck, but he seems to be getting hit pretty hard. The only good news: Good K:BB ratio and no homers allowed.

He did have a good 4 games at the end of last year, but it's a risky pick. Unless I'm loaded with solid pitching, I would probably pass (i.e. I'm not going to rely on him to be a "top starter" for my team).

That said, given the context of the question, I think it's a good suggestion. Another couple might be Dewon Brazleton, Jeremy Affelt, Jimmy Gobble and Rafael Soriano.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:07 pm

Mordraken wrote:
Twinskies wrote:Edwin Jackson...looked very promising in his 3 starts at the end of last year, even beat the big unit ;-D I'd be keeping a close eye on him this year

Spring training stats for Edwin:

4 games, 11.2 IP, 13 hits, 11 runs, 4 BB, 10 Ks.

The Ks are nice, and certainly when 65% of your baserunners score it's bad luck, but he seems to be getting hit pretty hard. The only good news: Good K:BB ratio and no homers allowed.

He did have a good 4 games at the end of last year, but it's a risky pick. Unless I'm loaded with solid pitching, I would probably pass (i.e. I'm not going to rely on him to be a "top starter" for my team).

That said, given the context of the question, I think it's a good suggestion. Another couple might be Dewon Brazleton, Jeremy Affelt, Jimmy Gobble and Rafael Soriano.

well he did say "who will be this years minor leaguer who moves up and becomes a good pitcher" all the pitchers you mentioned have already played in the majors and possibly be starting or at least on the team, like edwin jackson.

also stats can be misleading, he had to outstanding games where he gave up no runs, but has also had to games he got hit hard. to me that's just a young pitcher being inconsistent. also it's just spring training.

Friendliness: %

Postby warrick95 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:21 pm

I think it's too early for Kazmir and Greinke. Kazmir only had seven starts for Single-A St. Lucie last year. Greinke impressed in both AA, but I'd give him one more year. If Greinke's called up, it'll be near the end of the season.

Edwin Jackson seems like the guy to do it this year.

Joe Blanton is the next great Oakland A SP. If there are any problems in the rotation due to injuries or ineffectiveness, look for him to get a callup. He had a ridiculous K/BB ratio in AA last year.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:28 pm

warrick95 wrote:I think it's too early for Kazmir and Greinke. Kazmir only had seven starts for Single-A St. Lucie last year. Greinke impressed in both AA, but I'd give him one more year. If Greinke's called up, it'll be near the end of the season.

Edwin Jackson seems like the guy to do it this year.

Joe Blanton is the next great Oakland A SP. If there are any problems in the rotation due to injuries or ineffectiveness, look for him to get a callup. He had a ridiculous K/BB ratio in AA last year.

i have to disagree with you on that, greinke will be in double a or i have heard he might go to triple a. he is young i will give you that but i don't see how you saw he is a year away when he pitched more in double a then blanton. blanton only pitched 35 innings, which accounts to 5 starts. so really that is a small sample size and he had the advantage being a new pitcher to the league. his number in single a weren't as good. however i do think both will likely be called up this year, i just don't see how you think greinke is that far away when the organization it's self doesn't think so.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers