what are the thoughts on Alfonso Soriano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what are the thoughts on Alfonso Soriano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what are the thoughts on Alfonso Soriano?

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon May 24, 2010 12:10 pm

do we think he is just hot and a good sell high candidate..

or is it a possibility that he's knees were just plaguing him last year and the surgery has done wonders to bring his game back. It wasn't long ago that he was an elite force in this game and he's been pretty dang good so far this year. could he possibly be a great player still that is not a sell high candidate, but insted, keep and watch him dominate the whole season?? :-?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: what are the thoughts on Alfonso Soriano?

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon May 24, 2010 1:26 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:do we think he is just hot and a good sell high candidate..

or is it a possibility that he's knees were just plaguing him last year and the surgery has done wonders to bring his game back. It wasn't long ago that he was an elite force in this game and he's been pretty dang good so far this year. could he possibly be a great player still that is not a sell high candidate, but insted, keep and watch him dominate the whole season?? :-?

I am holding. No one is convinced Soriano is back, so his current hot streak is much more fun than anything you could realistically expect back in a trade.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mkultra » Mon May 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Sell. For the past few seasons, Soriano would have a few weeks early where he'll singlehandedly carry your team, then do nothing for weeks on end. Consistency is not his thing.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby thebawler » Mon May 24, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm thinking keep 'em, hes playing extremely well and I heard he has been doing all the right things work ethic-wise.

I have him on my team and I was a little annoyed how he kept getting days off even though producing offensively at a very high rate, but they are now moving him to cleanup I think he'll be more of an everyday player now and I believe the hitting ability is fully there again, but just not the speed like he used to have.
V.Mart, P.Fielder, Alexi.R, D.Wright, M.Young, S.Drew, D.Lee, A.Dunn, C.Granderson, N.Cruz, G.Jones, Aramis.R

C.Sabathia, S.Baker, J.Sheilds, D.Price, J.Verlander, J.Lackey, M.Cain, T.Hanson. F. Rodriguez, J. Valverde, B. Lidge, J.A. Happ, M. Latos
thebawler
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thatguy27 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:do we think he is just hot and a good sell high candidate..

I am holding. No one is convinced Soriano is back, so his current hot streak is much more fun than anything you could realistically expect back in a trade.

This is my take as well. You probably won't get a whole lot in return if you look to trade him, so just ride it out. I suppose it's worth it to let your league mates know he's available and see what kind of offers you get, but I doubt they'll be to your liking.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 24, 2010 11:51 pm

In a H2H league, I'd sell if you can get any good value for him.

He's a head case, and you'll be one, too, if you rely on him in anything other than a roto league.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby urbanbreez » Tue May 25, 2010 12:24 am

StlSluggers wrote:In a H2H league, I'd sell if you can get any good value for him.

He's a head case, and you'll be one, too, if you rely on him in anything other than a roto league.

Roto League? He's streaky. Predictably streaky. I think he's perfect for H2H with this HRs in bunches he can carry your team for a week. If you play in a daily league, even better. Pull him when he's cold and wait for the next 3/4. He's a perfect OF3 and so far, an excellent value for his draft position.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 am

urbanbreez wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:In a H2H league, I'd sell if you can get any good value for him.

Roto League? He's streaky. Predictably streaky. I think he's perfect for H2H with this HRs in bunches he can carry your team for a week. If you play in a daily league, even better. Pull him when he's cold and wait for the next 3/4. He's a perfect OF3 and so far, an excellent value for his draft position.

I prefer the opposite approach. You can make a good bet on the streaks balancing out in roto.

In H2H, he can cost you weeks. Sure, he can win you them, too, but I prefer not to expose myself to the downside risk.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Return to Baseball Leftovers