Talk me off of the ledge! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Talk me off of the ledge!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Talk me off of the ledge!

Postby Frappy » Sun May 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Ugh! This, to me, is the embodiment of baseball as well as it's fantasy side.

I was setting up my rotation for the now-ending week a while ago, and I came across a dilemma in my final starter slot. There I had a pitcher who, arguably, had one of the worst season starts in the majors. He was to have a two-start week however, and I enjoyed his strikeout rate compared with the strikeout tendencies of the upcoming opponents. With an hour left before lineup locks, I consulted the forums. After a quick briefing with a few members, I decided to drop this struggling pitcher for Jhoulys Chacin and his projected two-start.

Well, back to present time, and here I am now - having lost this week by 30 points. It's a frustrating loss, made significant by the fact that it was to a competing division rival. Now I look back at the pitcher I drop, and wonder.. Edwin Jackson scored over 40 points on the week, as opposed to Chacin's 6 (Just one start). If I left my lineup alone, If I went out for a darn gallon of milk that hour before lock time, If I just... Ugh!

Now Jackson has been picked up by someone else.

I played the numbers, the history, the matchups, the trends.. I made the right move, right?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Talk me off of the ledge!

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 23, 2010 6:52 pm

too many people panic, sure Chacin didn't allow a run in the last couple times out but it was bound to happen. Don't get me wrong i think Chacin has the goods but not this fast this soon type. Edwin is looking at pitching quite better from his last couple peripherals so i can see the miscalculation there. Just next time try to look past the numbers and at the peripherals. Judge the lineups accordingly and know that esp for rookies extending that type of success just doesn't happen to that degree. I do think you panic dropped Edwin though... I can see him coming around.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Sun May 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Two good things, it's still May and it's only one loss.

We all make mistakes when it comes to who to sit and start. How many people sat Braden when he pitched against the Rays a couple weeks ago?
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LMack » Sun May 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Unfortunately past statistics in no way, shape or form can flawlessly predict the future.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Frappy » Sun May 23, 2010 7:00 pm

It doesn't have much to do with who I picked up, Jackson would have been the only pitcher able to produce enough to give me the matchup. The drop may have been rushed, but I just couldn't bring myself to start him at the last minute. I didn't see those huge numbers coming!

Edit: Just saw the last two posts, and all of it is true. Would you have started Jackson though?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Sun May 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Why roster a pitcher if you're not going to start him? I start all my pitchers unless it is a horrendous matchup against certain teams; yanks, rays, Phillies...

So yea, I would have started Jackson.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j24jags » Sun May 23, 2010 8:06 pm

I dropped Edwin in a league, get over it, it happens, whatever, you'll make a pickup that makes up for it sometime ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Frappy » Sun May 23, 2010 8:08 pm

j24jags wrote:I dropped Edwin in a league, get over it, it happens, whatever, you'll make a pickup that makes up for it sometime ;-D

;-D Yeah, all things considered I should really consider myself lucky.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers