Oh Mat Latos I love you so - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oh Mat Latos I love you so

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oh Mat Latos I love you so

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Equipped with mid 90's heat on a sinking fast ball thrown on a downward plane (thanks in large part to his "Fall N Tall" delivery) and incredible command of his off speed pitches. Anyone else digging the change-up? This 6'6 baby faced blond haired fire baller just might be what the doctor ordered for FF salvation

his past: 35IP 19H 5ER 6BB 29K ;-D

hope people got him on a buy low...
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oh Mat Latos I love you so

Postby Pochucker » Sun May 23, 2010 6:38 pm

I did. He was drafted in our league but dropped fairly early. I picked him up but dropped shortly thereafter --however picked him up again and have been enjoying the fruits of his labor last three weeks!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun May 23, 2010 7:06 pm

MiLB career: 216 K to 47 BB in 184.2 IP, which is 10.5 K/9 against 2.3 BB/9. Couple that with a 47.9% GB rate last year and you have rate stats that are almost a carbon copy of Lincecum's 2009 season. Even if it's the minors, that is just straight up awesome. ;-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:MiLB career: 216 K to 47 BB in 184.2 IP, which is 10.5 K/9 against 2.3 BB/9. Couple that with a 47.9% GB rate last year and you have rate stats that are almost a carbon copy of Lincecum's 2009 season. Even if it's the minors, that is just straight up awesome. ;-D

there any projections for Latos? I noticed he was basically baseball's best pitcher this spring as well. I think his first couple starts scared some people off but this kid is the real deal ;-D
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun May 23, 2010 7:23 pm

He appears to have figured out lefties after having a rocky time against them last year (6.19 FIP, 5.74 xFIP last year, 3.55/4.14 this year), and he cut his walk rate in half. He's not a reliable ace yet, but this year I'd safely project 3.60/1.18 ratios with about 7 K/9. Thing is, he pitched only 100 innings in '09, and the Padres are going to want to be cautious with him. I wouldn't expect anything more than 150 IP.

At his peak, barring injury or yips, he'll likely put up Haren-esque numbers (maybe with a few less K's). I was going to write a ManCRUSH of the Week article on him back in February, but school got in the way.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Drafted him in the last round of my league's minor league draft a couple years ago when I really didn't know much about him, but I'm definitely glad I did. Loving his recent success.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:He appears to have figured out lefties after having a rocky time against them last year (6.19 FIP, 5.74 xFIP last year, 3.55/4.14 this year), and he cut his walk rate in half. He's not a reliable ace yet, but this year I'd safely project 3.60/1.18 ratios with about 7 K/9. Thing is, he pitched only 100 innings in '09, and the Padres are going to want to be cautious with him. I wouldn't expect anything more than 150 IP.

At his peak, barring injury or yips, he'll likely put up Haren-esque numbers (maybe with a few less K's). I was going to write a ManCRUSH of the Week article on him back in February, but school got in the way.

i think thats about spot on a projection for him neato... Haren makes a pretty obvious comparison to me as well. I do think and just like Haren's command that he will be able to increase his K total some down the line but i dont expect him to really eclipse 8 for a few seasons yet. You really have to love a pitcher with this much upside playing for the Padre's. I think he's a stud in the making given appropriate development time and health progression.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:44 am

Drafted him in every league. Only problem is I remember some early talk about how he'll be shut down early. Innings cap.
Lovin it till then I guess.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon May 24, 2010 2:34 am

Got him off waivers in my NL only league. Some guy dropped him before the season started and I scooped him up April 3rd. This guy's best SP was Randy Wells whom he also dropped a week ago, and yes, I also scooped him up for free as well. The guy who dropped Latos and Wells had Kyle Lohse, Anibal Sanchez, Homer Bailey, Dave Bush and Zach Duke as the other SPs he drafted. So clearly he was overloaded with pithcihg talent and had no need for the scrubs he dropped. Luckily for him, he was able to find such gems as Rodrigo Lopez and Livan Hernandez on the waiver wire.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby Nerfherders » Mon May 24, 2010 4:21 pm

I picked him as my 5th pitcher in my 30-teamer, and he's quickly turned into the best of the 5, possibly right there with Marmol. My only problem is that I also have J Sanchez and theyve faced eachother 3 times this year already, Sanchez being the tough-luck loser of those matchups twice. I'd love for those two to get their rotation slots off the same days!
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers