john jaso - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

john jaso

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: john jaso

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 am

According to the St Petersburg Times, "John Jaso, the rookie lefty-swinger, is likely to stay atop the lineup against right-handed starters for a while. Maddon said he'd think more Monday and today about who to use against lefties, with B.J. Upton — who was on base five times Sunday — the leading candidate. It's particularly relevant this week as the Rays face what Maddon jokingly considers three Jays lefties — Brian Tallet and Brett Cecil, who actually throw left-handed, and righty Shaun Marcum, who gets out lefty hitters as if he does too."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby vykeengfan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:38 am

let's play the rank 'em game for a points league:
jaso
napoli
barajas
martin
benji

and where does santana fit in if/when he gets the call up?
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:25 pm

can't play rank 'em for a points league without the scoring system, and most people (myself included) don't have time figure out how the system would apply. it's a sad fact, but as a points league player (myself included), you just have to learn how to figure that stuff out on your own until some wildly popular and accepted scoring format is created (so, forever)

:-/

i prefer asking for stats comparison that are relevant to my league and then using the feedback to fill in my scoring system. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby saemick » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 pm

So, would you rank Jaso over Doumit for this year then ?
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MakeItVibrate » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 am

Well i just dropped weiters for jaso. I need production and weiters isnt cutting it.
Link to my current 2013 roster-----------> http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=457832
MakeItVibrate
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 am

MakeItVibrate wrote:Well i just dropped weiters for jaso. I need production and weiters isnt cutting it.

overreaction that i think will come back to haunt you
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby soty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:22 am

Havok1517 wrote:
MakeItVibrate wrote:Well i just dropped weiters for jaso. I need production and weiters isnt cutting it.

overreaction that i think will come back to haunt you

Have to agree here.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:52 am

I don't know, I honestly think Weiters isn't going to be a top 10 catcher this year. He needs more time. Jaso, assuming he gets PT and especially if he stays leading off, will most certainly be somewhere around the 8th-10th best catcher in the league.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Zito is God wrote:I don't know, I honestly think Weiters isn't going to be a top 10 catcher this year. He needs more time. Jaso, assuming he gets PT and especially if he stays leading off, will most certainly be somewhere around the 8th-10th best catcher in the league.

Still, this thread seems to have taken a turn from curious interest in Jaso to flat-out obsession quite suddenly

Even with this leadoff roll, he still had last night off after a team day off, and between June 1 and June 4, he had exactly 1 AB.
I mean, this is a guy whose had 10 RBI in the last 14 TB games, but they've come in only 3 of the 10 games where he got a majority of the ABs.
He's also generated XBH in only 2 of those 10 games. He's getting sporadic playing time and only reliably producing support for your BA category from week to week.

I like the guy, and I think he should be a reliable starter at catcher if he can get the PT, but there's not enough proof yet that he'll get it.
At least, not enough to dropping the likes of Weiters or Doumit.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:17 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I like the guy, and I think he should be a reliable starter at catcher if he can get the PT, but there's not enough proof yet that he'll get it.
At least, not enough to dropping the likes of Weiters or Doumit.

So then more dropable catchers would then be along the lines of Pierzynski, Soto, Ruiz, Pudge, Bengie, Ramon Hernandez and/or Kendall?

I'm also trying to guage his 'can drop for' point. I was scouting Jaso, Hannigan and Max Ramirez early this year and people thought I was crazy, but 2 of the 3 have been decdent adds as of late. Jaso obviously is the stand out, and Hannigan up until the DL stint and before that filling in for Ramon wasn't a half bad add either. Ramirez has a been a bust, but I'm also in the Santana boat. Carrying Santana on my bench and starting AJ, but Pierzynski has been all over the board thus far and at this point his 2HR and 14RBI do nothing for me, while I wasn't expecting high power numbers the .219 average is the most discouraging of these numbers.

Honestly in anything bigger then a 14 teamer (the one I have AJ in is an 18 teamer) I think Jaso, even with his off days, would be a much more productive option then the likes of AJ, Ruiz, Pudge or even guys like Soto (who is being robbed of PT by Koyie Hill now), Martin (who over the last 21 days has a .214 ave, 1 HR, 8RBI) or Chris Snyder (who has fallen off since filling in, last 21 days carrying a .167 ave).

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers