john jaso - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

john jaso

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: john jaso

Postby soty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 am

StlSluggers wrote:
soty wrote:I have been watching him closely lately. The fact that he batted lead off and the numbers he put up has officially caught my attention. Problem is I already have Martin at catcher with Santana in waiting.

Doesn't sound like you have any problem at all. ;-D
Good point. My issue (problem) is getting someone to produce for me while waiting for Santana.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:33 am

soty wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
soty wrote:I have been watching him closely lately. The fact that he batted lead off and the numbers he put up has officially caught my attention. Problem is I already have Martin at catcher with Santana in waiting.

Doesn't sound like you have any problem at all. ;-D
Good point. My issue (problem) is getting someone to produce for me while waiting for Santana.

fwiw, i'm in the same boat. jaso's doing well enough for me, though my contract team had no chance this year

long-term, i'm thinking of what to do with jaso if he keeps this up and santana comes around. i imagine he'd be great trade bait, but with an OBP like that, he'd also be a very consistent, reliable backup.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby soty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 am

StlSluggers wrote:
soty wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:Doesn't sound like you have any problem at all. ;-D

fwiw, i'm in the same boat. jaso's doing well enough for me, though my contract team had no chance this year

long-term, i'm thinking of what to do with jaso if he keeps this up and santana comes around. i imagine he'd be great trade bait, but with an OBP like that, he'd also be a very consistent, reliable backup.

Right thats why I am thinking of adding him to my team, but just not sure its worth cutting Martin for him? Sounds like you are in a real good situation with your catcher spot. ;-D
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:03 am

assuming santana doesn't go all weiters on us
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 am

StlSluggers wrote:well, yadi's got a guaranteed gig. jaso's biggest risk was shopach's return.

at this point, i'm liking his chances of getting better PT after shoppach's return more, but many managers will still trade better pitcher-managers for offense. the best answer on this would come from someone with insight into how TB views shoppach as a pitcher's catcher in comparison to how they fell on jaso

fwiw, this is purely opinion:

Jaso's playing time has held up pretty well with the return of Kelly Shoppach and Sunday's spot atop the lineup and in the DH role should be an indication that the playing time will stay going forward. Jaso responded to his 2nd day batting leadoff with a 3-5 effort that included a HR, 5 RBI's, 2 Runs, and getting on base 4 times in 6 PA's. His great BB Rate and good Contact approach has gotten the attention of Rays manager Joe Maddon and it's pretty clear Jaso is here to stay. We've been on him since the very beginning and continue to believe he'll be a solid back-end Catcher1 in most formats and an obvious play in 2-catcher leagues. Don't be concerned with Shoppach's return, the Rays recognize Jaso's talent and while the PT might take a very small short-term hit while the Rays figure out what to do with Navarro and/or Shoppach, Jaso will stay.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby soty » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:04 pm

StlSluggers wrote:assuming santana doesn't go all weiters on us

This is very true. I am really starting to think about dropping Martin for Jaso until Santana gets the call. Am I crazy for even thinking this?
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby k.k. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:09 pm

soty wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:assuming santana doesn't go all weiters on us

This is very true. I am really starting to think about dropping Martin for Jaso until Santana gets the call. Am I crazy for even thinking this?

I'm in the same boat with Yadier Molina. Really wanting to drop him for Jaso, but reluctant to do it up.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Philly_05 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Sounds like everyone who is considering Jaso is in somewhat the same situation. Like many others I have Carlos Santana stashed on my bench. I even have Wieters who has been a huge disappointment and Jesus Montero. I'm thinking about cutting ties with Montero to get Latos off the wire. But I really can't see having Jaso on my team can I really ride with 4 catchers if my Latos claim fails lol. :-)
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 522)

Postby acon44 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 am

I have Posada as my C so I am good with that... but I have Cervelli to back him up and basically play for him when he is off, which is normally 1-2 times a week.

Jaso is available, do I swap Cervelli for Jaso? I think he's better overall my concern is more about him actually playing when Posada is off though...
acon44
College Coach
College Coach

Postby k.k. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:54 am

I have now added Jaso after dumping a back-end SP, and it's going to be a one week showdown on my roster between Jaso and Y.Molina to see who stays and who goes. I have to get Nelson Cruz off the DL on Sunday or Monday. Yadier got the night off last night, but does usually go at least 5 starts a week if not 6. Jaso, a lefty, could face left Tallet tonight when the Rays play the Jays, if he's in the lineup. Last week Maddon had Navarro in as a righty bat when facing some lefties. I sure hope that trend doesn't continue as obviously it will hurt Jaso's value for any of us.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers