Google ready to take over television - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Google ready to take over television

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Google ready to take over television

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

DbacksRback wrote:i dont care about tv but the homepage today is pacman and you can actually play it ;-D

Click insert coin twice and you get Ms. Pac-Man. Click on it three times and you get both Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man...control one with your keyboard arrows and the other with the WASD keys.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
bleach168 wrote:http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/logitechs-google-tv-companion-box-includes-smartphone-apps-we/

I can already watch Netflix, Youtube, downloaded movies, etc on my HDTV. What really excites me is the ability to use my smartphone as a remote control.

There's an Android app called GMote that allows for this, I've had it for a while. It's not just a novelty either, it's actually useful, and you can stream audio to your phone over wi-fi from your home network. At my friend's house, I loaded the GMote program on his laptop and controlled it from the couch with my phone while the AV was plugged into his HDTV. Has volume controls, fast forward, rewind, all that jazz right on the device, which makes any Android phone a touch-screen remote, essentially.

Very cool. I'll look into GMote. But afaik, there isn't anything out yet that will let me control the DVR with my android phone. I would rather an iPhone app because I will always have my android phone with me but I can easily leave my ipod touch at home for others to use as a remote.

I am so excited about 2.2. Phatferd, that EVO is a beast! You're not going to regret that decision. If I were you I would keep that iPhone as an awesome mp3 player.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Tavish » Fri May 21, 2010 11:49 pm

bleach168 wrote: If I were you I would keep that iPhone as an awesome mp3 player.

There won't be much of a reason to keep the iPhone as an mp3 player once Google's ideal of market domination comes to fruition. Local storage will become a thing of the past, welcome to the cloud / thin client revolution. The Apple concept of "look at me I have 200 GB of storage on my iPod" will not be able to hold a candle to what is to come.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat May 22, 2010 12:25 am

The HTC Evo 4G looks pretty sweet. Sprint's 4G isn't in all markets yet though, which makes us folks with a brand spanking new HTC Incredible (I recently upgraded Droid for one :*)) feel better about not having the definite best Android phone. :-b Only drawback is that Evo and the Incredible won't get the 2.2 upgrade so quickly, until there's a 2.2 that works well with Sense UI. The speed upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 seems marginal, from what I've read and heard, but the big thing is it has the newest Flash for mobile, rather than Flash Lite.

As far as local storage goes, it's not going away per se, especially when most folks want to ensure they take their music library with them on the go. However, cloud storage is great when you don't have to transfer a large amount of data from device to device. This is fantastic for watching your favorite movies/TV on the go. Methinks, Apple and Google are building cloud storage centers to deliver such a service.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby bleach168 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:39 am

Tavish wrote:
bleach168 wrote: If I were you I would keep that iPhone as an awesome mp3 player.

There won't be much of a reason to keep the iPhone as an mp3 player once Google's ideal of market domination comes to fruition. Local storage will become a thing of the past, welcome to the cloud / thin client revolution. The Apple concept of "look at me I have 200 GB of storage on my iPod" will not be able to hold a candle to what is to come.

Well, it's not JUST an mp3 player. :-b That's what I would use it for, but access to apple's app store which still has things not available on android is worthwhile. Combine the iPhone with the EVO's wimax hotspot capability and your iPhone can do 95% of the things it used to do but now at 4g speeds.

The Artful Dodger wrote:As far as local storage goes, it's not going away per se, especially when most folks want to ensure they take their music library with them on the go. However, cloud storage is great when you don't have to transfer a large amount of data from device to device. This is fantastic for watching your favorite movies/TV on the go. Methinks, Apple and Google are building cloud storage centers to deliver such a service.

Dropbox is already here and it's great. I don't know if it is great enough to pay $10 a month to stream my music through them though. I don't see Apple doing it without charging lots of money. Google is our only hope.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to General Talk