The No-Man's Land of Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The No-Man's Land of Fantasy Baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The No-Man's Land of Fantasy Baseball

Postby tiggis » Wed May 19, 2010 8:44 pm

I am sure at some point in your Fantasy Baseball career you have swirved somehow into the land of darkness and despair called No-Man's land.

What is this?... Some of you are not familar with the term? Please allow me to enlighten you on the subject.

I play in two long standing leagues, as usual I am winning league 1.. but the other league is another story.

Drafting from position 11 (of 12 teams, standard yahoo roto), I ended up with a very good team and surprised myself with the end result...

Then the problems hit... 4 All Star pitchers who just cannot find it yet.... a gaggle of 300+ lifetime hitters who just cannot hit it yet... and me sitting in 11th place.... moving up 5... moving down 5 day after day.

No Man's land is the point where your players are too valuable to dump.. but are not performing anywhere near their proven track records.

Here is my roster:

1st =Miguel Cab
2nd =Howie Kendrick
3rd = Aramis Ramírez
SS = Stephen Drew
OF = Michael Bourn
OF = Carlos González
OF = Shane Victorino
Util = Mark Teixeira
Util = Brad Hawpe
BN = Hideki Matsui
BN = Scott Rolen

Pitching looks like this

SP = Dan Haren
SP =CC Sabathia
RP = Jonathan Broxton
RP = Frank Francisco
P= Mike Pelfrey
P= Clayton Kershaw
P = Josh Beckett
P = Ervin Santana
P = Joba Chamberlain
P = Fernando Rodney

So I am stuck waiting for the men to start playing up to their averages, without the possibility of getting anywhere near full value.

That my friends is the prison I am in.
33 points out of first, but I actually still feel I will finish in the top 5 and maybe take the Yoo-Hoo.
Fantasy Angel
Yes I am a southern girl.
Yes that is my photo,
Yes I can kick your butt in Fantasy Baseball,
Fantasy Angel's Sure Fire Breakout/Post Hype Player
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=404816
tiggis
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The No-Man's Land of Fantasy Baseball

Postby Box » Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 pm

No Man's Land = Grady Sizemore at the plate. %-6
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 pm

when i think about a situation like this, one of my favorite bands of all time come to mind with a song of theirs.. Guns N Roses, Patience.
its going to be satisfying once struggling players start to come around and you move up higher and higher in the standings
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm in a keeper right now where I have a decent team (finished 4th of 16 last year, this year am middle-of-the pack so far).

Problem is, I literally don't have a single guy who would be drafted in the first 5 rounds of a fantasy baseball draft. My entire team is made up of middle-tier talent. It makes it almost impossible to improve, and I don't like the idea of completely blowing the team up when the team is competitive....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed May 19, 2010 10:55 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:I'm in a keeper right now where I have a decent team (finished 4th of 16 last year, this year am middle-of-the pack so far).

Problem is, I literally don't have a single guy who would be drafted in the first 5 rounds of a fantasy baseball draft. My entire team is made up of middle-tier talent. It makes it almost impossible to improve, and I don't like the idea of completely blowing the team up when the team is competitive....

What kind of league is it? Because in H2H, there's no reason to blow up the whole team, since it appears you are making the playoffs each year, and once you make the playoffs, anything can happen. If it's roto, I would argue that it's going to be pretty difficult to ever win without a top 5 round pick. You don't have to blow up the team, but I would take more chances pertaining to who you keep and who you draft.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Padsin05 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:26 pm

you can drop matsui and beckett and be just fine
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Nerfherders » Thu May 20, 2010 3:58 pm

My 16-teamer has me in no-man's land right about now, though I have been making some changes in the last couple weeks to try to improve, and it's worked - Ive gone from 14 to 8 as of last night.

But I still have some players just downright not getting the job done. (round taken in parenthesis)

2B - Figgins(4)
3B - Chipper(5)
SS - E Cabrera(11)
MI - Scutaro(13)
OF - Sizemore(2)
OF - McClouth(7)

That's half the team struggling, and 4 of the other half have been replaced by the likes of Ross, Glaus, Hinske, and Boesch. Those 4 plus Howard are the only reason why my SLG has gone from .375 to .395.

So I just have to wait it out with these six guys and hope they come through. McLouth at least seems to be coming around a bit.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm in no man's land in my 2 H2H leagues - 9th out of the 12 teams in both leagues. Doing well in my 3 roto leagues, 1st in two, 4th in another - all 12 team leagues. I'm not too worried about the H2H teams, as I know my teams are better than their records. Top 6 makes the playoffs, so I'm confident I'll be in it come September.

This team in particular is far too good to be in the bottom quarter of the league. Offense is solid top to bottom, SP is decent but not special, which is fine in a H2H league, RP is pretty damn good with 3 solid closers and Qualls.

C - Brian McCann
1B - Justin Mornea
2B - Chase Utley
3B - David Wright
SS - Jimmy Rollins
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Carlos González
OF - Brett Gardner
Util - Adam Dunn
Util - Lance Berkman
BN - Chase Headley
BN - Chris Young

SP - Francisco Liriano
SP - Clayton Kershaw
RP - Joakim Soria
RP - David Aardsma
RP - Chad Qualls
RP - Matt Capps
P- Jaime García
P - Justin Verlander
BN - C.J. Wilson
BN - Derek Holland
BN - Colby Lewis
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Nerfherders wrote:My 16-teamer has me in no-man's land right about now, though I have been making some changes in the last couple weeks to try to improve, and it's worked - Ive gone from 14 to 8 as of last night.

But I still have some players just downright not getting the job done. (round taken in parenthesis)

2B - Figgins(4)
3B - Chipper(5)
SS - E Cabrera(11)
MI - Scutaro(13)
OF - Sizemore(2)
OF - McClouth(7)

That's half the team struggling, and 4 of the other half have been replaced by the likes of Ross, Glaus, Hinske, and Boesch. Those 4 plus Howard are the only reason why my SLG has gone from .375 to .395.

So I just have to wait it out with these six guys and hope they come through. McLouth at least seems to be coming around a bit.

Honestly, I don't have much hope for any of those guys turning it around - at least not to the point that they're producing at the level you hoped for when drafting them. That's tough luck man.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 pm

tiggis wrote:Here is my roster:

1st =Miguel Cab
2nd =Howie Kendrick
3rd = Aramis Ramírez
SS = Stephen Drew
OF = Michael Bourn
OF = Carlos González
OF = Shane Victorino
Util = Mark Teixeira
Util = Brad Hawpe
BN = Hideki Matsui
BN = Scott Rolen

Pitching looks like this

SP = Dan Haren
SP =CC Sabathia
RP = Jonathan Broxton
RP = Frank Francisco
P= Mike Pelfrey
P= Clayton Kershaw
P = Josh Beckett
P = Ervin Santana
P = Joba Chamberlain
P = Fernando Rodney

Your hitting ain't doing so bad, and at least you can play Rolen while Aramis figures things out. Your only starter to worry about is Beckett. The others - Haren, Sabathia, Kershaw, Pelfrey - are all fine, as is Broxton. If you're expecing a big turnaround you're probably going to be disappointed. Might want to snag another closer or two though. There are always a ton to be had from the wire in Yahoo leagues. Grab Villanueva if you can, and dump Fernando Rodney. He's as useless as tits on a bull.

In my only Yahoo Public league I have Ellsbury, Aaron Hill, Julio Borbon, Rollins, Qualls, Mike Gonzalez, and Huston Street. Three of my first five picks have barely even played at all. I'm in 5th place right now, but once things turn around I'm sure it'll be smooth sailing. The trick to Yahoo leagues (and mot shallow leagues in general) is investing a LOT in hitting, and using the waiver wire as your friend to help in the pitching categories. It's always easy to grab a hot SP or closer from the wire, so there's no sense in spending a lot to get them in the draft/auction.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers