Need to drop a starter, can't decide who. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need to drop a starter, can't decide who.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:19 am

Baseballer02 wrote:Just offered somebody Wilson and Redman for Posada. He's got a crappy pitching staff so here's hoping he'll accept.

That would be a good trade for you. ;-D

If it doesn't happen, then go for Pudge/Piazza. If you can't work out a deal for a catcher, then target an upgrade at 3B.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:10 pm

3b maybe, but I might look at another outfielder. Jaun Gone may get off to a burning start, then packeage him in a deal to get a catcher and a more solid outfielder, like chipper. Ensburg might be a weak link as well, but I'm not sure I like relying on Alex Sanchez to be a full time util and backup OF in case someone goes down (Juan Gone). Bottome line, you have an abundance of good pitching and at least some question marks in the line up. pre-season trades are harder to do, but it makes sense for you to gove up some pitching, even if it is one of your frontline guys, to get more assured hitting.

I prefer let the season start, maybe shake for a month or so, then look at who might be overvalued (Carl Everett, Juan Gone, Kyle Lohse) then try to deal them for more solid guys who may have had a slow start, like Jim Thome, Miguel Tejada, something like that. In this case, you need a catcher, so I'd watch the FA wire. Many catchers start the season hot because they are not yet tired from the rigors of a long season of catching (Mike Matheny last year). Then, after the season shakes a bit, make a deal for posada and a frontline 3b or OF.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby ferris182 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:22 pm

I prefer let the season start, maybe shake for a month or so, then look at who might be overvalued (Carl Everett, Juan Gone, Kyle Lohse) then try to deal them for more solid guys who may have had a slow start, like Jim Thome, Miguel Tejada, something like that. In this case, you need a catcher, so I'd watch the FA wire. Many catchers start the season hot because they are not yet tired from the rigors of a long season of catching (Mike Matheny last year). Then, after the season shakes a bit, make a deal for posada and a frontline 3b or OF.

I do the same thing..... ;-D
ferris182
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Homebrewer » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:20 pm

Good staff. Sounds like you're getting solid advice here. Just a little emphasis on one point: don't unload Contreras just yet. He's a K machine who seemed to get his feet under him by the end of last year. And the Yankee rotation is a tad wobbly.

Start with Redman and Williams and if you can't pull off a reasonable deal, hang on and pick your spots for starts until someone becomes tradeworthy.
Homebrewer

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:27 pm

If this were my team I would be doing anything I can to upgrade my C by packaging Dtrain Willis in a deal.

Do not touch Contreras.

Willis is still living off hype, and you might get good value for him before the secret is out.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:29 pm

1) No one who has Sanchez at util (& is banking on Gonzalez to stay healthy) can say "I really don't need anything."

2) If he doesn't take it (he shouldn't) offer a better starter & Wilson for Posada

3) Play Konerko over Sanchez (see if there is any interest in him, totally 1 dimensional, will hurt your other cats, & you have Soriano) when he faces rightys, & find someone else who can hit to play there the rest of the time.

Friendliness: %

Postby jbuk » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:44 pm

I'd also be looking for another Outfielder - Green might not have a big comeback and Juan Gone will get injured at some point.

Keep Contreras whatever you do, he could have a very good season now he sems to have settled in.

I'd probably drop Redman.
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers