Todd Helton advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Todd Helton advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Todd Helton advice

Postby guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:20 am

I currently have Todd helton on my roster. I have to make a decision by Saturday about adding two years to his contract. He is now at $42 I would have to ad $10 and make him $52 and have him this year and next at that price.
Another option is what we call topper rights. I can top the highest bid by $1 at the bids end.And I can keep him for this year only. But if I am bidding and win the bid I would have him for two years at what ever price I win the bid at.
Struds like Helton will go very high at the draft. I peg him for at least $50. And I am prepared to pay that. So if I am willing to pay $50 should I just bite the bullet and add the two years and make him $52 and not worry about losing him. I need his power and average. I also have several keepers from last year that are way under what they you go for at the draft. Even over paying by 7-10 for helton others I will still be way under with my payroll.
Example Webb $2, Willis $1 Kolb $1

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby stumpak » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:50 am

I would dump him. In my opinion it is almost never worth it so take on the downside risk of a contract that big, even if it is Helton. Plus, I woudl imagine that you could get him back for the same price, and if you had to pay a few bucks more, it is well worth it to avoid the long-term contract risk.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyMafia » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:51 am

I saw him hit a 450 ft blast off of Garcia last night. He has added 20 lbs around his chest. The announcers said they think he will hit 50 homers this year. Wish I had him.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bolts801 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:00 am

I'd go out of my way to keep him.

isn't he like a 337 career avg hitter so far?
"Before becoming rich and famous. Just try being rich first."

Bill Murray.
bolts801
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:13 am

How many guys do you have on the cheap side? You listed Webb, Willis, and Kolb for a total of $4. If you have a couple more guys like that, then I'd consider keeping him at $52 for 2 years. If that salary is going to handicap you, then there's no way I'd hang on to him. Probably just rebid and see what happens.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby gus » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:19 pm

I have several more players with low contracts. D. Lee $15. Julio Lugo $1. O. Hudson $5 just to name a few. As I said I have big bucks to go to the draft with and was figuring to spend at least $50 on Helton if I just let him go and rebid. He went for $42 two years ago. The guys in my league over pay for stud player by at least 15-20%. Yes there are alway bargins toward the end but I need lots of help with Average-RBI - and Home Runs. I figure with what I have going back to the drfat I can get Helton, Beltran and Mags without a problem money wise. thats figuring Beltran at $45 Mags at $40 and Helton at $50.
gus

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby djacks » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:24 pm

add $10, keep him 2 more years and don't think twice...
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers